Laser cutting Spider-Man webs

solarcat

So I'm sure most Spider-Man enthusiasts here have seen this video:

The rubber webs he uses made me wonder: has anyone tried laser cutting a sheet of rubber and gluing it onto their suit instead of puff paint? I have access to a pretty huge laser cutter at school, so I might give it a shot. Anyone have some advice on this idea?

The problem with laser things like 'rubber'... is that you often dont get a good cut because the material 'melts'.

I suppose it really counts on what specifically the material is.. and of course the laser settings as well..

LOVED that video when I first saw it!!

For non-prop purposes, I have cut quite a few different foam and rubber materials with a 60W CO2 laser.

-EPDM Rubber cuts quite well and doesn't melt. The edge gets very charred, but cleans up.
-Polyurethane rubber and foams laser-cut cut well with the correct laser settings. (Use less pulses per inch)
-Melamine foam can be laser-cut, it has a charred edge but cleans up very well.

You must have a laser with a good air-assist. Otherwise the foam can ignite and ruin the laser. Make sure that you also have very good, active, fume extraction! Don't attempt to cut foams on a cheap Chinese unit or a Glowforge.

Water-jets are the better/safer way to cut foams and rubbers.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back