Laser Cut Foam?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am playing around with my laser and I got some eva foam. The pattern I am using here is not a foam version but is a paper version that I am going to use Styrene instead of paper to make.

The laser can cut through this stuff like butter. I don't know if I am going to offer this as a service but the results speak for themselves.

ironmanfoam001.png ironmanfoam002.png ironmanfoam003.png ironmanfoam004.png ironmanfoam005.png
ironmanfoam006.png ironmanfoam007.png

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

MrAtombomb

Hi.
I'm surprised more people haven't tried to cut their foam templates using a laser cutting. Tell me, how fast is the process? I understand it all depends on the complexity of the template but maybe you could give us an idea of how long it takes to cut about 10 x A4 templates for say a chest peice or something. Oh and also does the thickness of foam factor into it?
Regards
Lee

Risu

Master Member
Be careful with that, some foams emit a deadly gas when you cut them with a laser.

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Be careful with that, some foams emit a deadly gas when you cut them with a laser.
Yes the foam I tested with is 100% PVC free, I am super picky about cutting materials.

Not sure on the time for a complex design as I have no files made for foam just some paper pep files I am going to cut out of styrene. If someone has a page from a file that is super complex i would gladly do a test.

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think I found a file to use that was made for foam, but I would really love to compare something someone has already done. I am not looking for a complete file just a part of a file that I could cut and compare. Can anyone help me out?

Greg