large volume appliances

bpwmd

i have a question. im trying to make a head appliance (think star wars twielk head tails) and want them to be light weight. whats the best way to make these. i have the original head mold of my model and i have the negitive of the clay sculpture made onto his head in plaster. so i have the cavity. how do i do this. my thought was to do a slush mold of the appliance in the silicone or latex and then fill with light weight expanding foam. but how do i calculate how much to use?

The *best* way is probably foam latex, possibly with some sort of weight near the end to give them the right movement.

If you do expanding foam, the foam you buy should indicate how much it expands (2x, 4x, 6x, etc.). But it's perfectly fine to not fill the whole mold on the first go, in fact, some people prefer not to. Put some in, figure out how much it expands and how much more you'll need, then give it another pour or two.

Ok if I was to make something out I the foam latex how stiff is it? Like how big of a hollow shape can I make before it starts to collapse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also how would i getit tohave the thin wall? do i havetomake a inner leiku?
if you can link me a goodtutorial for making hollow foam latex id be greatful. also is the term appliance the correct term here? thats one of the biggest problems i have is idk exactly what to call some things

You can mix foam latex to be just about any density you want.

And appliance is anything that's getting glued on, so sure, you can call it that. I'm not sure what you're asking about a thin wall and inner leiku. I'm not clear on why you want it hollow, but that just means you'll need a core for your mold. If you look at the molds for Frank Ippolito's Zoidberg (specifically the tentacles) on Tested.com, you'll see some cores. For foam latex information, Mike Spatola's Monstrous Makeup Manual is a good read. I'm sure you can find youtube videos of people using foam latex, as well.

I was using Leiku as an example. Now that I know you're familiar with tested I'm thinking more like Adam savages admiral ackbar

In the very end he says he put a shell in the head but not clear. On how it attatched to Adams head to make sure the shell didn't flop around

Last edited:
You can mix foam latex to be just about any density you want.

And appliance is anything that's getting glued on, so sure, you can call it that. I'm not sure what you're asking about a thin wall and inner leiku. I'm not clear on why you want it hollow, but that just means you'll need a core for your mold. If you look at the molds for Frank Ippolito's Zoidberg (specifically the tentacles) on Tested.com, you'll see some cores. For foam latex information, Mike Spatola's Monstrous Makeup Manual is a good read. I'm sure you can find youtube videos of people using foam latex, as well.

The Making of Adam Savage's Admiral Ackbar Costume - Tested

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back