Large Scale Visitor Squad ship

:eek DAMN!!! Look at that thing primered! Details look spot on. Nice to see photos without the green filler! Awesome stuff. That shot of the person holding it really shows the scale, too. Unbelievable! (y)thumbsup

Pods sections and trim are looking AWESOME. Bummer about the SMT alignment stuff! I wonder if all the castings have that problem. SMT also did one solid model of the ship. Don't remember seeing/hearing any flaws with that one and it looked beautiful all finished!! But I guess you needed the halves for this build! Love the updates!! Great work!!

Tim9d9, here are some pictures of the 1-piece casting from SMT. It has a whole separate group of issues as it was cast differently. You can see the green putty line across the ship front as the top and bottom appear to be off about 1 or 2mm. Not much, but it needs to be fixed. The wing side edges bowed in considerably, even worse than the 2 piece model I am using for the Squad ship. Anyways, I haven't decided which way I'm going with this one. Either in flight or landing gear down. But anyways, either model has issues if you get your hands on one.

Oh my god!!!!.Unbelieveable work.

I have wanted this ship since I was a child.I have been collecting V props for 11 years.

Thanks for keeping V alive.

Okay, some more work here. I am working on the bottom sections of the pods. These are the zinc chromate-ish colored pieces on the bottoms that house the pod landing gear. I mentioned that this ship will be in flying mode, so I'm extrapolating the details there. Each piece is foam core board covered on both sides with styrene sheeting. The visible detail here requires that a circle be cut out, so the second pictures shows how I do it. I mount the sheet to a Dremel Mandrel, and my drill has a lock on the bottom to keep it running. Very carefully, I apply pressure with my knife tip and the circle practically cuts itself. Next, more putty to make all the seams disappear. When these bottoms are complete, I'll move on to the Skyfighter halves. LOTS of work needed on those puppies!:cry But just kidding, this is a labor of love.:love

When these bottoms are complete, I'll move on to the Skyfighter halves. LOTS of work needed on those puppies!:cry But just kidding, this is a labor of love.:love

Know how you feel.. I've got to do a lot of putty and sanding on my shuttle too.. Looks exactly like the one you have actually.. :lol First time using the stuff or doing anything like this so have been having fun..

Know how you feel.. I've got to do a lot of putty and sanding on my shuttle too.. Looks exactly like the one you have actually.. :lol First time using the stuff or doing anything like this so have been having fun..

You know, I've had these two ships for a few years and all the work was really intimidating. I boxed them up and had them in the garage until I got the wild hair up my rear end and finally got started on them. Good luck, and post pics!

Okay, major construction done on the bottom detail pieces. More putty to eliminate the seams. These pieces on the bottom of the pods are a sort of light colored zinc chromate-ish green. Same color as the front landing gear foot pad and the inside of the gear doors. I always thought it was cool they did this, as well. Just like a lot of fighter aircraft in the past. Anyways, after these are sanded, I'll primer them and give them a few coats of the green. Thanks for looking!

Okay, sanding complete on these pieces and first coat of primer on. I found a few holes after the sanding so there's more putty. I have to sand and add more primer. These will be the light zinc-chromate color, I'm going to custom mix it as the regular zinc chromate does not seem light enough and my local hobby store doesn't have the right shade. Anyways, more to come soon!

Last edited:
Pieces painted green and they'll get a little more detail after this (some tubes, wiring). I'm working on the skyfighter front and back pieces, also. Lots to modify on those. I'm hollowing out the rear "air scoop" seen on all production models. These SMT castings and the current recast offerings on eBay all have the scoop filled in. Will update soon! Thanks!

Pieces painted green and they'll get a little more detail after this (some tubes, wiring). I'm working on the skyfighter front and back pieces, also. Lots to modify on those. I'm hollowing out the rear "air scoop" seen on all production models. These SMT castings and the current recast offerings on eBay all have the scoop filled in. Will update soon! Thanks!

Damn, those look great morrris!! Hope you get this thing altogether soon!! The suspense is killing me!! It's gonna be EPIC.

Okay, I've been working on this concurrently with the other parts. What I've done here is hollowed out the air scoop at the top. NONE of the other reproductions of this model (that I've ever seen) have this feature except the screen used originals. I dremeled out quite a bit of resin and built a new shelf area. Then, I built the insert Isosceles Trapezoid-ish shape out of a balsa core sheeted with styrene. I filled the inside with resin to give it a smooth interior. The port side of the air scoop was low, so I had to raise it in increments to make it equal on both sides. I don't know if that's a fault on the original or a molding problem, but it needed to be fixed. Again, this feature on the rear skyfighter half has always been represented by a black decal or black paint on every single other reproduction model of this ship, except for the actual screen used vehicles. I even use a black decal on my 1/87 scale ships! :) Also, the first coat of primer on the front piece. I'll be primering the back soon. In any case, when I said accurate, that's what I'm shooting for. Enjoy, more to come soon...

Okay, the back now has the first coat of primer. I needed to sand down the scoop part, it needs to be puttied and sanded again to be really smooth. Lots of work on the rear window section, too. There's a lot of mold problems on this, but from the instructions from SMT they show that they just molded the painted model with paint chips, damage, and all. Oh well. More primer, sanding, then I'll start the white coats. Thanks!

Got some time this weekend to spray a first coat of white on all parts of the ship. In the pictures it doesn't look too sparse but I didn't want to coat it too much and have drips, so this is just the first coat. I did get a few small drips, though, so I'll have to fix them when it dries. A bunch of discrepancies popped up with the white that I have to fill, also. I'll probably put on at least 3 coats, maybe more if I need it. I went through an entire can of Krylon (ecccch...I know..) Semi Gloss white. I know the ship models were off-white, but supposedly that was for filming. Every time you see a full size craft, they always look bright white and clean. Very little if any weathering that I could tell. That's another thing you never think about. The crews on the motherships that washed and space-waxed these babies every time they came in! :lol

Over the last couple of days I got some of the piping detail underneath done. These are just hoses, probably hydraulic, I would guess. They might run the landing gear (sounds good, anyways!). The second picture shows the little greebling on the side of these green parts. I'll be doing that next with some styrene rods and small black electrical wire. I have another coat of white on, but it's been fairly windy here in Arizona, and there's a lot of little "things" floating around outside. I sanded the first coat with 400 grit, that seemed to smooth it out pretty well. But it's still didn't cover everything yet, so I can imagine I'll be needing another few coats anyways. Oh well. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Love those details!!! This thing's looking better all the time. Also, that photo of the semi-glossed Skyfighter halves in the previous post looks phenomenal! Great work on that scoop. I've definitely NEVER seen that done before on any other models. Really makes this whole piece stand out even more! This has been an awesome build to watch, thanks for all the updates!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back