Large Scale Boeing 747

Originally posted by nwjedidave@Apr 16 2006, 02:56 PM
Oceanic Airlines ...

(from ABC TVs LOST)

NWJEDI
dave

[snapback]1227334[/snapback]

Hmmmmm... Oceanic was the airline in Executive Decision... White craft with light blue OCEANIC lettering...

Same...?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Clerval+Apr 15 2006, 10:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clerval @ Apr 15 2006, 10:33 PM)</div>
Originally posted by PHArchivist@Apr 12 2006, 09:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Treadwell
@Apr 12 2006, 02:42 AM
Moonraker? Airplane? I don't remember if those were 747s.

[snapback]1224749[/snapback]

Good call Tread... The plane in the opening of Moonraker was a 747. But I don't have a 1/100 scale shuttlle kit... :(
[snapback]1225421[/snapback]

Umm... well... Tamiya's Shuttle is 1/100... just sayin'... :)
[snapback]1227087[/snapback]​
[/b]

I don't have a shutle kit in 1/100 (not "there isn't a kit in 1/100"). ;)

I may have to check out the Tamiya kit...

Last edited:
Originally posted by PHArchivist+Apr 18 2006, 07:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Apr 18 2006, 07:49 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-nwjedidave
@Apr 16 2006, 02:56 PM
Oceanic Airlines ...

(from ABC TVs LOST)

NWJEDI
dave
[snapback]1227334[/snapback]​

Hmmmmm... Oceanic was the airline in Executive Decision... White crafte with light blue OCEANIC lettering...

Same...?
[snapback]1228584[/snapback]​
[/b]

i don't think so... as far as i know ( or what little i know ) oceanic airlines is associated with the TV show LOST... haven't seen all of E.D. and its been years

dave

Oceanic is the Airline in both Executive Decision and Lost. Though, the type of aircraft in the tv show Lost has not actually been identified, its believed to be either a L1011 or an Airbus A340. I say go with the Columbia livery from Airport 75. Its a fun movie and IMO more recognisable. Fun facts = The 747 123 from Airport 75 was one of American Airlines only two 747's. The carrier was more than happy to rent the plane to the movie company because the big jets were not profitable in service. Shortly after, the jet was sold to UPS. It now rests in the airliner graveyard in the New mexico desert.

Originally posted by Samos 3@Apr 18 2006, 10:35 PM
Oceanic is the Airline in both Executive Decision and Lost. Though, the type of aircraft in the tv show Lost has not actually been identified, its believed to be either a L1011 or an Airbus A340. I say go with the Columbia livery from Airport 75. Its a fun movie and IMO more recognisable. Fun facts = The 747 123 from Airport 75 was one of American Airlines only two 747's. The carrier was more than happy to rent the plane to the movie company because the big jets were not profitable in service. Shortly after, the jet was sold to UPS. It now rests in the airliner graveyard in the New mexico desert.
[snapback]1228671[/snapback]

VERY cool post Samos -- and thanks for the pics.

I'e always loved Airport '75, and also am really intrigued by the thought of modeling the hole in the flight deck.

I don't suppose you know how they simulated the hole for the film? Was it all a painted-on effect? Of all the "mysteries" of film effects, that is one that (for me) remains unsolved.

Last edited:
All damage to movie planes is painted on. Thats why you never see a close-up shot of it. The only pain about modeling this subject is the polished metal fuselage. Definately a test of anyones painting skills. Otherwise, replace the red in the American Airlines cheatline with blue and add the Columbia Airlines logo. Make sure to change the registration number - it's N9675. BTW, the '747' painted on the radome only exists in the movie poster - it was not applied to the aircraft. Another fun fact = The small plane in the movie that hits the 747 actually was destroyed in a mid air collision a few years ago. Well... maybe not so much a "fun" fact :unsure

<div class='quotetop'>(jimbobond @ May 14 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]1244168[/snapback]</div>
Can't find a picture but dont forget Austin Powers private 747 in man of mystery ;)
[/b]

I thought of that too. Would be fun. Though technically an anachronism -- 747's didn't exist in service yet whent he film was set. ;)

Last edited:
Is this the Entex kit...? I've been hunting for one, you'll have to add in here how well it builds up, what you think of it...

Good luck.

Its out in the shop at the moment. I don't think its the Entex, but it is VERY nice, especially for an OLD kit... Great panel line details and the shape of the aircrat is dead on.

On the other hand, I have a 1/100 747 from another kit manufacturer that SUCKS. Shape is off completely, no panel lines and NO windows. I'd give it away if someone would pay for the shipping.

Last edited:
There are only two 747 kits in 1/100 scale. The one you have is the kit from the early 70's that has been distributed by Nitto, Doyusha and Entex respectively. The other is the recent release from Hobbycraft of a modern 747 400 series. This is one awful kit. Saw one in a store once and snook a peak inside the box. I hate airliner kits with no windows molded in. Attached are a couple more pics in case you were maybe thinking of doing the "LOST" plane. Stick the tv shows logo on the tail and yer done :p

Thanks Samos.

Yes -- the Hobbycraft kit is horrible... I've never seen a model so far off from the original design. I was so excited that a retailer had it (and for $35) that I made a special trip 90 minutes out of my way to get it. Imagine my disappointment. As I said, I'd GIVE it away if it didn't cost me anything to send it...

So the kit I have is the same molds as the Entex? Good to know. It is a great kit.

And thanks for the Oceanic shots. I wonder if the TV production used the same craft as for Executive Decision (though in the fictional stories there is no connection)? The font and color or the word "Oceanic" appears to be identical as to the ED plane.

Sweet, that's the one I'd been looking for, though Nitto or any box name is fine... again, if you talk up the build a bit, I'd love to hear what you think about it. I've been accurizing the Tamiya orbiter for a while, and would love to match the two. An old family friend was an Air Force One pilot for a time and knew one or two of the pilots who flew the Enterprise around and I've also got (ahem) a few things that Ted Kennedy wrote to NASA on my behalf to get, so...

One of these days I'll have a swallow to carry the coconut.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back