Ladies and Gents from the RPF... I proudly present... WONDER WOMAN!

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Hermes, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hermes

Hermes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sometimes it´s great, isn´t it? The right project at the right time. After making Doom for Adam Jay, we were thinking what to do next, and I always felt that this design was LONG overdue to have a costume made in its image -

[​IMG]

Whilst I have seen an attempt, I always thought that that fell a bit short of what this suit really could be, and therefore I decided to tackle this challenge.

Here is the result -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that moment of realization.... "what the heck am I doing here dressed up like that"?

[​IMG]

In some days, Adam Jay will make a REALLY well-done photoshoot with it, but since my friend was so kind as to help me out during the making of this suit, I thought it would be nice to showcase her a bit wearing it as well :)

My sincerest thanks to my friend, Walkiria Eyre, a great friend of mine, dance teacher and practicioner from Brasília, Brasil :) One of the best in her own milieu.

Questions, comments are welcome :)

:)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

wow

just wow

3. MrAdamJay

MrAdamJay New Member

Such an AWESOME outfit ! I am so HONORED to be able to work with you and bring all your outfits to LIFE with my photography !

4. Lvbolts

Lvbolts Active Member

Well done and you should be proud that is an awesome piece of work.

5. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

Best WW I've seen yet! :)

6. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Excellent Excellent

7. Laamberry

Laamberry Well-Known Member

Oh wow, that's awesome!!

8. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

Fantastic!! :D

9. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Amazing!

10. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Couldn't agree more with all of the posts so far. REALLY fantastic work, and an amazing realization of a great concept! Awesome work!!!! I am personally a huge fan of the more muted colors, and the "real world" approach to this particular interpretation of the character. The craftsmanship also looks absolutely top notch, along with your materials selection.

Really an amazing piece of work.

11. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am with Matt on this. I love the more gladiatorial/Roman military look with the leather skirt and Legion ankle gauntlets. Very cool.

Doc

12. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

Very awesome! The design coupled with the model has a very kingdom come feel to it! I would have loved to have seen a WIP thread to learn how you made this build.

13. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was never really a fan of Wonder Woman costumes...until this exact moment.

It really is a fantastic execution of a great design. Great job.

...now to convince the girlfriend to let me make this costume for her. :lol

-Nick

14. Hermes

Well, Nick... if she never allows you to do it, ask her if I can make her one here and ship it over :) I would gladly make a second one (or a third or a fourth....)

15. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* that's cool. Overall. Top notch

16. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

That's soooooo coooool!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

17. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

My wife would wear it :D

18. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Superb job, sir.

19. DarthFett

DarthFett Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome job!

20. PumpMag

PumpMag Well-Known Member

Great craftsmanship!

21. Doh2

Doh2 Sr Member

Fantastic! That looks battle-worthy!!

22. Contec

Contec Master Member

Great work, How did you do the gold parts on the costume?

23. TAZNITBR

TAZNITBR Active Member

Parabéns Hermes, ficou 10! Congrats again bro!

24. Captainjaze

Captainjaze Active Member

Great work!!!

25. Anakinos

Anakinos Well-Known Member

That is awesome. * fine job bro. * fine

26. Angel Song

Angel Song New Member

Wow, that's just incredible!

Amazing work!

27. Hermes

I am very glad you guys and girls liked it so much, and I would like to open this thread for any sort of question you may have.

Whenever you wish, ask away :)

28. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is a Stunning WW costume, and whats really wierd is not to long ago the Fiancee and i came across that exact same concept picture and thought wow, and now here it is

would love to know How much :love PM sent

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  29. Hermes

That was direct to the point, wasn´t it?:) I sent you a Private Message regarding the conditions in which such an arrangement could be made :) By now you should have gotten it already :)

:)

Anything else, folks?:)

Supa troop likes this.
  30. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

Really Really nice work, I've never been a WonderWoman fan, but this costume is probably the best I've seen. I love the design and the craftsmanship.

31. greylocke

greylocke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is stunning and the model is as well. Could you show some more detail of the sandals and greaves?

32. Hermes

Right now I wish I could.... but the suit is halfway to Australia by now, and I am sorry I can´t do it now, however, I am quite sure that when Adam Jay shoots it, the greaves and sandals will be prominently displayed .... sorry about that....

33. greylocke

greylocke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No prob, when you get time or pics please post them.

34. cavedwellar

cavedwellar Sr Member

Hermes, you are my HERO! In fact from this day forward, you shall be known as HEROmese!:lol
    I mean it, you really are.
    Fantastic application all the way around. Thanks for sharing your art with us.
    -Brin

35. NeobiZero

NeobiZero New Member

Great work!!

36. TK-2126_MD

TK-2126_MD Well-Known Member

BRAVO bravo indeed!!!!

37. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Seriously impressive from concept to execution.

(Makes me want to see a movie cross over with this Wonder Woman and the Medieval Batman)

38. LOGANCLAW22

LOGANCLAW22 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just an incredible work of art. What did you use/method to make the chest? looks like brass. Thanks.

Paul

39. joedc27

joedc27 Member

Fantastic costume. Looks better than the base pic.

40. TECKNOVIKING

TECKNOVIKING Active Member

An amazing job and certainly looking the part :D

41. Hermes

Hi, guys and girls!

SO, first of all, I would like to thank you very much for all of the love you´ve been giving me regarding this build, it was a labor of love here, and getting some of it back has been, to say the least, overwhelming. As much as I could thank you guys, it´s not even close to the warmth you make me feel.

Again, thank you all.

Now, regarding the breastplate, which seems to be the most asked about part, (which is odd, for there are other parts that were more tricky, but oh, well :) ) I didn´t take any WIP pictures. Not because I didn´t WANT to, but because there was no TIME to. It was a build made in one sitting.

What I did was to check out the design first. You can see that I elaborated on it, but more on that later, the first part was to de-construct it to the bare minimum - Wings, body, tail, and tackle them separately. Each of the three feathers of the wings were made first in a sheet of 1mm PVC, and then I glued over them some golden leather bands (which was a waste, due to the next step). I thought that gold would be a good color there, but the thing is - I decided later to line it (just like you´d cover a notebook with plastic, let´s say) with a metallized synthetic leather.

This sort of vinyl is thicker than the usual variety, and it does have a bit of an one-way stretch, and therefore I lined the feather of the wing like this : Tip<--->tip and covered it with the stretchy material going like this : Stretchy<=====>stretchy. The reason being that the wing would bend, and therefore it would be good if it bent in the proper manner. A good side-effect to that is that the strips of golden leather that were inside proved to be somewhat of a resistance, and therefore once I bent it, they formed grooves in the material, which was, to me, the coronation of the design.

As for the body, four sheets of PVC, which you can see where the seams are, and some more golden material folded in triangles to disguise the union and to enhance the look. Tails? a big square of that material folded like a woman´s fan, and some EVA strips under the folds. Not a big thing. All of it over the breastplate itself. A two-hour work all in all, and it did look pretty good.

As Mr. Holmes used to say - All problems become simple once explained.

To illustrate the concept, here is a closer look to the Breastplate, which was the first picture I took from this costume :)

[​IMG]

And a look of Walkiria with the breastplate and the underbust corset I`ve made for this build -

[​IMG]

By the way, she´s brown-eyed, I just toyed with Photoshop for about 5 minutes to get this blue-eyed look. Quite natural, if you ask me, but then again, I`m biased. :)

42. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

That is flawless! I love it. I think this may be my absolute favorite take on Wonder Woman yet!

43. jollyskeleton

jollyskeleton Active Member

That is one fine costume!

44. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

A walking work of art! :thumbsup

45. waltonrawlins

waltonrawlins New Member

absolutely wonderful

46. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Hermes, you really should get in contact with someone doing the WW movie and show the work of yours, I bet they want you to do all the costume!

47. Hermes

Yen, buddy, as far as I remember, it is all done in-house, by people who have usually no idea what they´re doing. I would love to be involved with such a thing, but oh, well, it´s a matter of those people checking the RPF :)

And sending me a PM.... and lightning striking in the right side of a pyramid.... and stuff... :)

48. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Costume looks awesome!

Looks like an actual "kicking * and taking names" kinda costume, and less a "hey, I will just fight the forces of evil in my bathing suit" kinda costume.

I dig it :)

Chris

49. Hermes

Chris, that was the approach I took even in the materials. There is not any evidence of any stretchy material in that suit, everything is either leather or suede-textured. The underbust corset and hanging stripes of the skirt were made in a suede-like material, already made in that color, thankfully, I even went as far as making a set of undies made out of that blue material.

50. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

That is one of the best Wonder Woman concepts out there, and you have masterfully brought it to life. I applaud you sir, bravo!