LABYRINTH - Goblin Cannonball build - body progress

Personally I figured they were black, and it's a combination of the lighting in the room and the age of the prop that's making the colour look a bit purple.

On that note, it's been really interesting to see people post screenshots from the actual film to see how much the colour of this little dude has changed over the years! I'm definitely rethinking the paintjob of my own Goblin after seeing this thread.

Here's another couple of images to compare, all coming from this blog post. At least in these images they read pretty strongly as black to me.

View attachment 1370047

View attachment 1370044
i just don't know, the image i posted looks oversaturated now.
maybe it was black initially but has ages to a purplish hue?

trying to find a pinstripe with 6mm stripes is not easy, i might have to paint the stripes on at this rate.

i would say as the screen prop stands now the head and body has lost 95% of its original colour, i will definitely be going for golds, brasses and silvers.

cheers

Black in fabric usually has a red base, so that when it fades it may turn purple.
If you've ever gotten bleach on a black shirt it usually turns it red or orange.

In other cases the black will have a blue or green base.

trying to find a pinstripe with 6mm stripes is not easy, i might have to paint the stripes on at this rate.

There's also the option of getting some custom fabric printed. I will note with my goblin attempt I painted the stripes on, and I did find that the paint stiffens up the fabric a bit so the drape isn't as nice. That said, I also just used what I had on hand (acrylic paints) so maybe if you're using an actual fabric paint that won't stiffen up the fabric as much?

And thinking about it, some fabric markers might be good for adding the stripes. Usually you just have to draw on the fabric with the marker and then iron it to seal the marker in. I have heard that some markers bleed a bit, so if you opt for that route you might just have to do some testing. I haven't used them myself, but I've heard good things about the Arteza fabric markers.

lower body is nearing completion, i have 4 rings for the arm and legs in filler primer drying right now.
the top ring has been attached and holes drilled awaiting the rivets.

the body had the texture applied, the 4 large holes cut out and the little joining plates added.
DC3vqi9.jpg

i have been looking for 6-7mm cone shaped rivets but gave up, i'm 3d printing them instead. about 80 needing cleaned up :sick:
pP7Spjn.jpg

z

I absolutely love how this is turning out! Just putting it out there, if you were to make this into a kit I would purchase one.
thanks, i had thought about it but i don't think the interest is there.

it's a pretty niche subject.

still on the lookout for fabric, found a seller in the states on ebay that has something close
looking at around 6-7mm i think for the stripes

thanks, i had thought about it but i don't think the interest is there.

it's a pretty niche subject.

Dang! Well, if you ever get the urge to do so please let me know! I love how precise and clean this build is, I'd be more than happy to add it to my Labyrinth collection.

ok, made some good progress today.

rivets.....rivets.....rivets.....and rivets..... next project will NOT have rivets.
3d printed ,each one sanded, filler primer, sanded again and fettled to make sure they were circular enough.

riveting stuff. this isn't even all of them.
3XFIoXF.jpg

rings installed
oejnHN9.jpg

finally glued in the rivets, i just needed everything to look smooth, print lines do my head in.
qHmUfqZ.jpg

lA5VJ6N.jpg

vvMeBb8.jpg

i need to primer it, tidy up the insides of the holes then it's onto the legs next i think. still don't have any stripey material for the arms.

there is a big patch on the rear of the lower ball on the real prop, i have no idea what it is or why it's there, i'm not going to include that in my replica. the rear hinge is still in prototype stage, not sure if i want the lid to open yet.

ohh he has a name now.......gruber :cool:

z

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back