Labyrinth Blind Beggar

Thank you! When I was a little kid, I was scared of the goblins. I grew older, though, and just always loved it.

That first scene when they take toby is still pretty creepy. I remember the Dance Magic song was stuck in my head for WEEKS.

My earliest memory of Labyrinth is watching it on VHS at my babysitters, and the movie scared the daylights out of me! I somehow ended up with this false memory of Sarah wandering through the Labyrinth, crying, while it was pouring rain.

In my teens I ended up finding the movie trailer randomly and I was so struck by how wrong my memory of it was. I ended up watching it out of curiosity and fell in love with it... and here we are 15+ years later and I spend my free time re-creating props from it ha ha.

Last edited:
My earliest memory of Labyrinth is watching it on VHS at my babysitters, and the movie scared the daylights out of me! I somehow ended up with this false memory of Sarah wandering through the Labyrinth, crying, while it was pouring rain.

In my teens I ended up finding the movie trailer randomly and I was so struck by how wrong my memory of it was. I ended up watching it out of curiosity and fell in love with it... and here we are 15+ years later and I spend my free time re-creating props from it ha ha.

I just thought my sister was going to wish me away :lol:
I was only scared of the goblins at the start, though. The rest of the movie was okay; I also already had a fondness for Bowie's music when I was 5 or so and watched it for the first time, so the fact that he was the GK made me think it wouldn't all be so bad. That and I loved Ludo!

So, I've got my first pass with painting and I don't hate it! I've purposefully made the colors a little more saturated for the sake of theatrics. Right now, I'm pretty happy with it, but I may decide to go back at some point and layer more washes of color in.
20200822_175751.jpg
20200822_175758.jpg
20200822_175827.jpg
20200822_175907.jpg

Another quick update is that I got the basics of my sigil pendant sculpted. I've included my main references (one of which taken from another post here). I've mostly been looking at this top one, which is the buckle on his brown leather jacket (which I would honestly love to have) since it has the most legible detail:
33120801_1134941546646862_8046468263795752960_n.jpg
Necklace.jpg
LAB.jpg

This is my piece thus far. The center piece with the sigil was made separately, so I've got it glued in like a stone to a setting:
118249792_3156996261045160_4625673951360409227_o.jpg

Once my E6000 is done setting, I'll continue to sand. I have a nice metal nail file, and some 320 grit sandpaper I'm using. The clay already has really soft finish, but I may even spray it a little and try some wet-sanding. The sigil on the puppet is not super polished and shiny. If anything, it's very matte and tarnished (much like the photo above of the dark one Toby Froud has). As of now, my plan is to get is fairly smooth and paint it with regular silver acrylic. The center will be sealed with some PVA, then I'll use gold on that (I have both leaf paint and acrylic). I'll go over the silver with some bronze colors and some rusty browns to really tarnish it, and I'll probably dry-brush the gold center with black and brown to get it good and dirty, but still allow just a hint of shine.

I'm getting rapidly close to having to figure out the puppet body, so if anyone has any pointers, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I may just resort to making a giant pillow body and try to stuff it with some dense foam. And then maybe use some carved pool noodles or something for the arms and legs. Cuz I honestly don't know.

I also ordered the suede for my hat, so I'll be able to pick at that a little. I already have the skull; I just need to cut the back off to create a flat face for the back to attach to the brim.

Work on this will also slow a little, as I am a student, and my semester starts this week. The next 16 weeks are going to be full of project deadlines, so...

It's crazy to me how we haven't gotten an official release of a screen-accurate Jareth amulet. The closest we've gotten is that extremely inaccurate Genki Wear/Hot Topic amulet that was released ages ago that is still floating around the internet.

I'm not sure if anyone has linked to you Adam Kreutinger before, he's a puppet maker that has a lot of tutorials about various puppet builds, maybe some of his videos might give you an idea of how to construct the beggar's body?

Same! That first scene when they take toby is still pretty creepy. I remember the Dance Magic song was stuck in my head for WEEKS. The Fireys also kind of creeped me out when they started trying to take Sarah's head off lol.
Sarah was also my very first little boy crush. I was SOOOOO in love LOL.

Yep. With this and later rocketeer, Jen definitely had my attention.
As far as Labyrinth goes, its a childhood favourite along with Dark Crystal. Frouds concept art is amazing, and i think toby was his baby in real life?

Yep. With this and later rocketeer, Jen definitely had my attention.
As far as Labyrinth goes, its a childhood favourite along with Dark Crystal. Frouds concept art is amazing, and i think toby was his baby in real life?

That's correct! Toby is Toby Froud, son of Brian and Wendy Froud. If I remember correctly, they ended up using Toby in the film because he was already very comfortable around all the Goblin puppets thanks to his parents work.

I believe his characters name in the film was was originally "Freddie", they changed it to Toby because it was the only name Toby would respond to.

(It's been a few years since I've watched Brian Froud's commentary on the movie, but I recall a very sweet moment where he describes how hard it is to watch his own son cry on film).

Now that it's been a solid couple of months since I did anything with this (school and all that), I finally avoided my academic responsibilities for Halloween weekend and made some progress. This time on my hat!

I didn't think about taking many photos until I was halfway through, so bear with me.

Where we last left off was my pattern & mock-up with wired felt. I've had the faux suede I'm using sitting here for forever, so I finally covered the crown of my hat, then used the pattern from my felt mock-up to cut out the interfacing I bought to make the brim out of (excuse the poor lighting; I was working on this well after the sun went down for the day and my living room has very yellow light)
20201031_181614.jpg

Obviously, I cut two pieces: one for each side of the brim. For expediency (and pure laze), I used hot glue to attach the brim to the hat crown. I would have been much more careful and neat with all this if had needed to look nice by the time I'm done. But this doesn't and that's the beauty of it. Once the brim was attached and all my suede was pinned tight, I pinned on the armature wire I have to shape the brim. I whip-stitched it close to the edge of the new brim. Then came the fun part: bias binding. This was pinned, then whip-stitched like an invisible hem to either side of the brim (below is an excellent example as to why there is zero desire to make anything like stays, where hand-binding tabs is often a thing). Again, this didn't need to be super neat, so I didn't waste too too much time making my folds super nice (which was also hard to do with this width).
20201101_100642.jpg

My next steps will be to mix my paints and start weathering this. I plan to just use watered down acrylics and splotch it on in some darker blues, tans, and a little bit of brown. For being the first hat I've ever made, I'm pretty proud of how it came out.
20201101_180840.jpg

Please appreciate how massive this thing is when completely unshaped (need to paint the top side before sewing the sides up and shaping the brim), as illustrated by this photo of me for scale (sorry about my face, really)
20201101_180956.jpg

Regardless, I hope to maybe find the time to finish this by the end of this week, but we'll see how that goes, seeing as I've shirked all of my homework this weekend to get this far.

Just popping by with a not-really update.
This project isn't dead at all, but my school semester started which means much less time. I'm started slowly shaping my hat. This means I'm breaking down the fusing I used a little, I keep getting it damp and I've got it tied downward over a wig head to get that nice, worn, droop to everything. This hat is still laughably large and I'm worried I made it too wide. I'm just hoping once everything is done it will be less of a big deal and everything will look right together.

Once I have it shaped a little better, I'll be going back to painting it. Right now, that is a very slow process because I'm scared of going in with too much pigment right away and getting the wrong feel.

I've also started my goblin puppet. I have a puppet body that happened to be the perfect size and am building up the bulk with quilt batting. Right now, his feet are taking shape, and then I'll bulk up everything else. I have a brown leather jacket that was donated to me by a friend that I'll be using to make this goblin's clothes out of. I don't plan on really patterning anything and making proper clothes. My current plan is to basically piece together the little jacket the puppet wears and just glue it all to the body. There's no reason to make any of this temporary or removable, so I'm not going to bother. I also nabbed some red nylons around Halloween for the puppet's legs. I need to get some thick armature wire to glue to the back side of the legs so I can make the legs bendable.

I'm hoping to have a little time after midterms to maybe pick at this project some more. I'll be sure to take some photos to share with you guys when I do!

Hyello any followers who have managed to keep this on their watch list for threads. I'm promise I've been picking away at this project, I'v e just been forgetting to update here. When last I left y'all I was working on shaping the hat. That piece has been sidelined mostly because I'm at the stage where I need to start painting and mottling the material and haven't bothered to go get the paints I need. I have, however, been slowly working on the Beggar's body.

For some perspective, here is the base I started with, as cursed as it is (it was originally purchased to be made into a Nadja doll, but it turned out not to be the right size)
Screenshot 2021-09-06 091656.png

That being said, if anyone wants a creepy plastic Groucho Marx head, you can have it. Cannot guarantee it isn't haunted, though (thanks eBay).

I bought some polyfill batting in a rolled sheet and cut strips to layer, sew together (roughly and with some lefter over embroidery thread I will never use) and ultimately pad this scrawney little body out with (after sewing the head and arm holes shut). Eventually, I got around to using an old shirt to very roughly drape a pattern for the jacket. Please keep in mind two things: I don't use or draft patterns and I'm not even sewing this together; it will all be held by hot glue and the grace of the gods because I do not need this to be quality, just look decent. I decided to use an old shirt mostly because I was going to throw it away, but also because it gave pieces that were the correct shape to start with that were just going to be oversized. I did start with a tape form (from grocery bags and masking tape) that I roughed out basic pattern pieces with, then purposefully cut them too large to have wiggle room. I then pinned and trimmed as I went until I got something I liked.
20210710_201856.jpg

I also knew I needed to be able to keep the knees stiffly bent up without having to hold them. At first all I did was sew it together (remember: I'm lazing and doing this as cheaply as possible), which held alright, but I couldn't get the angles I needed (left). Enter a good friend of mine who has luckily supplied me with about 1/3 of the materials very randomly who happened to have a couple spare metal hangars. These were the perfect stiffness I needed for posability. Bonus is that I didn't end up with a whole spool of armature wire I never would have used again.
20210822_174956.jpg
20210829_190314.jpg

Now that the body is largely the proportions I want (I could make the legs meatier, but honestly at this point I just want to move on). So we started dressing! The tights are just that. I literally bought them at 50% off from a Spirit Halloween last year at a closing sale and they were the last pair (BTW, Spirit tights are a little fragile, but extremely soft). I decided I would rather utilize the crotch seaming to make sure they stay up like pants, so I scootched them up and cut off the excess legs. This little dude now wears a very fashionable pair of high-waisted pants.
20210822_181140.jpg

The same friend who gave me the hangars gifted me with an old, dark brown leather jacket he hadn't worn in over a decade and was going to donate, so he happened to ask if we needed leather for anything and BOY HOWDY did he have good timing. At this point, I had already spent a couple hours seam-ripping a whole ass leather jacket into usable pieces for when I was ready to start cutting out my patterns and...
20210906_083349.jpg

I am literally tailoring this as I go, cutting darts/slits where I need to fabric to bend just right, trimming the length of pieces and seam allowances down, etc. Again, doesn't need to be sewn or pretty. It's puppet clothes and likely won't see a ton of wear (having a creepy headless goblin puppet as constant decoration should be nice, tho).

My biggest obstacle is going to be figuring out how to construct and attach the collar, along with figuring out how to pattern the little knee pauldrons. I plan to just make those out of craft foam and paint them appropriately. The shoes will be a pain, but I hae plenty of this leather jacket left over to both add the accents to the jacket and make the shoes. The latter I plan on using the wrong side of the leather which is a more natural, untreated hide color and then I may paint and weather them. Once I have this body done, I plan on returning my attentions to the hat, which is currently sitting on a shelf tied closed to break down the interfacing I used for the brim to give the sides that worn droop (I will also start hand-working that once I have the time to literally just sit there and bend it).

Alright, one more update for today because I got farther than I thought. With the exception of using paint to weather it a little, I think my jacket construction is done (no, it's not really that accurate, but I just wanted it to feel correct).
20210906_181256.jpg

I managed to actually make the collar from the sleeve cuffs of the jacket I've been using. I opened the very tips and put a little bit of soft wire in there so that the ends are posable, as well. I managed to successfully cut out two sets of snaps and glued them in to keep the jacket closed, but removable. This was a last minute decision, since I was originally just going to glue my pieces straight to the body. I decided I wanted to keep things a little more temporary just in case. The pockets were also last minute, and I just used pieces from my scrap pile to make them. The extra shoulder bits ended up being quite the gift, since it helped me hide the absolute mess that is my sleeve seams. I need to prime and paint my pendant, and then I planned to put a pinback on it so it is also removable.

All-in-all, I'm pretty proud of this little fella at this stage.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back