Kylo Ren Reference Photos

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by joshvanrad, Apr 17, 2015.

1. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

Hi,

I'm looking for any and all Kylo Ren reference photos I can get!

Mostly looking for photos of the bucket, but close-ups of the fabric, gloves, scarf, and boots would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'd appreciate anybody at Celebration getting these pictures if possible. I'm just hoping we can use this as a catch-all for Kylo references.

Thanks in advance,
    Joshua

2. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

There is already a Kylo Ren thread on the front page of this section, best to just collaborate there, IMHO.

3. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

I have a few requests for those of you who were lucky enough to attend. I'm currently working on the soft parts, but I need some references to get good seams and really make this thing accurately

First of all, it's tough to make out the true colors of the outfit with the lighting of most photos I've seen. Could anyone describe or post up pictures of comparable colors of the sleeves and overcoat?

Secondly, I was hoping to get some good shots of the back and sides of the coat so I can see how they did the seams and whether or not they split them, and if so, how far up they split them.

Lastly, could anyone tell me whether or not there was a clip or attachment on the back of the belt for his saber?

Really lastly, could anyone see the boots in the opening at the bottom of the overcoat, and did anyone happen to snap pictures of them?

I'd greatly appreciate any info or pictures anyone is willing to provide. I've poured over the internet and these are the last few things I'm missing to put this puzzle together. I know a lot of people are working on the bucket, but I'm really working hard to put the soft parts together first.

Thanks again

4. OB10

OB10 Sr Member

JJ Griffin likes this.
  5. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

I've been compiling a lot of reference photos from all over. I'll try and get them all posted tomorrow night. They are the pretty common shots though, so anyone could find what I've already got. The shots I really need are those mentioned earlier. But thanks for anything and everything.

6. MasterEdi

MasterEdi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Josh, .... Are these the shots you we're looking for?... First off on color, the best that I can tell the outfit color was a dark grey, not black. It was difficult to tell by the multiple color lighting the displays had. Also the pattern on the material. It looked almost like woven chain mail. .... Boots though, could not really be seen, we will have to wait on those.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

7. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

First of all, thanks a ton for posting your pictures. And I really appreciate the definition of the colors.

That item in the first picture- is that attached to the belt or is that just a reflection in the glass. I'm guessing a clip, since I've noticed it in a few pictures. Is it a normal covertec? It looks a bit metallic.

It would really help if I could get some shots of the bottom half of the overcoat to get an idea of where the seams are located, and whether or not they split on the sides, or how many panels it is, etc.

8. Kiteera

Kiteera New Member

Has anyone stumbled across a good fabric for that outer coat? I found a monk's cloth online that isn't dual-bar like Ren's, but I ordered a swatch to at least get a good look at it in person. Haven't found anything else even close to it since. :(

9. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

I picked up some heavy cotton monk's cloth last night in an even-weave. I'm going to use that for my first version of his over-coat. There is another thread that is looking for people to sign up for a BIG order from a mill to have the screen accurate fabric custom made.

Monk's cloth will get you close, but I think that's the closest you'll get without going custom.

10. ARKM

ARKM Sr Member

It's a clip of some sort and is not a Covertec. It's been discussed about over in this thread with a slightly better pic of the part that is on the belt... http://www.therpf.com/f79/darth-unknowns-lightsaber-speculation-thread-229653/

11. Kiteera

Kiteera New Member

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

12. MasterEdi

It is most definitely a clip attached to the belt. The material has a pearlescent quality but I suspect it's sprayed on, not in the weave. It seems the tunic is split on the sides and front and back. It folds into itself, I saw no sewing seam.

Attached Files:

13. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to look at fabric coatings to see what they did there.

It would appear by that last picture, and a few I've collected from around the net that there are seams running up each side, and one seam in the front. They appear to start right under the belt, and split to form individual panels under the belt.

14. MasterEdi

Yes, from the belt are the panels.... But the back is also a seam I believe, I might be wrong ... I don't have the best photos of the back but this looks like a seam image.jpg

15. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

It's been quite difficult to find a good shot of the back. I still haven't found one of the back that gives me the views I need. They all have a lot of glare on the back of the case.

There is this shot in the promo art that shows the panels in the front, but the back is obstructed. But I'm assuming it is that same pattern and split.

kylo1jpg-c2d726_624w.jpg

16. MasterEdi

Hey Josh, I would like to get your thoughts on the mask... From looking a the preproduction pic of the helmet and then comparing it with the shots from C7... Do you think it folds up lik a face shield?

17. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

In what way do you mean? As in, the lower part slides upward?

18. MasterEdi

Yeah... Just a thought... When I was at C7, it just seemed there is more to this helmet than what is seen, can't explain... Just wondering if anyone else had these suspicions

19. MasterEdi

image.jpg image.jpg
    These elements are interesting..... There is a slight bulge in the helmet ... There are subtle line elements as well. From the side it's a very distinct seam

20. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

Hm. it could be. At this point I'd lean towards it being a simple bucket, but it could be a face shield. It is a pretty big helmet, so I wouldn't rule it out.

If I had to guess right now though, I would say there aren't any moving parts on this one.

21. MasterEdi

Finally got a chance to upload this from my phone... I think you will appreciate this...[video]https://youtu.be/VIhocLg4Ias[/video]

22. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

I posted a link to this in my soft parts thread, it's all the reference photos I've collected of Kylo Ren so far. All from various places, I've just been frantically saving everything. So you may have seen some before: http://imgur.com/a/KMrG6#57

23. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

You guys are heroes. Thanks.

24. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

So I'm going to make a firm bet that the entire midcoat matches the action figure quite closely.

As you've shown, the pin tucks are evident in the trailer (as you've marked in your ref photo)

duTOWDT.jpg

You can see 2 of the pin tucks right in the armpit here

Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-097.jpg

So at this point I'd put money on it that the entire midcoat is made of 1 inch pin tucks from top to bottom, as it appears on the action figure.

25. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

The mid coat definitely has pin-tucks, it's even more clear in this pic: http://i.imgur.com/dZ24GpD.jpg

But, at least at that part of his costume, the fabric is very clearly separated from the sleeves. I talked about this last night with a 501st member who got to see the costume in person, she insists it's a separate garment of separate material, but agrees that it's definitely got the pin tucks in it. I've never wanted more high def image of a sith's armpit before....

joshvanrad likes this.
  26. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

They are definitely separated, but they appear to be the same fabric, or at least very very similar.

27. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

If they are different fabric, it could easily be that wool you pointed out. I'm a little worried the 501st isn't going to release the costume requirements until the movie is out, which means I may need to just resign myself to sewing it twice.

28. Doombot13

Doombot13 Jr Member

I had a friend who was at Celebration say this about the costume:

Well the color is a dark Grey, very similar to my Palpatine inner robes. The issue is the fabric was made specifically for the movie, which means we can't get it, going to message the LMO about alternatives. There is a new saber hook on the belt, not a covetec or D-ring. As far as height, it didn't seem massive, maybe 6'3"

Now how do I post pictures from my I-phone here?

29. Doombot13

Doombot13 Jr Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have more pictures that I will post later tonight that show some of the back piece of the helmet (even though the hood is up it still gives a good idea of what it should look like)

30. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

At this point, I'm going to probably make 2. My first will be made of monk's cloth, and the inner jacket and sleeves will be made out of wool to mimic the action figure (but I'm still not exactly sure how I'm going to attach the sleeves. I will probably attach them to a lighter type of fabric that will go under everything else). The first rendition will not be the most accurate, but will be passable in quality in appearance. As we get closer to the film, or possibly after the film, I'll end up remaking the whole thing to really hit the mark on everything.

The first version will be sort of expimenting with methods, so the version that I make around movie time will go easier and be more dialed in.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    bh1138 likes this.
  31. Doombot13

Doombot13 Jr Member

And here are some more pictures. No Red Lights!.jpg Mask right.jpg Mask - Leftish.jpg

32. hellbound666

hellbound666 New Member

gloves source? notice the notch on the index finger...

33. SL13377

SL13377 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have been SCOURING The internet for better armpit images. You could clearly see that the armpit material was wool and the sleeves were a cotton on the costume in person

34. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

So same pin tucks, different materials?

35. tweedler92

tweedler92 New Member

ep7-38176-1377-1378-07.jpg new refrence for the boots

joshvanrad and JJ Griffin like this.
  36. Doombot13

Doombot13 Jr Member

Tweedler92, bless you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37. Kestrel7

Kestrel7 New Member

adam-driver_e.jpg
    I tried upping the image resolution for the boots reference image using Similia Enlarger. Hope this helps.
    I also think jamesrt1 on Photobucket did a good job (albeit the belt strap placement is a little off and it's not as lustrous):
    ce87f487-6e1c-47b2-b955-fdd81f515322.jpg
    Also, does anyone else see the resemblance of Kylo Ren's and Anakin's boots? Maybe it's just the straps, but it feels as if there's something more to this.

Attached Files:

joshvanrad likes this.
  38. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

anikans boots is the first thing I thought of as well, I thought they were exactly the same and the other night in bed did some comparisons

39. robertrios10@msn.com

robertrios10@msn.com New Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    PoopaPapaPalps likes this.
  40. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nevermind the Rylo fabric, thanks for bringing this site to my attention. I want to do a Star Wars thing in future and this is a great resource to have for fabric for costumes! Thanks!