Kylo Ren Fabric

Sni9er

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
PURCHASE LINK: Black Apprentice Weave

15/01/2019: for anyone looking for my Fabric after 9 months of work I've launched my own website with continuous stock (link above)

iHOXwfl.jpg

See Page 12 Onward

Hey Guys

I've been doing some research on the Kylo Ren fabric for the Costume and have been in talks with a Mill about perhaps having some made, of course this would require a minimum order of around 50 Meters which is way more than i'd need i have a question for those building the costume or intending to:

1: Would you be interested in the custom fabric to match the screen used fabric
2: the Mill asked me for a price per SQ/M i said approximately £15/20 per SQ/M does this sound reasonable/would you pay it

if not please post your thoughts on this as i'd be more than happy to arrange a purchase of a larger quantity for a cheaper price per SQ/M should the interest be there

Last edited:
Depending on the accuracy I would be interested. Also I assume you are just talking about the outer layer fabric or are you looking at multiple fabrics on the costume?

Depending on the accuracy I would be interested. Also I assume you are just talking about the outer layer fabric or are you looking at multiple fabrics on the costume?
I'm currently only looking at the main body of fabric as i think the sleeve materiel should be easily to source/find a suitable equivalent the main fabric looks to specific a weave to be easily found so far !

i've ordered a few commercially available samples if they are good enough i'll share that but if we need to go custom weave i just wanted to gauge interest

i'm assuming we'd need about maybe 6/8 meters per costume max anyone else feel free to take a stab at an estimation

I'd be in for 6 meters as well if it's the accurate strand width and accurate basket-weave.

- - - Updated - - -

And just an fyi if anybody is looking for the sleeve and midcoat fabric. It's a black donegal pattern wool, I'm pretty sure. It could maybe be merino, but I'm almost positive it's donegal.

I've got a swatch of Monk's Cloth on the way but if it's not satisfactory I'd be interested in ordering something screen-accurate if the timeframe is correct. I've gotta have everything sewn and built by the end of August.

I've got a swatch of Monk's Cloth on the way but if it's not satisfactory I'd be interested in ordering something screen-accurate if the timeframe is correct. I've gotta have everything sewn and built by the end of August.

i'm looking at a short timeframe also as i want to get this done ASAP also

1: Would you be interested in the custom fabric to match the screen used fabric
2: the Mill asked me for a price per SQ/M i said approximately £15/20 per SQ/M does this sound reasonable/would you pay it

if not please post your thoughts on this as i'd be more than happy to arrange a purchase of a larger quantity for a cheaper price per SQ/M should the interest be there

1. Most definitely interested in acquiring screen-accurate fabric!
2. If the price lowers a tad then definitely!

I'm tired of trying to find fabric that matches "close enough." Can't wait to see how this develops!

That looks like an even-weave.

This is correct - though I think in a pinch that would work at a convention. The plaque in Kylo Ren's celebration exhibit lists this garment as "Black basket weave coated cotton". But finding the right basket weave, even in a lighter color that could be dyed, has proven to be a pain in the butt! I've poured a few hours into searching for fabric so far. The closest I've come was the correct weave, but the fabric is "fuzzy" like a velour. Yuck.

the weave i've identified is a 3/2 weave (3 warp/2 weft) with a stabilising layer the tricky part is the center yarn which appears to have a metallic sparkle to it i also have a sample arriving soon that might do well as an alternative

the weave i've identified is a 3/2 weave (3 warp/2 weft) with a stabilising layer the tricky part is the center yarn which appears to have a metallic sparkle to it i also have a sample arriving soon that might do well as an alternative

Oooh that's very interesting! Good eye on the weave, that may help me search more effectively! I noticed what you mean about the metallic sparkle but I thought perhaps that could be the "coated" that they're referring to? I've never heard of "coated cotton" before. I'll be following this thread closely, be sure to post your sample if it's satisfactory!

i most certainly will something that might help is the fact we shouldn't necessarily look for black as we can dye as needed

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back