Kylo Ren: Buckle WIP

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Sni9er, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Sni9er

Sni9er Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

hey guys

so like everyone else i watched the SW Trailer and GAWPED

cant wait to see more Costumes from the Film

this photo of Kylo Ren appeared
    bG94k0j.jpg

I decided to design the Buckle and go from there with plans on the helmet over the weekend since we have so many reference shots now from CVII (or at least make a start)

So anyway I derived my measurements from Adam Drivers Height (as supposedly he will play the titular Sith) as 1.91 meters which gave me a buckle height of about 125mm /5 inch

without further adu my model is here:

o7xBCAU.png

I also from the photos seemed to spot a seem line on the buckle for now i've built in a magnetic closure until i consider a better method of closure

V4wKqQQ.png

I'll print the mesh tonight and if there is interest i'll happily share it tomorrow :)

comments, adjustments anything ?

=JJ=

2. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

Following!

3. RINZLERTRON

RINZLERTRON Sr Member

Definitely have some interest from me! I'd love to get a copy of the model (or the buckle itself if you do a run) off of you!

4. Chicagovader

Chicagovader Sr Member

If you offer casting I want one!

5. mvanwalks421

mvanwalks421 Active Member

6. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

bigger pic

Attached Files:

7. The Amazing SM

The Amazing SM Member

Totally keeping an eye on this!! Would love one

8. Sni9er

Awesome thank you! I'll refine based on this shot cheers bud!!

9. Sni9er

Can anyone attending confirm or snap the belt is just continuous ? Also a flash shot of the mask would be REALLY Appreciated!

10. RINZLERTRON

RINZLERTRON Sr Member

11. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

12. Sni9er

13. Sni9er

Update :)

Version 2.0:

R9SfY1I.jpg 75dSUkG.jpg

will work on the clast later today :)

Kilryth likes this.
  14. Kilryth

Kilryth New Member

Thats looking great!! The vertical lines are spaced out a bit more in some of your model than the replica (I.e. slightly wider in your model). Particularly the center rectangle, upper left box's center line, and lower left box's center line.
    Looks amazing though!!!!

15. Sni9er

I'll be reminding this model to V3 again as someone sent me an even higher res pin sharp shot so i'll update this today !

16. VegasSkywalker

VegasSkywalker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see what you come up with!! :) looks great to far!
    Here's mine!

JJ Griffin likes this.
  17. Prankzter

Prankzter New Member

Following haha

18. Sni9er

could you grab a shot n MS paint and annotate not quite sure i see what you see ^^

19. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

This is looking great so far! I like your magnetic closure design! I was having trouble getting my head around the clasp design and was thinking about doing this as a solid "buckle cover" kind of piece. I like your method much better, so accurate!

20. Sni9er

i'm still considering that exact idea as the magnets might now be strong enough in a pose to hold i was going to use a 38mm webbing clasp buckle in a hollowed out version of my design to try out

(this type)

MINIPISTOLBELTS.jpg

21. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

I'd just grabbed this buckle from JoAnns yesterday, sorry for the lousy quality cellphone pic:
    LiIgtnu.jpg

My only concern with magnets was if you pushed your hips/stomach forward all of a sudden for whatever reason (spontaneous pelvic thrust - why not?) the magnets may pop open. But it seems like it would make a cleaner clasp design than trying to hide something behind it.

----- addition ------

If you wind up using the buckle and get it to sit nice and flat, please post pics!

chizbot likes this.
  22. Kilryth

Kilryth New Member

Sure. It could just be an optical illusion, but your model appears to have a couple areas that are marginally wider than the prop. Nothing major, just something I had noticed & pointed out. You just may want to confirm the dimensions the best you can. I drew in yellow "dimension lines" of each area that I thought might be a hair too wide, but it may be an illusion.

Version3.jpg

23. bobafett669

bobafett669 Active Member

Actually the whole thing looks wider than the photo.

24. Sni9er

It shouldn't be as I drew directly on an overlay I think this is a bit of optical tricker going on here as the one at the exhibit has lighting and different reflections going on where as the mesh is basically just flat colour sonits going to look wider in places right now, I'll post up a transparent overlay later for everyone

25. levallois

levallois New Member

Here is a no-blurred picture

[​IMG]
    click to enlarge.

26. dday

dday Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What if it's not a straight up click together construction but rather parts inside that actually lock in? Purely hearsay but as you mentioned, magnets will not hold this together.

So if there were semi hooks on one side the inserted into the main body of the otherside.

27. dday

I also have a feeling that this bucklet is non functional. It is made to look like it comes apart but I'm thinking it doesn't

On the top and bottom here I have circled what I think is supposed to look like an 'inserted part, like the hook I mentioned to latch things together. The right side is the male end and the right side being the female. You can see on the female side the internal part is not all the way to the left edge, seeming to me like it's the inserted part and a continuation of a clip from the male side (on the right).

But in the buckle (like in the middle circle) you see a very rough edge up and down but it looks like the where the actual connection point should be, the parts look very much like a single piece. My guess is that the belt actually closes in the back behind the cape and the front buckle is just a visual part.

[​IMG]

Kilryth likes this.
  28. guabe

guabe Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

there is actually some velcro between the leather and the buckle.. I also think its non funcitonal and just decorative.
    [​IMG]

JJ Griffin and Kilryth like this.
  29. dday

If this is the case (which it seems to be) it might be functional to hold it together.

Velcro on the left and right of the belt and the buckle on top to hold them both together? Good velcro would hold the weight I"m sure.

30. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

This is so simple and brilliant, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it. Industrial velcro would accomplish this easily and it's very low profile and strong: http://amzn.com/B00006RSP1 I've used it on a few costume belts in the past. Edit: My boyfriend also used it on his first mando build to attach his armor plates. So it's very durable stuff and will tolerate a lot of stress and movement.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  31. mikkonator

mikkonator Member

Fantastic catch on the Velcro!

32. Sni9er

Haha I considered that from the front shot there is a slither!!

Does anyone have a preference for a casting of smooth finish for you to texture or a cast of a textured buckle ??

33. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

My experience in working with casts is limited to pretty much my mando helmet. But I imagine cast smooth so we can paint and then weather ourselves? Right?

Kilryth likes this.
  34. Evil Benius

Evil Benius Active Member

I would say a smooth cast would probably make more sense and allow for people to customize as they see fit. I have no idea how much of a difference that makes on your end however.

35. Sni9er

makes life a little easier actually ^^

36. Kilryth

Kilryth New Member

Smooth cast preferred. I agree its a Single cosmetic piece, rather than two pieces.

37. Sni9er

Vycanthus and JJ Griffin like this.
  38. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Great work here, Luke, looking forward to how the print turns out. :)

39. Sni9er

thanks JJ ! I'm printing it in 3 layers so i can sand the edges better and then glue before casting

and we're live !

http://bit.ly/MMF-JJIndustriesUK

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  40. mikkonator

mikkonator Member

Wow, you werent kidding. I'm watching this getting printed LIVE, brilliant! :lol

41. astralrayn

astralrayn Member

This is awesome to watch! Do you have a price on what your casts will cost? I'm interested.

42. Hanslow

Hanslow Member

Put me down for one of these as well ;)

43. Hanslow

Hanslow Member

At this rate Sni9er, you've got my paychecks for months! haha

44. Sni9er

hey someone might yet swoop in and outdo me by a mile haha that helmet is murdering me haha

aiming to cast that buckle this week maybe

45. Sni9er

First shot of the 3D Printed Buckle prototype

5Q8XzKk.jpg

46. Hanslow

Hanslow Member

Much sexy. Very wow. ;)

47. bh1138

bh1138 Active Member

Beautiful print! If I could offer one slight critique, the round corner on the middle right side is the one thing that bugs me. It doesn't quite line up where it should. Other than that, it looks fantastic! :)

[​IMG]

Kilryth likes this.
  48. Sni9er

That's a great shot !! And ill correct that for sure that picture has actually highlighted some more detail I didn't see on the buckle mods incoming !!!

49. Chicagovader

Chicagovader Sr Member

what's the length of the buckle? 3"- 3.5"?

50. Sni9er

i'll post up a full measurement shot later today

i took the measurment based on adam drivers height 1.91 meters the buckle comes out at about 125mm high (i rounded it to this to account for a 5 inch belt)