Kuhn Global 'Death Star II'

Kuhn Global

Sr Member
I didn't want to hijack anyone elses thread and fealt this fact may do so,.. so I started this one...

A Studio Scale 'DS II' WILL BE BUILT. :D :D :D :D

This has been a long decision process for me and now I have made it.

It's contruction will be started in the months of 2007. Barring ANY problems OR dissatisfactions of any type,.. the build will be done for Kuhn Global by Bob "Hand Solo". Any and all reference pics and suggestions will be welcomed through this thread in this forum. Email's will be requested when appropriate so to not bog down anyone's email. PM's are also welcomed.

I had started to think of a colaboration between Hand Solo (Bob) and REL (Richard), but I realized that I have Richard already booked with several LARGE projects throughout 2007 already and Hand Solo seems to really want this one. :p Plus the distance between the two would be a fitting/testing problem for the most part so I decided not to waste any time going down that road.

For me,.. this thread will be the definititve area to speak of the Death Star II. With all the talent I have seen in this forum, .. I believe all suggestions made will help make this the most accurate DS II possible. I truly appreciate the input.

After the DS II is complete,.. then the ANH Death Star will be considered in it's Studio Scale. A foot smaller I believe? :confused

Anyway,.. there ya have it. It's on the books people... :p

Whoa Mister.

That's massive. I am honored. Deeply honored...and TERRIFIED...

I CAN say that progress can be tracked here.

I'll also start a blog for a project of THIS magnitude. I'll therefore, in preparation, be prepping 400 square feet of shop space in August and reorganizing in order to accommodate this miniature Manhattan Project.

Even the new paint booth I just built will not be large enough to accommodate the DSII. I will have to hang a temporary structure.

I have my work cut out for me. I have commissions from Kurt beginning in Sept. Those plus the KuhnStar will have me working well into 2008.

As Dr. McCoy said in Star Trek VI: " This is fun..." :p

Wow guys. I will be looking forward to see the build-up on this monster project. Much success with the project when you get to it. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(Tony @ Jul 9 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]1277259[/snapback]</div>
Wow guys. I will be looking forward to see the build-up on this monster project. Much success with the project when you get to it. :thumbsup
[/b]

:cry :p

Thanks.

Your support will be a great help. That and lots of slave labor from the alien trash of the Galaxy wouldn't hurt either. :love

Just as long as Kurt doesn't send one of you Vaders from a 501st Garrison or Outpost to check on my progress, I should be ok. I don't take kindly to neck-squeezes as a general rule.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 9 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]1277271[/snapback]</div>
LOL.. you know I do my own neck squeezing Bob. ;)
[/b]

:confused

Yessss.

Most impressive. From 1200 miles away. :lol

I've already started to compile resources as I type...since I'm sitting in front of the comp at the moment.

I'll need to know, as close as possible, any measurements anyone reading may have on the real SS article.

It would be helpful to have names attached to any useful information generously offered, so that proper credit can be given on completion of this project.

Thanks in advance.

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jul 9 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]1277278[/snapback]</div>

Fantastic. And it also addresses a big concern of mine. Several have suggested that the practical model was made in reverse of how it is seen in ROTJ with some flipping of the images in certain scenes to maintain lighting continuity.

This is probably the biggest question surrounding DSII before I proceed in earnest and a relatively easy one to answer definitively.

Then it becomes a matter of artistic preference and a question for Kurt if he wants his build 'bass-ackwards' or as it appears in film.

Kurt?

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 9 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]1277280[/snapback]</div>
Sweeeet. Good luck Bob, may the shwartz be with you.
[/b]

Thanks Richard. [Solo]" I'm gonna need it. "[/Solo]

This project will test severely any skills I thought I had and force me to develop new ones. I'm both apprehensive and happy at the same time.

I AM ready for the Trials, Master. :eek

Richard, just in case that link didn't work, what Mike (Brody) posted was a hi-res version of this photo:

02.jpg

The fact that the sign on top of the DSII Practical and other elements in the image have print that is readable and NOT BACKWARDS suggests to me that the DSII Practical really was built 'backwards' in relation to what we saw on film.

I could never get the link to work but I've seen that pic before.

This is going to be an awesome project and I can't wait to see it progressing. I take it you can ge plexi domes in that scale? Because if they're not available I have a few idea's for making a dome that large.

^ The plexi domes are available from a California company in this scale as well as larger.

If I plan this right, I may only need ONE hemisphere and not two...which will cut the cost of raw materials significantly.

CalPlastics.com

Thanks to PHarchivist who originally put this link up in another thread. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 9 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]1277423[/snapback]</div>
^ The plexi domes are available from a California company in this scale as well as larger.

If I plan this right, I may only need ONE hemisphere and not two...which will cut the cost of raw materials significantly.

CalPlastics.com

Thanks to PHarchivist who originally put this link up in another thread. ;)
[/b]

Glad to help. And "This is fun..." is one of the greatest lines from Trek 6.

You all do know that the original model was on public display in San Francisco in 1995, right...?

You're right those are pricey. I can see where you could only use one hemisphere because of the missing construction area's where the dome isn't complete.

PH.... Was it 'backwards'? ( My image in my copy of 'From Star Wars to Indiana Jones also shows the DSII Practical backwards...so I believe the stories now. )

And I live nowhere near the SF Bay area, so I didn't know about that display.

Richard, I want to keep your fiberglass proposal in mind in case there's no-joy with the acrylic spheres.

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 9 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1277436[/snapback]</div>
You're right those are pricey. I can see where you could only use one hemisphere because of the missing construction area's where the dome isn't complete.
[/b]

Around the equatorial band that IS complete, I can use other materials. I think it can be done with one hemisphere...especially considering that even more material will have to be cut out where the Superlaser dish has to be mounted. Waste not, want not.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 9 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1277438[/snapback]</div>
PH.... Was it 'backwards'? ( My image in my copy of 'From Star Wars to Indiana Jones also shows the DSII Practical backwards...so I believe the stories now. )

And I live nowhere near the SF Bay area, so I didn't know about that display.

Richard, I want to keep your fiberglass proposal in mind in case there's no-joy with the acrylic spheres.

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 9 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1277436[/snapback]
[/b]

Around the equatorial band that IS complete, I can use other materials. I think it can be done with one hemisphere...especially considering that even more material will have to be cut out where the Superlaser dish has to be mounted. Waste not, want not.
[/b][/quote]

I believe so... I may have images around here somewhere, but I didn't take them. I'll see what I can find...

Bingo.
Got it, but have to reformat it...

hand PM me your email addy in the meantime. PHarchivist@aol.com

Try this...

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jul 9 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1277461[/snapback]</div>
Since OutNow got all clever, try this: http://rapidshare.de/files/25403882/02.jpg.html

Scroll down, click "Free", etc.

Also: http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/30.jpg

-Mike
[/b]

Thanks Mike. As far as screencaps go, I'll be able to take my own.

I also use Photobucket.com as my offsite host and I have a subalbum dedicated now just to this project. I really appreciate the help. It's pumping me up.. :thumbsup

PH, I've responded by PM.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back