Kuhn Global 'Death Star II'

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Kuhn Global, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I didn't want to hijack anyone elses thread and fealt this fact may do so,.. so I started this one...

A Studio Scale 'DS II' WILL BE BUILT. :D :D :D :D

This has been a long decision process for me and now I have made it.

It's contruction will be started in the months of 2007. Barring ANY problems OR dissatisfactions of any type,.. the build will be done for Kuhn Global by Bob "Hand Solo". Any and all reference pics and suggestions will be welcomed through this thread in this forum. Email's will be requested when appropriate so to not bog down anyone's email. PM's are also welcomed.

I had started to think of a colaboration between Hand Solo (Bob) and REL (Richard), but I realized that I have Richard already booked with several LARGE projects throughout 2007 already and Hand Solo seems to really want this one. :p Plus the distance between the two would be a fitting/testing problem for the most part so I decided not to waste any time going down that road.

For me,.. this thread will be the definititve area to speak of the Death Star II. With all the talent I have seen in this forum, .. I believe all suggestions made will help make this the most accurate DS II possible. I truly appreciate the input.

After the DS II is complete,.. then the ANH Death Star will be considered in it's Studio Scale. A foot smaller I believe? :confused

Anyway,.. there ya have it. It's on the books people... :p

2. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Whoa Mister.

That's massive. I am honored. Deeply honored...and TERRIFIED...

I CAN say that progress can be tracked here.

I'll also start a blog for a project of THIS magnitude. I'll therefore, in preparation, be prepping 400 square feet of shop space in August and reorganizing in order to accommodate this miniature Manhattan Project.

Even the new paint booth I just built will not be large enough to accommodate the DSII. I will have to hang a temporary structure.

I have my work cut out for me. I have commissions from Kurt beginning in Sept. Those plus the KuhnStar will have me working well into 2008.

As Dr. McCoy said in Star Trek VI: " This is fun..." :p

3. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Wow guys. I will be looking forward to see the build-up on this monster project. Much success with the project when you get to it. :thumbsup

4. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Tony @ Jul 9 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]1277259[/snapback]</div>
    :cry :p

Thanks.

Your support will be a great help. That and lots of slave labor from the alien trash of the Galaxy wouldn't hurt either. :love

Just as long as Kurt doesn't send one of you Vaders from a 501st Garrison or Outpost to check on my progress, I should be ok. I don't take kindly to neck-squeezes as a general rule.

5. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

LOL.. you know I do my own neck squeezing Bob. ;)

6. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 9 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]1277271[/snapback]</div>

:confused

Yessss.

Most impressive. From 1200 miles away. :lol

I've already started to compile resources as I type...since I'm sitting in front of the comp at the moment.

I'll need to know, as close as possible, any measurements anyone reading may have on the real SS article.

It would be helpful to have names attached to any useful information generously offered, so that proper credit can be given on completion of this project.

Thanks in advance.

7. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. REL

REL Sr Member

Sweeeet. Good luck Bob, may the shwartz be with you.

9. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jul 9 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]1277278[/snapback]</div>
    Fantastic. And it also addresses a big concern of mine. Several have suggested that the practical model was made in reverse of how it is seen in ROTJ with some flipping of the images in certain scenes to maintain lighting continuity.

This is probably the biggest question surrounding DSII before I proceed in earnest and a relatively easy one to answer definitively.

Then it becomes a matter of artistic preference and a question for Kurt if he wants his build 'bass-ackwards' or as it appears in film.

Kurt?

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 9 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]1277280[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Richard. [Solo]" I'm gonna need it. "[/Solo]

This project will test severely any skills I thought I had and force me to develop new ones. I'm both apprehensive and happy at the same time.

I AM ready for the Trials, Master. :eek

10. REL

REL Sr Member

I can't see the link, I get a hotlinking message :cry

11. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 9 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]1277297[/snapback]</div>
    Copy and manually paste it into your browser URL bar.

12. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Richard, just in case that link didn't work, what Mike (Brody) posted was a hi-res version of this photo:

[​IMG]

The fact that the sign on top of the DSII Practical and other elements in the image have print that is readable and NOT BACKWARDS suggests to me that the DSII Practical really was built 'backwards' in relation to what we saw on film.

13. REL

REL Sr Member

I could never get the link to work but I've seen that pic before.

This is going to be an awesome project and I can't wait to see it progressing. I take it you can ge plexi domes in that scale? Because if they're not available I have a few idea's for making a dome that large.

14. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ The plexi domes are available from a California company in this scale as well as larger.

If I plan this right, I may only need ONE hemisphere and not two...which will cut the cost of raw materials significantly.

CalPlastics.com

Thanks to PHarchivist who originally put this link up in another thread. ;)

15. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 9 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]1277423[/snapback]</div>
    Glad to help. And "This is fun..." is one of the greatest lines from Trek 6.

You all do know that the original model was on public display in San Francisco in 1995, right...?

16. REL

REL Sr Member

You're right those are pricey. I can see where you could only use one hemisphere because of the missing construction area's where the dome isn't complete.

17. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

PH.... Was it 'backwards'? ( My image in my copy of 'From Star Wars to Indiana Jones also shows the DSII Practical backwards...so I believe the stories now. )

And I live nowhere near the SF Bay area, so I didn't know about that display.

Richard, I want to keep your fiberglass proposal in mind in case there's no-joy with the acrylic spheres.

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 9 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1277436[/snapback]</div>
    Around the equatorial band that IS complete, I can use other materials. I think it can be done with one hemisphere...especially considering that even more material will have to be cut out where the Superlaser dish has to be mounted. Waste not, want not.

18. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

19. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 9 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1277438[/snapback]</div>
    Around the equatorial band that IS complete, I can use other materials. I think it can be done with one hemisphere...especially considering that even more material will have to be cut out where the Superlaser dish has to be mounted. Waste not, want not.
    [/b][/quote]

I believe so... I may have images around here somewhere, but I didn't take them. I'll see what I can find...

Bingo.
    Got it, but have to reformat it...

hand PM me your email addy in the meantime. PHarchivist@aol.com

Try this...

20. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jul 9 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1277461[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Mike. As far as screencaps go, I'll be able to take my own.

I also use Photobucket.com as my offsite host and I have a subalbum dedicated now just to this project. I really appreciate the help. It's pumping me up.. :thumbsup

PH, I've responded by PM.

21. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 9 2006, 10:59 AM) [snapback]1277291[/snapback]</div>

Hmmmm... I would prefer it the same as the Studio Model,.. but I will defer to artist license on this one. Maybe take a poll. What does everyone think on this matter?

A.) Orientation as seen in the film

B.) Orientation as the actual Studio Model

I look forward to reading the results...

22. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

As the builder, I vote in favor of building it to its film orientation, but that's a major departure from it being a replica.

23. PHArchivist

On this one, I vote for the film orientation.

24. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Here's why I voted for film orientation and maybe PH will agree with me:

Almost everyone you'll eventually show the KuhnStar to who has SEEN ROTJ at least once will say, " Hey man? Why is that ball bass-ackwards? " :p

25. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 10 2006, 01:50 AM) [snapback]1277589[/snapback]</div>

I do agree...

Normally I go for the full on studio model reolica, mounting joints, port covers, extreme weatheing and all...

This one -- eh, few people outside our circle know it was flopped, and would -- in fact -- scratch their heads...

Alternative: Build as it WAS built, and display in in front of a really big mirror. ;)

26. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ Possible. Still will invite questions. Maybe that's no big deal and my own bias is showing.

Bottomline is that no matter how I or anyone else feels, I WILL be building it to Kurt's preferences and specifications.

We'd both like very much to have as many others weigh in with their opinions on this project as well, nevertheless.

So please, anyone reading who is interested....don't clam up. Let us know what you think.

Thanks.

27. REL

REL Sr Member

Film orientation for me.

28. useful idiot

useful idiot Active Member

Looking foward to seeing this in progress. I vote film orientation.

29. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

30. Boxster

Boxster Well-Known Member

Agreed.

31. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Wow. What a massive project. . . good luck.
    I would go for film orientation myself.

32. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Here's a thumbnail of how I'm planning the armature construction, lighting and cooling.

[​IMG]

Link to full size drawing.

The light box will be concealed by the deck details. At first, I was thinking along the lines of having a section of these removeable to change out the CFL, but then I hit upon the idea of having the Superlaser dish itself act as the access.

CFLs last a long time and...I will be able to experiment with different wattages by changing out different brightnesses as necessary. Cooling will be accomplished by a muffin fan installed in the light box. Ventilation holes will be concealed throughout the deck structures. 'Exhaust ports', anyone? :D

33. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Kewl... I appreciate the effort you placing into Mr. Hand (Mr. Han...DUDE..lol)...lol.

Maybe the rolling base can be made to look like the planet Endor so as not to see the wheels? (you can fix it... your dad is a TV repair man...lol). Sorry,.. just jumped back a bit to the first Sean Penn days...lol.

Quick question... does anyone have an image of what the OTHER SIDE of the DS II looks like?

34. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Yes. We order TWO plexi hemispheres for sure then. And at Christmas time, you can use a tree skirt.. :D

A cheaper alternative is for me to clad the base with sheet material and give it some kind of 'Industrial Boilerplate' look.

If we go with the Endor motif, I can reverse-paint the inside of the hemisphere like an art-neuveau lampshade. Maybe light that as well.

It's your call.

35. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

This last is VERY important for two reasons:

1. I need to know how much plexi I will need to order. Whether one or two hemispheres for the KuhnStar itself and possibly a third for the base.

2. I want to replicate, as close as possible, the breakup pattern of the outer hull-shell. The image of Bill George is helpful for the southern hemisphere, but the northern hemisphere is still a bit of a mystery. Detective work with existing references are a help, but any images of the back of the station will reduce my margin of error significantly.

36. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I just scanned in a quick 'surface block' test I did on a piece of cardboard.
    The cardboard is roughly 7 inches by 4 inches and the surface detail is approximately the size it will be on the actual model.

The colors aren't final and the details were done rather hastily. First I painted the base coat, then masked off for the darker blocks. Then I removed the masks.

Using a steel ruler and a dental scribe, I scribed off the darker gray to reveal the base color underneath. I then added pencil lines using the same ruler and then used weathering pastels to give tone variation.

The final product is will be much more carefully done, but I'm very happy with these preliminary results. I KNOW now without a doubt that I can not only do this...but I can DO IT WELL and have it look as it should.

[​IMG]

Link to full resolution scan.

I know this works because when I view it from a distance or zoom out on this scan, I've achieved the required scale effect.

Again, this is ONLY the first surface test.

37. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Wow... that DID come out kewl.

Cardboard eh? Dental scribe? You model masters kill me. ;) LOL... :D

LOL... nice and successful test Bob.

38. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Thank you.

It's a very useful test for a couple of reasons:

1. It shows that these results can be achieved with simple techniques.

2. It gives us an idea of the level of detail your Death Star will have. Your requirement is that people need to be able to see fine detail from an inch away. Well, that's the basis I'll be working under for the whole project.

I put this test together in about an hour and a half. Most of that was waiting for the paints to dry.

39. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Yup... detail is everything. As I have always stated... right up your alley.

OK Bob.... now it's time ...for you... to go... on vacation. ;)

Rest fast. Have fun.

ENJOY my friend.

40. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I'll see you all in a couple of weeks. Then it is time to GET IT ON.

You know? I look at that test and I'm tempted to go into Photoshop and comp in a whole bunch of TIE fighters flying in formation. :D

41. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Alright...just to be a smart a**, I went ahead and composited in my ERTL TIE...twice. Complete with matte lines. :D

[​IMG]

42. REL

REL Sr Member

That looks great. I thought it was a screen cap from the movie at first, this is going to be beautiful.

43. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 10 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1278242[/snapback]</div>
    This compliment, coming from the guy who's building the big Enterprise E from scratch...means a LOT to me. Thank you. :thumbsup

44. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I found this source for acrylic domes when I was considering a similar project.

http://www.cleardomes.com/domes.htm

For the deck detail will you use PE brass?

Anyone know why the filming miniature was reversed "on-screen"? Definitely Kuhn's call but I'd go with the SS orientation. ;)

45. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Jul 10 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]1278377[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the link.

PE...paperclips, guitar wire, stretched sprue, you name it.

I read that it had to do with lighting continuity. They had lit some shots one way and others in reverse. So they flipped the DSII in order to match it up. An old editing trick to save time and money.

46. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I was talking with an ILM friend of mine today, (well,.. formerly ILM I guess :) ) and he told me he had heard that I was having this built. I told him of the orientation dilema and the idea of the giant mirror that one of you mentioned earlier and he thought that was a great idea. I tend to agree, but will still hold off on the decision until we get more input from all of you here on this board. I well respect your views and thank you all for your input. Bob will need all the input he can get to build this beast.

Bob,.. There is access to laser cutting and etching for the unfinished decks if you like. However,... it would be interesting to see what you do with paper clips, guitar wire and stretched sprue.... ;) I have seen you work this kind of magic before not knowing what you used. :D

Anyway,... you're still here?... Vacation boy. GO... :p

47. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I don't leave until Saturday.

And...I'll be able to achieve great results without the need for laser cutting or tons of PE.

I'm a scrounge. And I'll use all the found items at my disposal. ;)

I have 8 months of lead time before project start. I'll make good use of it.

48. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 10 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]1278410[/snapback]</div>
    LOL...shows how much I listen, eh? :confused

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 10 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]1278410[/snapback]</div>
    Money saved is money earned. :D As long as it doesn't hinder quality..lol.

I am very happy that you have the passion for this beast. It will be awesome. :thumbsup :p :thumbsup

49. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Of that you can be sure. Cut costs, but not corners. ;)

50. REL

REL Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 10 2006, 11:32 PM) [snapback]1278419[/snapback]</div>
    Didn't Mcguyver make a DSII in one episode out of duct tape, gum and three screws?