Kuhn Global CC Red 5 - FINAL

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Kuhn Global, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

KUHN GLOBAL RED 5 is in it's FINAL FORM...

Ernie Gee did a "bang-up" job on this Re-Do..

So,.. here is a comp shot of Before and After...

[​IMG]

And then some shots taken by me last night...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ernie tells me that this build is going to be used in the international ad campaign for IWATA. I look forward to seeing the add.

And Finally It's Done.
    :D
    [​IMG]

I am pleased to no end with the final product. :thumbsup :D :thumbsup

2. REL

REL Sr Member

That looks awesome. Every bit worth the money, sweet.

3. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Overall, very clean and nicely done.

Artoo and Luke look very good, although poor Luke is bumping his poor little modified USN APH-6 on the upper canopy frame.

Nice wash technique. Makes the details pop and stand out.

Now...the critique.

TOO clean. How does Lukie-Boy GET such a nice clean bird when relative 'schmucks' like Red Leader have to fly such filthy rattle-traps?

The coloration of the R2 socket strip and the engines aft of the intakes and turbine housings and the aft bulkhead should be darker than the main body and definitely more 'beat-up' looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the base and stand very much, though. Nice and stable. Tasteful choice.

It's very purty overall though and quite nice.

4. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Yup,..Ernie kept it more clean to see the fine detail,.. but I can see how the clean factor looks a bit different. It actualy looks more clean in the pics than in person...lol...weird. I think dirtying it up would probably be a wise choice after all...

LOL..rest assured that Red Leader will be much dirtier. LOL. We are also doing it as CLOSED WINGS. Oh yeah,... it is being painted up by my bud Scott Alexander himself as a special favor to me.

5. REL

REL Sr Member

Yeah it's a little on the clean side, but that would be my only critique. Everything else looks smashing.

6. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

It's nicely built. The quality is there and apparent with multiple viewings.

Helps to have a great base like the CC kit to work with.

( Luke just got back from the X-wash. :D )

7. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

She's perty. Grats Kurt.

8. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Thanks Jesse.

Ernie called me a bit ago and wants to dirty her up a bit. The detail in person is quite amazing.

Hand Solo, (Bob), will be building up the last Raider kit I got from you. Knowing first hand Bob's previous build-ups,.. it will be a premium finish and hopefully do your kit proud. :)

9. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for posting the pics.
    I am in the middle of this kit and seeing others built up is a big help.

10. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    I'm chompin' at the bit to get busy on that Raider.

I'll be practicing on my Monogram one first.

11. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ Jul 2 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]1272786[/snapback]</div>
    You're welcome...and....Kewl... Can't wait to see it.

I still need to ask Ernie why Luke sits to high. I may have to have the bottom of the cockpit module sanded down to make room. Anybody else have that problem? He probably mentioned it to me, but I was too busy looking at Red 5 to actually hear anyone...lol.

I am sure Ernie will chime in this conversation sooner or later.

12. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Maybe Luke just needs some bulk removed from his 'glutes'. :D

I hear eating too many emergency rations goes immediately 'South of the Equator'...that and too many Little Debbie's snacks stowed in the R2 socket.... :lol

13. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

OK.. OK... scoring and weathering we go...

It's funny, but I am getting more phone calls on this than I imagined I would. I figured everyone would just post..lol.

Thanks for the input people. I want RED 5 to be perfect.

14. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 2 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]1272905[/snapback]</div>

[​IMG]

" F....f....f.....ff.... "

[​IMG]

" F*ckin' A, Bubba. "

15. REL

REL Sr Member

Has anyone ever made a brand new X-Wing right off the assembly line, all shiny with no dirt?

Yeah I know, how boring.

16. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 2 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]1272909[/snapback]</div>
    Not necessarily. I'd kinda like to see that.

I'd like to see a Y-wing with all its original sheet metal too. Hmmm. :love

A fresh X-wing with an INCOM paint job. Hi-Vis scheme. Prototype markings.

The X-65A....LOL.

17. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

A brand new Xwing would be cool. Now that idea of a Ywing with all its armor plating in place would be really cool.

Looking forward to seeing new pics of the Xwing with some wear and tear on it. As it is now....its an amazing build .. I love the subtle weathering....but I agree with others...needs to be much more dirtier.. ..

18. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

GREAT COMMENTS. I will use them...THANKS..

New versions of both the X and Y would be really kewl to see.

Since this RED5 hasn't been weathered or scored enough...yet... it has been suggested that it is a Pre-Battle or Pre-Luke RED 5.... for now anyway..lol.. so... until she gets dirtied up the Pre-Luke Pilot shall be known as Heffe Windblower. LOL ;)

I must be losing it. :p

LOL...even Scott called me on the lack of weathering. I do not wish to dis-please the gods. LOL. Naaaa... it's just Paint...right? ;) So,.. a layering we go... Who says I don't learn?. LOL.

Bottom line,.. keep the comments and input coming... need to know what needs to be done. When the comments stop,.. then she's done.

Thanks ALL.

19. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Since perfection is the standard...here's a couple more things I've noticed.

[​IMG]

20. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

21. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 3 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]1273144[/snapback]</div>

That's just from that particular view.

I recommend more feedback from others as well before getting a re-work. ;)

Those intakes definitely need some rough love too.

Also, I don't see the yellow stripes on the nose in those Episode IV trench run screen caps...

[​IMG]

The canopy frames may also be too dark.

22. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Maybe that's where things are going wrong...

Ernie mentions something about EP V being some inspiration of this RED 5.

23. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 3 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]1273187[/snapback]</div>
    Ah.

Did you order this as an Episode IV Red V? I know we're both pretty ANH-Centric... :p

24. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just some quick grabs from the DVD. Regardless of which version yours is, it's still not weathered enough in my opinion.

Granted, 3 of the four grabs are live action/full size, but they give some indicator of position of the pilot and astromech and the general condition of the plane.

I'd need to see the exact references that were used in painting your X wing to be sure of anything I've noted.

25. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

well...

I have to admit that when I viewed this model for the first time I was very star-struck and amazed. Accurracy is of prime importance in my collection,.. (not bolt counting though). I really do LOVE this build by Ernie and agree that the details need to be looked at. Ernie knows I wanted RED 5 done accurately and for the $1500 I paid him,.. he did very well, but not accurate it seems. Unless , of course, he can show reference photos to back up his portrayal of this build. I have a call into him now. I am sure he will agree that it will need to be fixed.

Ernie is a very talented guy,.. and very busy... and he knows the quality of being precise.

We'll talk and the updates will get done.

26. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

No doubt whatsoever about talent. His interpretation is beautiful.

27. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 3 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]1273147[/snapback]</div>

Yeah -- seems common on Red 5 paint ups to do very "hot" yellows

28. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 3 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]1273288[/snapback]</div>

The screen grabs from the full size DO show some yellow markings. And they are pretty mute as you point out. I've just not seen 'em stand out so much in the model photography. Of course, that could be due to the lighting and film stock.

Take a look at Spiker's CC buildup for a comparison of interpretations.

29. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Awesome model show 1st place award winning paint job, just not a true SS paint job.
    The real ships where done messy, sloppy, and dirty.

I'm sure the real SS models were not award winning as far as their paint jobs, and I know I like mine to look SS ships, not award winners. But that is just me.

Great looking model though and not knocking it in the least.

Lynn

30. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Yep. The whole idea here is not just capturing the scale of the models being done, but the replication of the LOOK of such filming models as well.

On this Xwing build-up's artistic merits, I have not a shred of criticism. I absolutely love it on an artistic basis.

I can't wait to see this again once the tweeks are done.

And with that, I think I've said enough on this thread.

31. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As there is a link to my X-Wing i might chime in here ;)

First of all the CC X-Wing is wrong in some (many ?) details as many of us figured out. So there will always be only "interpretation" of the original model.
    That is NOT a reproach at Scotts model. Its just a fact, but it devalues the kit in absolutly no way. I love the kit and its look. Its closer to Studio Scale than any other kit out there.

Kuhns X-Wing has a very nice paintjob in my opinion. It's clean but its very well done in its way.
    Nobody can ever get the paintjob 100% right as the original model has been repainted (yes lousy, i know :lol ).
    There are very very few photos for reference and these photos are either bad screenshots (where the lightning is miles away from reality) or the 4 photos made by AMT back in the 70ties (for their kit).

These 4 pics show highly saturation and are completley flashed out. You can only "imagine" how the model really looked. I weathered and detailed my X-Wing after that 4 pictures and had to make always "flashy photos" to compare to the AMT pics.
    Its difficult as hell.

Kuhn, if your X gets some more oil-washing it will look even greater than it looks right now. Be proud of it, if Master Replicas will ever release an X-Wing it will look much cleaner and not as good as yours .

Cheers,
    Philip

32. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Spiker @ Jul 4 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]1273921[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with this 100% I have built a few of these in my day and I dont think that anyone will EVER have one perfect. Not enough reference material plain and simple. I think your guy did a great job.

JDH

33. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

THANKS Philip and JDH...

BTW... YOUR X-Wing is absolutely B-E-A-utiful. The hoses in the cockpit was such a GREAT idea. Gave it real charachter.

You are soooooo right about the lighting wash-out in the pics. It is obvious you experienced the same at some point or another...lol... now I don't feel so bad. Still... as RED 5 goes.. there are improvements on mine that will be done. Ernie will be taking it over this weekend to do specific scorch and weather markings that are obvious on the RED 5 studio model in the pics that Scott has provided to me. Also,.. Luke will be lowered in the cockpit a bit more and a new canopy will be placed on since this one is warped a bit. Ernie is very talented and I am happy he did this X-Wing. Whatever details are left off after this weekend will be my responsibility entirely,.. and then I will be crucified for them instead..lol. I did ask everyone for comments...which opened pandora's box completely,.. and because I want an accurate (or as close to) version of RED 5, I do appreciate the comments,... as disturbing as they may be. I guess the bottom line is that I am happy with this X-Wing now AND after the weathering process is completed this weekend.

ALL is well in X-Wing land. ;)

As for RED Leader coming up Wednesday night,...

Scott decided to lesson the weathering on it a bit, stating that what we thought when doing it was a bit too much for RED Leader. Bob brought up a good point in that RED Leader should be in a more nice T-65 than newbie Luke..lol.

The modified pics of RED 5 will be up next Monday or Tuesday. RED Leader will be up Wed. or Thurs. of this week.

Thanks again Philip for chiming in and the wonderful compliment. Your X-Wing is definitely very kewl.

And,.. thank you all for sharing your views in order to make this RED 5 even better. :p

34. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I think its an beatuiful job too, very nice paint indeed, im not getting into whats wrong as it ruins a great thread, your a proud owner indeed. Cant wait to see Red leader as i have one kit waiting for that said job, and id love to see what you come up with. While were on it is there any good ref on Dutch's wing, ive got the Tech journal with a nice pic, and Chronicles also has a couple of images, are there any more? There seems to be a very apparent scoring running up the top midship of the hull, is this a marking worn away, or indeed blast scoring.

35. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

For my Red Leader, Scott (CC) is using the Chronicles reference. Just remember that he is not doing this as "perfect", but "close" to be quickly done for me. I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for the compliment on RED 5 ralphee.

I look forward to your kit when ya do it.

36. Boxster

Boxster Well-Known Member

Wow dude, another one coming?

Like what Ralphee said (Hi Ralphee.) As long as you are happy with it, that's all it matters. Unless its painted pink pokka dots, than we got some issues here.

I saw some dudes painted their F-14 in gloss. Tho it looks horribly toy-like but the real planes are actually gloss until its get pretty weathered in the seas and after several sorties.

B

37. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Boxster @ Jul 4 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]1274032[/snapback]</div>
    Yup... another one today.

Interesting info about the sorties.

Pink Pokka Dot paint scheme would be terribly funny to see,.. if only once. LOL. That's probably all I would be able to take..lol.

38. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

What's maddening about RED 5 Studio Models is that ILM didn't seem to make any of them look alike aside from striping.

Quick question for poll...

In EpV, when Luke crashes on Dagobah,.. the 1 to 1 scale obviously had a patch of Safety tape or paint of Red and Yellow on the top of his canopy on the opening hinge. So,.. I don't see it on any models. Should it be placed on?

39. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I'll chime in here since I'm from a NAVAIR background.

The gloss paint schemes ( actually semigloss ) would have been used in the old HiVis ( High Visibility ) schemes. Naval aircraft for the past 20 or 25 years are painted overall gray with darker gray markings. We call that 'LoVis'. Now at first, they're nice and pretty, but the sheen is never much beyond what would be a satin in a housepaint. In other words, almost dull.

Now...aircraft have panels AND systems removed on a regular basis for both phase and calendar inspections. These panels from this process, take quite a beating. Deployments, as you mention, also beat the crap out a paint-job. This is why you see a very splotchy paint job on birds at sea. The touch up painting is done for corrosion control rather than appearances.

Every few years these planes are stripped of EVERYTHING down to the airframe at a place called NARFNORVA ( Naval Air Rework Facility, Norfolk Virginia ) and completely rebuilt. Naval aircraft MUST survive two or three decades of service and thousands of flight hours in harsh environments as well as thousands of arrested landings and catapult launches.

What I like about Star Wars and the X and Y wings is that these birds show all of these signs. But they're on the extreme end of wear owing to the the nature of the Rebel Alliance. Naval aircraft, although sometimes rough looking, ARE better cared for, of course.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kuhn Global @ Jul 5 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]1274519[/snapback]</div>
    Lots of cannabilization and parts-swapping between birds went on. That's the reason, I think.

If it were up to me, I would... if my goal were completeness and not reproduction of a filming miniature.

In the end, this is your call only, as you are paying for a product to your satisfaction...

So...Yes....and....No. That didn't help much, did it? :D

40. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The 1:1 ESB is far away from the ANH SS. Would not go that route, but thats just my opinion :)

41. Boxster

Hmmm, I would say at this point that there is no right or wrong to go about this. If its on screen, its official unless the X-Wing your painter put a Mickey Mouse nose art on it. :D

True to what Hand said which btw Hand dude, you got some of the best avatars I ever seen. I totally dig SW too is because of the weatherings on the fighters looked real. Worse in the SW universe where they do not even have time to wash the fighters as they have to pack and go at any moment's notice. But than again, if we look further back to WWII. The condition of the planes are just as bad.

True, the older F-14 are in "semi" gloss. Pardon my ignorant on this matter as the closest I ever got to the F-14 is on Discovery Channel. :D

B

42. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Boxster @ Jul 5 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]1274665[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks.

That's what got me hooked starting with the original in 1977. The realism of the technology.

I used to walk under those things on the way down to the mess decks for chow. On the deck, those birds leak like a fake sponge. There'd be 5 or six shallow drain pans to collect oil and hydraulic fluid. In flight, they don't tend to leak.

Never saw a Tomcat that didn't leak sitting still, though. Sad thing is is that the Navy is in the process of retiring them. The F/A-18 E Superhornet has largely taken over the Tomcat's role in the airwing.

43. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Arent the F-14s already history?
    Last time Baby, all that.

44. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(CessnaDriver @ Jul 5 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]1274782[/snapback]</div>
    History. Headed for RAG outfits or the boneyard in the desert... :cry

45. Boxster

I supposed they need the birdies to leak some, like on the SR71 or just below my keyboard when I see Rel's work or the MR Falcon.

What is sad is that they didn't go with the Super Tomcat programme.

Kurt got new X-Wing in new thread.

B

46. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Boxster @ Jul 5 2006, 10:42 PM) [snapback]1274976[/snapback]</div>
    Cost, capabilities and airframe age as well as Beltway politics all played a role in the Tomcat's demise.

Yes. It's an in-progress of Red One.

47. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

See my MR Y-Wing Thread for Scale pics with both the RED 5 and the Y.

48. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 5 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]1274852[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I'm in the USAF stationed down at D-M in Tucson. I drive past dozens of Tomcats every day on my way to work. Kind of sad seeing all those planes just sitting there getting bleached by the sun.

49. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(superjedi @ Jul 6 2006, 02:56 PM) [snapback]1275461[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I'm in the USAF stationed down at D-M in Tucson. I drive past dozens of Tomcats every day on my way to work. Kind of sad seeing all those planes just sitting there getting bleached by the sun.
    [/b][/quote]

Unfortunately it's the inevitable fate of every bird in the inventory that isn't lost somehow in the line of duty.

That is, unless a bird is sold off to another country. ;)

50. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Oky Doky...

Ernie now has my Red 5 beastie once again,... by popular demand. LOL. He was excited to see it again as well as continue the work on it. He has much passion for his talent and work... it's just awesome. Scott had contributed to this RED 5 by sending me photos of one of the screen used units which are here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These images will be used by Ernie to replicate the weathering and scorch patterns.

I can't wait to see what he does to it. ;)

THANKS ERNIE.... :D

Thanks to Whacky Chimp for hosting these too. :D