Krylon Paint Advice

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Muad'Dib MD2B, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Muad'Dib MD2B

Muad'Dib MD2B Active Member

Some quick questions for all you expert (spray) painters,

I'm planning to use Krylon Interior/Exterior spray paint on a smooth metal surface and I'm wondering what I should do to ensure quality/durability. So...

-What kind of prep work should I do to get the surface ready before painting? Should I lightly sand/prime it, or can I just go straight to the paint colors I'm using?

-Is the paint "sturdy" enough on its own, or should I put on a clear coat to finish it up?

I originally made a post in Off Topic about the project (a shield with my Irish family crest on it to hang on the wall) because I didn't think it belonged in the main Prop Forum, but decided to post here because I want to focus on the painting aspect of it. Any advice is appreciated from you experts, since I don't have any experience with spray paint.

-Chris

2. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Sand it
    Primer it
    Wet sand
    primer
    Paint
    wet sand
    paint

3. motman241

motman241 Well-Known Member

I've had no problems with any of the Krylon spray paints, except the H2O stuff, which was a bit runny and watery. I use either regular or the Fusion on metal, and it all turns out just fine.

4. Muad'Dib MD2B

Muad'Dib MD2B Active Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. It looks like this won't be a very difficult project then.