Krylon Paint Advice

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Muad'Dib MD2B

Some quick questions for all you expert (spray) painters,

I'm planning to use Krylon Interior/Exterior spray paint on a smooth metal surface and I'm wondering what I should do to ensure quality/durability. So...

-What kind of prep work should I do to get the surface ready before painting? Should I lightly sand/prime it, or can I just go straight to the paint colors I'm using?

-Is the paint "sturdy" enough on its own, or should I put on a clear coat to finish it up?

I originally made a post in Off Topic about the project (a shield with my Irish family crest on it to hang on the wall) because I didn't think it belonged in the main Prop Forum, but decided to post here because I want to focus on the painting aspect of it. Any advice is appreciated from you experts, since I don't have any experience with spray paint.

-Chris

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

motman241

I've had no problems with any of the Krylon spray paints, except the H2O stuff, which was a bit runny and watery. I use either regular or the Fusion on metal, and it all turns out just fine.