Krylon Fusion Clearcoat

Boba Frett

Sr Member
I used Krylon Fusion for a Stormtrooper helmet , and I dirtied it up using Brak's tutorial,so here is my question.
Has anyone ever used a matte finish clearcoat over Krylon Fusion before? , And if so what type/brand?

I want to leave this permanent , never going back clean :)

I was wondering the same thing. I ended up not needing to clearcoat, but I was going to call Krylon to ask if they had a suggestion. 1-800-4krylon

id like to know also. after being a dirty jango, i cannot see being a clean storm trooper. i think its just more realistic, (how realistic is a stormtrooper in our presend day societty anyways,lol) but its just more believeable

One of our members on Omega Wing contacted Krylon & this is the response he got. Both Krylon & minwax have low sheen products. Maybe you could do a test on the inside of a piece & see what you think.
Jayn

(fwd:)
This info came directly from Krylon about clearcoating their Fusion Paint.

Thank you for your inquiry with Krylon. While the Fusion is a hard, protective, durable finish on its own, the film is not impervious. Keep in mind, Fusion is still a paint coating and can be nicked, scratched, or damaged. Consistent friction or direct pressure with a sharp object will damage the film. Please allow the last coat of Fusion to dry for 7-10 days to reach the film's maximum hardness and cure time.

If you would like to add a sacrificial clear coating over the Fusion, I would suggest using the Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish or the Minwax Polycrylic. Both of these clear coatings may be applied to a fully cured Fusion paint film. Please allow the last coat of Fusion to dry for at least 7-10 days before top coating.

NOTE: Technically you are applying a clear finish that will take the brunt of daily wear and tear before the underlying paint film. The clear finish will not be any easier to touch up and recoat then just applying an additional coat of the Fusion paint. This is the reason we do not offer a clear finish in the Fusion Line. The clear finish will not be any more durable than the Fusion paint film; but may not show the wear as quickly because of the transparent nature of clear films.

I used Krylon Clearcoat with a SATIN finish on my Commander Gree clone trooper suit and it worked just fine. Looks just like a matte finish to me.

I would personally recommend not clearcoating after doing the weathering, it may take away from the layered natural look of the dirt.

That, and part of the weathering process involves some of the built-up sand and grime wearing off in spots.

Well I learned one thing Krylon Fusion will stain, So I have to leave it a Sandy or strip the whole thing back down.
When I wet sanded the fusion paint , and added the earth colors, it stained the white.
Well anyway this is the finnished helmet clearcoated and all.
Still need some green lenses and screen for the frown.

Originally posted by Boba Frett@Sep 18 2005, 11:04 AM
I used Krylon Fusion for a Stormtrooper helmet , and I dirtied it up using Brak's tutorial,so here is my question.
Has anyone ever used a matte finish clearcoat over Krylon Fusion before? , And if so what type/brand?

I want to leave this permanent , never going back clean :)
[snapback]1079137[/snapback]​

Well, in military modeling Future Floorwax mixed with some Tamiya Matte/Flat Powder makes for one heck of a hard protective surface that is dead flat.

Future Floor Wax is an acrylic polymer that holds up well against wearing. It was designed to take the constant everyday wear and tear of people walking/running on it. And it holds up well against yellowing better than even the archival/artists matte varnishes out there. It is SUPER shiny out of the bottle though, which is why the Tamiya Flat powder needs to be added and mixed in well (let me restate that in order to get the point across... it needs to be shaken REALLY REALLY WELL).

- J.

Thanks for the info dijinn , I have a few of these laying around from old trades and I am getting ready to do another one soon. I will try that on the next one :)

You can always spray the helmet in primer white, then weather it, then clear coat it with a clear coat thats the same brand as the white primer.
If you want the finish to look more flat, then you can wet sand it and do a little bit of T-cutting.

Or you could use humbrol enamel sating or flat clear coat. You can paint these paints ontop of almost anything.

Keith.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back