Kotobukiya 1/100 Metal Gear REX

Andy3E

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What ho fellows

Well i finished my Galactica and was going to start on the TOS Battlestar, but then i saw how much resin was involved and decided id rather do something a little more straight forward (almost slicing the end of my finger off didn't help either :p)

So i decided to start on REX

Awesome boxart by Yoji Shinikawa

Obligatory spru shot

First leg

Its all unpainted, im building up the sub assemblies before i decide on the final colour scheme

anyone who's built a Bandai Gundam will be familier with how the kits go together, they essentially snap together with no need to glue (they say that, once im ready to paint ill be gluing this properly)

so far its very straight forward and fun, the legs all move correctly and extend just like Rex should,

Ive already finished the pelvis and starting on the head this evening
shouldnt take too long with this

cheers

Andy

Awesome, I can't wait for mine, even if it's just to stare at the box while I finish Voyager. I'll be watching this one.

Welp that was fast

finished the sub-assemblies last night

Pelvis

The Head

Rail Gun and Radar

TMD pack - this has the only part which gave any trouble during assembly, the dark grey plug on the bottom refused to fit into the hole without some sanding back,

And fitted together, its now going to get broken down again and given some paint, a few bits here and there will be glued, but ill be retaining all the articulation (except perhaps the foot spikes, they just keep falling off so they might get glued into place

any thoughts on colour? i wanna try to keep true to the game version, but i Do like the new splinter camo they have on the PAK-FA, also my make suggested tiger stripes, but then he is a sadistic sob ;)

Sure went together fast for all those parts. It looks like it's mostly molded in the same colors as the game. Did the kit come with figures? At one point they showed it coming with Snake, 2 ninjas, and a liquid.

Last edited:
Yeh it has Teeny Tiny Figures of Snake, Liquid and 2x Ninja's (one with the laser gun, and one about to be squished)

So yeh, bet you thought id forgotten about this and she was languishing on the bottom of the stash, nope
no annoyingly I got it into my head that Digital Camo might be a good look for the REX

aaannndd that kinda takes a while to apply all that tape

So still need to touch up a few places, and then apply a wash, but thought id share where we are at the moment,

anyway hope you like it, cos like hell im gonna repaint it at this point :p

Great camo work! Nice, clean & crisp pattern with a good set of color. Can't wait to see it with the wash. I'm still at a loss on how to paint mine.

Paint job looks great. Was that all cut by hand? I'm in the middle of masking and painting a FM X-Wing, so I can relate.

-MJ

Yeh all cut by hand (and almost writs on a few occasions :p) it was cut into small strips and then laid over the model, then painted going from dark colours to light

With these Japanese mech kits I understand that they are also snap together.

Did you snap the whole thing together then pull it back apart to paint?

Nick

Yeh, I snapped subassemblies together to paint, then took them apart to put other components id left off back on, im not going to glue it because it doesn't need it, and i might want to re-paint one day

Just got this kit as a present from my brother in law.

Will be using your build as a rough guide to move forward on it. I've never built a Japanese kit before. Should be fun.

What ho chaps and chapesses, After a short interlude off to Australia im back and finally finished off my MG-REX model

Decided to paint it in a Digital Camo pattern which was an absolute BALLACHE! but the end result is actually really sweet and im very happy with it.
Added some decals, mostly from a 1/72 F-22 Kit of course the problem with low-vis Grey markings on a grey model is some of them really dont stand out very well, but i suspect thats the whole point of low-vis markings in the first place :p

I also weathers the model with a mixture of an oil-wash, some Promodeller Dark Dirt, and some cMK Star Dust which gave a great effect, i tried to keep the dust confined to the lower parts of the legs and the underside of the model where i guess the dust would be kicked up.

now unfortunately something has literally eaten away at some of the plastic, I had a couple of parts literally crumble away while i was moving the mode, so i decided to post id and reinforce with glue the joints, so it really isnt re-posable now, im not sure if it was poor plastic being use int he modelling, or a reaction to something i painted with (but that was just acrylics, an oil wash and a spray of Halfords clear) so just be careful if your making this kit, but otherwise very happy witht he end result :)

thanks for looking, hope you like it :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back