MattMunson

Master Member
also WHOA the decrementing counter in that video was a HUGE surprise. I'm wondering if that was added later, or if I just didn't know how to activate that at that time. I dont' recall any kind of electronics going down to the trigger. Interesting.

also WHOA the decrementing counter in that video was a HUGE surprise. I'm wondering if that was added later, or if I just didn't know how to activate that at that time. I dont' recall any kind of electronics going down to the trigger. Interesting.
It doesn’t look like it’s actually activated by the trigger. It seems to just be counting down totally on its own.

MattMunson

Master Member
You may be right. I'm scraping my memory REALLY hard to recall that detail but I'm coming up empty. That said my memory sucks so there's that.
I think no matter how you slice it, those pics adn video are great reference, and I think this is a fantastic study in the thought process that goes into replicating a prop. Are you trying to match what you think you saw on screen? Are you trying to make an in-world weapon? Are you trying to duplicate the prop in the pics? Because all of those are three different things that will yield different results.

You may be right. I'm scraping my memory REALLY hard to recall that detail but I'm coming up empty. That said my memory sucks so there's that.
I think no matter how you slice it, those pics adn video are great reference, and I think this is a fantastic study in the thought process that goes into replicating a prop. Are you trying to match what you think you saw on screen? Are you trying to make an in-world weapon? Are you trying to duplicate the prop in the pics? Because all of those are three different things that will yield different results.
It really is fascinating. Personally I’m trying to find a balance between an in world weapon and the prop itself. Like, for me, the prop is the starting point but certain things need to be cleaner for it to feel right to me. I guess I’m aiming for the version of the prop that would be suitable for super close up shots. So not necessarily as-issued clean, but worn in ways that would be true to an in world object. As opposed to replicating the prop exactly where the damage and imperfections are due to the fabrication methods and handling of the prop during filming. It’s strange to think about because even when I was a kid I would get fixated on the “accuracy” of things and now I’m coming to realize that more often than not there isn’t any single accurate way to portray something and even when there is, it may not feel “right” anyway.

Brigandia36

Sr Member
VEKTOR-2.jpg

I want to understand how the movie gun is working ...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 09-39-32 Shooting Vektor CP1 - a cool South African 9mm.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 09-39-32 Shooting Vektor CP1 - a cool South African 9mm.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 10

jasonw2112

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a Sideshow Collectibles gun ( actually 2, 1 is taken apart ), along with some metal parts that were fabricated,
I purchased here, years ago. If It's any help. I also have a very nicely cast Vector gun itself, That I purchased
from MattMunson, as well. I've been trying to figure out the greeblies on the rear, as well as the metal cone shaped
piece. I wanted to replace as many metal pieces, as I can, for 1 of the gun's I own. That project just kinda stalled

BlasterMaster

It really is fascinating. Personally I’m trying to find a balance between an in world weapon and the prop itself. Like, for me, the prop is the starting point but certain things need to be cleaner for it to feel right to me. I guess I’m aiming for the version of the prop that would be suitable for super close up shots. So not necessarily as-issued clean, but worn in ways that would be true to an in world object. As opposed to replicating the prop exactly where the damage and imperfections are due to the fabrication methods and handling of the prop during filming. It’s strange to think about because even when I was a kid I would get fixated on the “accuracy” of things and now I’m coming to realize that more often than not there isn’t any single accurate way to portray something and even when there is, it may not feel “right” anyway.
My interpretation approach is very similar. From the hero prop reference photos, I noticed there are a few parts that are a bit warped, so in my model they will be straightened out and made more like I think the gun would actually be manufactured. I'll still add weathering to the finished product, but won't try to replicate exact damage.

I have a Sideshow Collectibles gun ( actually 2, 1 is taken apart ), along with some metal parts that were fabricated,
I purchased here, years ago. If It's any help. I also have a very nicely cast Vector gun itself, That I purchased
from MattMunson, as well. I've been trying to figure out the greeblies on the rear, as well as the metal cone shaped
piece. I wanted to replace as many metal pieces, as I can, for 1 of the gun's I own. That project just kinda stalled

That would be very helpful. The reference photos have been great for setting the scale of the prop on its side, but I'm having to guess a lot more for the scale of parts width-wise. I just 3D printed the frame (grip) part of my model and it felt too small. I can't tell if it's just not wide enough or if my scale is off entirely. It would be great if you could measure a few points on your props. I'll add a few extra points of reference just to confirm the photo with the ruler is portraying accurate dimensions.

A. Upper receiver width
B. Upper receiver length
C. Slide width (is it the same width as the upper receiver? Some of the photos I've seen make it seem a little less wide)
D. Barrel inner diameter
E. Lower receiver width
F. Hand guard width
G. Grip width
H. Frame greeblies width

img1 markup.jpeg

eethan

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What a sudden interest for that blaster! :) :) Looking forward to see your models guys :)
By the way, I guess the people that didn't know that I was working on this too will have guessed that something was up from the comments and mentions of my name at the begining of that thread :) I have finally sourced a correct end mill for all the beveled details on the receiver! I still need to get it in hand to make sure it's the good one but it's very promising :)
I have been looking for almost 6 months, which is the reason why that run has been pushed back quite a bit, there was no way to do it without that end mill.

jasonw2112

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm gonna try to dig out the parts, as well as my replicas, with measurements using a digital micrometer. Just give me a couple days, getting the kid ready for school to start! Been a little busy!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.