KOOLSHADE info or TIE Fighter Wing material

If anyone would be interested in going this route, I can stretch out what's left from my supplier if there's sufficient interest. ...

Matt did a really nice job with his last run. :thumbsup

JW - Here is a video of it being unrolled. Might give you an idea of the thickness.

Last edited:
I would like to have a 3 or 4" square ( Or a wedge ) to frame with a good Tie Fighter print just for a cool display. I doubt I would ever be in a position to build a full SS one.

-James

If I can get at least 4 solid confirms for orders, I'll try to do one last run so throw me emails (pm's are almost full so email is better--it's listed below in my sig-- acadiatech@adelphia.net). For people that want pictures after theirs arrives I can accomodate. The run later last year never really took off like the first one did in '09 and I made the mistake of ordering ahead of deposits and some people never followed through and left me with it.

So, if any folks are really serious about getting this stuff, feel free to message me. I just don't want to have to chase people down or deal with "tire kickers" as only about 20% of those who say they want it end up buying it. I can give fairly firm estimates on price, including a percentage of the shipping costs to get it here which is factored into the cost(s), plus an estimate of how much (around $20-25) to ship to you via Fedex.

The cost for the good quality material is about the cost of a Nice-N Hero Tie kit with armature, without much scrap left it's $450-500 and the lesser quality sections for a tie are in the $350-400 range if you don't mind it needing a repaint since the finish on those sections is matte and discolored in areas.

Since this topic has been covered a lot, I've created an interest thread.. would be happy to answer any questions there to keep the S.S. section clean:
http://www.therpf.com/f13/vintage-ilm-koolshade-thread-110039/

Last edited:
Glad you like it Kevin!

All of the unused, bought-as-new stock that sat around these 30 years is ever so slightly different, usually it goes from jet black, to a couple clicks lighter, but it all has the trademark sheen. I haven't been able to decide if it's natural aging/sunlight exposure, or what. But I wouldn't be ashamed to use any of it on a Hero build.. which, I am aching to see by the way!

For comparison, the aged variety that seemed to be left outside to the ravages of time...

Without retouching with an airbrush, it's probably more suitable for an SS T.U.R.D Fighter (yes, it really is that brown..)

poofighter.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I've recently gained an interest in the Studio Scale TIE and have been researching parts.

Jason's statement intrigued me:

What you are referring to is the 23 louver material, also known as LSA for
low sun angle. It has not been produced
since 1991 - 1992. there was a special machine that compressed the 17
louver into 23 louver. The machine stopped
working and the demand was not great enough to justify investing in the
repair.

So this verifies that it is the same stuff, its simply they can't compress it anymore.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to build something that could compress it by hand in small sections? It might be labor intensive, but considering the cost and availability of the vintage stuff, I'm wondering if its worth the effort.

I know the vintage stuff was going for $50 per sq.ft. How much does the regular stuff go for?

Does anybody have any samples/scraps of either they'd be willing to share for somebody who'd like to experiment?

Hi John,

The vintage shade was made on a large (and incredibly complex) wire loom of sorts which braided the vertical loop wire (or louver) around the horizontal slats which set them at a specified angle desired by the manufacturer. To my knowledge, there was no "pressing" involved, per se... the machines were created and calibrated only for one specific louvre count per square inch.

The current manufacturer said that a new machine was in development that could potentially specify different psi, but that there isn't much need for it as their solution with the newer (post-1991) shade was to use less material, more spacing and a steeper angle of the horizontal slats to have the same cooling properties of the vintage shade. Bad news for S.S. enthusiasts but good for them as it uses less material/lowers costs.

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I've recently gained an interest in the Studio Scale TIE and have been researching parts.

Jason's statement intrigued me:

So this verifies that it is the same stuff, its simply they can't compress it anymore.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to build something that could compress it by hand in small sections? It might be labor intensive, but considering the cost and availability of the vintage stuff, I'm wondering if its worth the effort.

I know the vintage stuff was going for $50 per sq.ft. How much does the regular stuff go for?

Does anybody have any samples/scraps of either they'd be willing to share for somebody who'd like to experiment?

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, but since we are on the topic of Koolshade here -

OK, this post is NOT going to help you one bit with any details on the TIE. But it is an interesting bit of trivia that I stumbled upon.

Architect Pierre Koenig (no relation, I'm presuming, to the commander of Moonbase Alpha) is well known amongst architectural geeks for his mid-century modern houses - you know, the ones with walls of glass that were built on tops of a lot of local L.A. hills. His Stahl house ( The Stahl House | Case Study House #22 ) is where the Tim Allen character in "Galaxy Quest" lives. (He also lived, literally, down the street from me when I lived in Brentwood.)

I was reading an article about one of his houses south of L.A. in a book and came across this page (pay special attention to the highlighted text) -
tie-spotting-first-post-updated-koolshade_house2.jpg-73215d1320167003

And if I hear reports of the homeowners coming home one day and discovering hexagon shaped pieces of Koolshade missing from their window screens, I'm going to phone in an anonymous tip to the cops...... :rolleyes

Gene

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back