KOOLSHADE info or TIE Fighter Wing material

MODS,
Before merging this with the TIE thread I ask the Mods to stick this for a while. You have no idea how many emails and PMs I have received about this stuff. I would like this to serve as an announcement for a while.

R.D. Sunshine is still around and making plenty of Koolshade. I went up there yesterday and took one of Steve's wings with me. The man in charge is Mark we came to the conclusion that to have enough material to make "hero wings" for a SS TIE we will need a 4'x6' piece of Koolshade. The price for just the Koolshade will be $216.

Mark's contact info is:

voice mail: 817-461-1144
FAX: 817-459-3008
email: solrman@earthlink.net

The 800 phone numbers no longer work. Emailing or Faxing Mark will be the best way to get ahold of him.

Mark also wants pictures of any completed TIEs that show the Koolshade material being used to put on Koolshade's website.
Also if anyone is interested in making a TIE fighter for Mark please contact him. he REALY wants one. I had to turn him down because I could not gaurantee when I could even beging to work on one.

Now stop pestering me and buy the Koolshade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_wink.gif

This is a 01/03/2011 update for Mark. Reach me at 800 478 7439 or email me at solrman at earthlink.net for information. I still have the material and it is the original material, not the stamped aluminum fake stuff.

How many louvers per inch is needed for a SS TIE Fighter?

Also, was koolshade used on the 32" Falcon at the six engine vents and the strip around the cockpit?

You need the VINTAGE Kool Shade at 21(ish) louvers per inch. The newer stuff is more like 17... visually quite different.

Thanks Gentlmen, i fired off an email about the VINTAGE Kool Shade at 21(ish) louvers per inch,.... I'll post the response for all when I get it.

I did the same yesterday, lol - got a reply:

"What you are referring to is the 23 louver material, also known as LSA for
low sun angle. It has not been produced
since 1991 - 1992. there was a special machine that compressed the 17
louver into 23 louver. The machine stopped
working and the demand was not great enough to justify investing in the
repair."

We need to get someone to go back in time and fix his machine :p

Does everyone need more? I have next to nothing left of the stock I had here, but my supplier still has a handful of sheets left of the vintage stuff.

Also I was contacted from someone over the "pond" recently that says he has a couple ROLLS that were uncovered from about 20 years ago in storage. The bad news, I am not sure he is keen on selling it since I didn't hear back from him after he contacted me.

I would like to get enough for a TIE Fighter SS build, I can't see myself building a five foot Falcon in my life. However, are there any other SS builds that require Koolshade?

It was mentioned earlier in this thread, in order to make the "hero wings" for a SS TIE a person will need a 4'x6' piece of Koolshade.

How big of a piece is needed to make one side of one wing?

Hi guys,

I just thought I would mention, that a company In Australia still has stock of LSA Koolshade.

I have not negotiated a price as yet, as it depends on the amount. The more ordered the less the price.

I realy dont want to bug these people for small cuts, as they have been helpfull to me. But I would be happy to help out anyone who would like to stock some of this stuff for modelers etc.

Ozzy

You got a response? I had no luck in that department.

Another major consideration if you do have success--the shipping is going to add a huge amount to the price for anyone not located in Australia. It's made out of bronze and enough for even 3 TIE's would be at least 35 lbs. of shipping weight. But it might be worth it if you can steal it for a bargain price.

A word of warning, the seller does know its value and will probably charge accordlingly. After he told me my supplier was not the only source left who had it and that he knew how rare it was, he never responded to me again. He was either browsing this forum or the saw the post with my contact info on modelermagic.com.

Also, make sure you can verify the condition of the material being sold for louvre damage before you commit to buying anything. After 20-30 years there's a strong likelihood that it won't exactly look like it did back when it was manufactured. I got lucky with the amount of decent quality stuff I was able to provide (dated 1981)--even then, I wasn't ultimately happy with some of the sections I sent out, and kept the worst ones for myself. Feel free to message me as I've already been down this road.

Hi guys,

I just thought I would mention, that a company In Australia still has stock of LSA Koolshade.

I have not negotiated a price as yet, as it depends on the amount. The more ordered the less the price.

I realy dont want to bug these people for small cuts, as they have been helpfull to me. But I would be happy to help out anyone who would like to stock some of this stuff for modelers etc.

Ozzy

Last edited:
I'm interested in enough for one TIE, the ROTJ AT-ST and the Shuttle. According to Steve's post, 2x6 should cover it given no mess ups, right?

LMK if a list gets going.

Joe

If you're laser precise and make no mistakes, you can actually get away with using less material for the 24 wing pieces. In the scenario below (shot tonight), the templates share a "seam" line where one cut would split two in half. This is possible with the right cutting shears without warping, but I've never done it and usually like to leave a little border around each piece. The paper templates in the photo also account for the 1/2" border that sits hidden underneath the wing spars.

If anyone would be interested in going this route, I can stretch out what's left from my supplier if there's sufficient interest. The amount needed in a case like this would be a hair over 8 square feet, not including the small leftover scraps. This would also be reflected in a lower price. These would be for the "risky and frisky" TIE builder. Also, this measurement is based on the size of the Nice-N kit, which some have said may have slightly smaller (height) stars than one of the original filming models. This is another reason why 10 square feet is a safer bet.

Matt

vksmeasure.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back