Knightfall (Templar) Reproduction Uniform

subaquatic

Hi All,
Im interested in making a full replica outfit of Landry du Lauzon from the History TV Series Knightfall... There are many amazing reference pictures online, but Im wondering if anyone has any patterns, knoweldge of the clothing or costume department contacts I may be able to ask advice from? Any advice or pointers greatly received.
Tunic Maile Cloak.jpg

The surcoat and cloak aren't too complicated, ditto the spaulders. Maille isn't too hard to acquire. The shirt is a hauberk, based on the length and the long sleeves. The neck piece is a mantle (occasionally "bishop's mantle") though it looks like it might be attached to a coif (head protection.)

The surcoat and cloak aren't too complicated, ditto the spaulders. Maille isn't too hard to acquire. The shirt is a hauberk, based on the length and the long sleeves. The neck piece is a mantle (occasionally "bishop's mantle") though it looks like it might be attached to a coif (head protection.)
Thanks for the proper names, that makes my searches so much easier. Really Appreciated.

You can probably buy the mail and the surcoat on Museum Replicas or Kult of Athena and they might carry the coif/mantle as well. You should also be aware that mail comes in 2 main varieties, butted and riveted. Butted is where the rings are just butted closed with nothing holding it closed, this makes the mail cheaper but it's not historically accurate. The other type is riveted in where the ends of the rings are flattened and riveted closed (not rounded like most butted mail is, this is historically accurate but will cost you more. Also, for greater historical accuracy, the mail hauberk should be more fitted and you wouldn't have so much extra material around the cuffs like they do on the show.

What Riceball said. There is a ton of chainmail shirts coming out of India - both butted and riveted - of pretty decent quality. It's driven the price of both types down significantly. Riveted still isn't cheap per se, but it's not as prohibitively expensive as it used to be. I may be wrong, but it looks like the show is using butted mail. The actual Templars - and most anyone back to the Romans - would have had some type of riveted mail.

So you have options.

HIRES promo shots of the episodes reveals that Laundry has butted flat rings in his coif and riveted round rings in his hauberk. Other characters seems to have butted round rings in both. In some shots Laundry seems to have butted round rings in his coif.

To be more historical accurate there are so many things to be fixed in that costume.

Edit: In some close-up shots Gawain seems to be also wearing round ring riveted hauberk. It must be their hero mail.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 222
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Hi All,
Im interested in making a full replica outfit of Landry du Lauzon from the History TV Series Knightfall... There are many amazing reference pictures online, but Im wondering if anyone has any patterns, knoweldge of the clothing or costume department contacts I may be able to ask advice from? Any advice or pointers greatly received.View attachment 1045088
Hi. And what happen with the outfit, you finish? I am not speak spanish im sorry if you don't understand me XD

Hi guys, thanks for all the info, sadly after my initial enquiry and research began, covid and financial issues hit hard, so the project is currently on hold... I hope to be able to restart as soon as finances allow... thanks for all the help though

Hey all, really loved the show. I wanted to just make the surcoat and clock that all the Templars wear.
I am having a tough time finding which fabric looks the same as what was used in the show.

Does anyone have an idea what fabric is a close match?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back