Knife Mold HELP

MegaLEGOFilms

Hey Guys, so, I am making a film series and needed a knife for one of the characters. Today at a flea market I found a cool Survival Knife for $2.50 and I want to cast it as it is not safe for a movie in it's current state. It is this knife, but different coloring (black handle, silver blade) http://www.amazon.com/Aitor-Jungle-Fixed-Blade-Handle/dp/B009QAIZSO Anyways, I need help figuring out how to mold it, and preferably for cheap, as more props are still needed for the film. Thanks! Please post cheapest methods you know!

Depending on the method, a two-part brush-on mold would probably be the cheapest method, as you don't need as much material as e.g. a block-mold would need.
Depending on the material, silicone would normally be your material of choice, although it might be a little pricey. You could try caulk silicone, which is cheaper than RTV silicone, but can effect your level of details.

Btw, how is the knife shown in the film? Close-ups, so all the details need to be seen? Or is it just important to recognice it as a knife? I mean, you could probably use latex, plaster, wet sand or even salt dough for molding, but the level of details will decrease with the latter options.

Depending on the method, a two-part brush-on mold would probably be the cheapest method, as you don't need as much material as e.g. a block-mold would need.
Depending on the material, silicone would normally be your material of choice, although it might be a little pricey. You could try caulk silicone, which is cheaper than RTV silicone, but can effect your level of details.

Btw, how is the knife shown in the film? Close-ups, so all the details need to be seen? Or is it just important to recognice it as a knife? I mean, you could probably use latex, plaster, wet sand or even salt dough for molding, but the level of details will decrease with the latter options.

We are going to use the real knife for close ups, and the fake one for everything else

Then, if you have to buy your molding material anyway (if you don't happen to have some stuff around already), you should give caulk silicone a try. One tube should be enough for the mold, and you can cast pretty much everything common with it

A tip with the silicone caulk: If you mix in a couple drops of acrylic paint (such as you would mix the hardener into auto body filler), it'll set up really quickly. Otherwise it'll take forever and you may even have thicker sections that stay gooey.

-Rog

A tip with the silicone caulk: If you mix in a couple drops of acrylic paint (such as you would mix the hardener into auto body filler), it'll set up really quickly. Otherwise it'll take forever and you may even have thicker sections that stay gooey.

-Rog

Thanks for the tip!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back