Knife from The Hunted - any cheapo ones out there?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just found the dvd, and was planning on watching it later tonight.

I remember the real knife that matches the one in the movie is incredibly expensive for something I am never going to use. Any chance there is a knock off that is kinda close out there?

Long shot, but ya never know till ya ask :)
Chris

You can find some that are ~close~ on the 'bay by searching for: "WSK Knife", or "Tracker Knife". I was gonna do the same thing, but I decided I would build my own instead:

steel01.jpg

steel02.jpg

Of course, I did ^THIS^ several years ago, & once I got this far, I decided I wanted to make a "proper" knife, so the project is on-hold until I get a forge built. Which won't be happening anytime too soon.

w00h00!

Snagged one for 15$ :)

Thanks guys! This is something I have been meaning to add to the collection but never really got the chance to before now.

Chris

I have a friend who is a blacksmith. As in hammers out the blades one at a time from steel that he folds himself. If I have loaded this correctly it is a sample of his work. This was made to fit my hand. The coin is a US quarter for scale. They run about 200 USD from him

Awesome. How many folds? I remember reading articles from the 1980s that had knives made from 512 layers which should be 9 folds.

TO CAVX

I believe this one was folded 10x. He also re-tempered the steel a few times so that it would be just the right mix to hold an edge extremely well, and not be too brittle to use as a thrower. This guy has his own full forge and oven for tempering. The balance is absolutely amazing. Lemme tell ya, this thing is wicked sharp. Cut right through the leather sheath I made for it. Had to cut down a hard plastic case from a machete.It is a little over 1/4 of an inch thick. It weighs just a touch over 26 ounces.

@studiousjames You're friend seems very talented! A 10x fold is impressive (in my book). Like the look and feel of these tracker knifes. Unfortunalety getting these things to The Netherlands is almost impossible. Strict weapon laws, most sites don't even ship here and when they do, big chance that they get seized by customs.

Yup Ross, the blacksmith, is pretty impressive. You should see what his hands look like after finishing this kind of a blade. More band aids than skin. It is like shaking hands with a baseball glove. He normally goes for 6 - 8 folds. This was a custom job and we have been friends for about 20 years. I still cannot believe that he only charged me the friend price for it. Everyone who has seen it in person wants one.
Sorry to hear that it is so hard to get a good knife shipped to you. I would have been willing to ask if he had any free time coming up to make another one.

TO CAVX

I believe this one was folded 10x. He also re-tempered the steel a few times so that it would be just the right mix to hold an edge extremely well, and not be too brittle to use as a thrower. This guy has his own full forge and oven for tempering. The balance is absolutely amazing. Lemme tell ya, this thing is wicked sharp. Cut right through the leather sheath I made for it. Had to cut down a hard plastic case from a machete.It is a little over 1/4 of an inch thick. It weighs just a touch over 26 ounces.

:thumbsup 10x times? WOW. So that would equate to 1024 layers of steel?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back