KJP1 & Scanner Bios - DONE

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
I got a raw KJP1 and a raw Scanner bio in the mail from chocoboy83 (Bryce) today - he wants me to paint up his P1 and Scanner Bios for him. This thread will be used to show Bryce the daily updates and also as a guide for n00bs on how to complete a raw Bio from start to finish.

First up is the KJP1 Bio. Its a perfect mold from Casey (as usual!) and it reminded me how much I like this Bio. First thing I did was dremmel out the eyes and then I drilled out the 3 holes in the tri-laser assembly. I also trimmed the laser shroud and put a hole in to connect the tri-laser. You'll notice that the area right between the eyes ins't dremmeled - that'll happen tomorrow - my dremmel battery died!

1024.jpg

1026.jpg

PS - remember kiddies - always wear a respirator when you are dremmeling resin - the dust is seriously harmful to your lungs!

1009.jpg

When I looked at the Scanner, I couldn't help but be unimpressed with how wafer-thin it is in some areas. I have to be super careful just handling it because if I grab it wrong, the Bio will crack. I had to use my dremmel to remove a bunch of imperfections so that the painting process is easier. Rough edges make painting more difficult, and this Bio is riddled with burrs and bumpies. I also removed the eyes and will look for some 2 3/4" lenses tomorrow.

This is the easiest way to remove the eye area on any Bio - dremmel holes around the edges, and then just trim the excess right up to the edge:

1023.jpg

The white marks are just the burrs that have been ground down. They disappear when its been primed.

1025.jpg

Tomorrow I finish the dremmeling, wash and clean all the resin dust off, and then start priming for paint...

Hey Jason, be sure to wash the KJP1 with dish soap and warm water to remove the mold release and insure that the paint sticks well. I'll be fallowing this thread closely. I'm sure they'll be fantastic!

Yeah Jason sorry about the scanner being so thin I pour 6 layers of resin and 2 of them with fiberglass chop and it still came out thin in spots. I havent got the whole resin pouring thing down like Casey. One I would get the top to be nice and solid and the jawline would be thin and the other just the opposite. Even the one I got from Pete years ago was thin and I had to be real carefull with it. I ended up putting some fiberglass on the back to give it more strength.

cool lookin forward to the scanner paint.
hey bryce do you want me to post a thread for scuba as well?

Found some lenses - one reflective and the other a green/purple reflective. Let me know what you prefer Bryce.

1032.jpg

1033.jpg

I sprayed them with a coat of flat black. The KJP1 looks grey, but its just the lighting - they are both black as night:

On the Scanner, I used some cyanoacrylate (krazy glue) to repair a small crack on the back fin and now you can't even see that there was a crack there.

1037.jpg

On the KJP1, I drilled a hole through the Bio on the left side for the LED wires that will be put through later. I dremmeled out the small narrow area between the eyes, and I also glued the laser shroud and the tri-laser on:

1038.jpg

cool! not sure which lenses yet, what does everyone else think? i think ill be able to decide once the bio is painted. or do u have to kno rite now?

I drilled out the holes for the LED's on the Scanner Bio. Then I put two different colors of automotive silver on top of a slightly green layer. The green shows through just slightly.

1060.jpg

Going out tomorrow night to see Wolverine. Back at it on Wednesday...

Haven't had a chance to work on it for 3 days. Saw Wolverine and tonight Star Trek. Gonna downstairs tonight and apply some spongy action! Expect pics this weekend...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back