KittyPurry27's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

KittyPurry27

This will be my second year entering the RPF Halloween Contest. I’m still fairly new to costuming/cosplay and I learn more with each new project I do. I would be nowhere without the information and knowledge I garner from the experienced cosplayers on the RPF and of course the advice and assistance from my husband. I know, blah, blah, but I just want to express my appreciation. :)

Now… on to the costume! Ever since seeing the latest installment of Resident Evil – Retribution, I knew I wanted to be Project Alice.
ku-xlarge.jpg

The Buckles
After checking some threads on the RPF I learned from pinder91 that the buckles used for the costume were motorcross boot buckles from the Men’s Adult F3 Comp 5 Fox Racing boot and that the costume would require 94 of them (2 for the hands, 4 for the shoulders, 32 for the vest and 56 for the boots). Well that was all well and good, since Fox Racing sells replacement buckle sets and the sets come 8 buckles per package. However the first challenge I faced was the fact that the replacement sets were not cheap and almost impossible to find. Since I needed so many, I bought as many as I could (56) and decided I would try to fabricate the rest.
DSC_0451.JPG

The first step of the fabrication process was to cut off a large portion of the strap from the buckle. In order to keep them all uniform, my husband devised a set and punch system that enabled exact placement and removal of the strap for each buckle.

IMG_3107.jpg

Then we separated the remaining portion of the strap from the buckle so that each buckle was two separate pieces. Fabrication was next and was achieved through molding and casting of the separate pieces with Alumilite.
IMG_3089.jpg

Since neither my husband nor I had ever worked with anything like this we worked as a team to create the molds and then pour the casts.
IMG_3091.jpg IMG_3092.jpg IMG_3094.jpg IMG_3095.jpg

We completely covered each piece with the molding material and once the molds had set, cut slits in them in order to then pour the casting material.
IMG_3099.jpg

Once the casting material has been mixed, you have less than a minute before it begins to harden, so I would hold the slits of the molds open while my husband would mix and pour the casting material and then I would gently rock the mold back and forth to ensure complete coverage throughout the mold. This took some practice, as our first few attempts were futile.
IMG_3088.jpg IMG_3090.jpg

I had purchased a dye to mix in with the casting material so that the pieces would be black (like the original buckles) in the hopes that I would then only have to paint the buckle portion silver. However, as we could never get the dye to completely mix and uniformly distribute, the casts ended up looking like a gray/black swirled mess. So we ended up just painting the strap portion with black spray paint and the buckle portion with silver model paint.
IMG_3119.jpg IMG_3109.jpg

We then had to drill a hole in the strap portion for the rivet that would attach the completed buckle to the different pieces of the costume. I left this up to my husband, who again devised a set using Super Sculpey on which to place the straps and ensure accuracy when drilling.
IMG_3111.jpg IMG_3113.jpg

The two pieces were then put back together using galvanized finishing nails.
IMG_3118.jpg

Since I couldn’t find any actual rivets that would work, I bought a piece of embellished leather from the fabric store, cut off the silver embellishments and then hot glued them onto the strap portion of the buckle.
IMG_3121.jpg IMG_3123.jpg DSC_0469.JPG

The Boots
I found a pair of reasonably priced black wedge boots from Amiclubwear.com that were close matches, but needed some modification.
DSC_0444.JPG

First, I removed the buckles and then I covered them in black auto heading (the stuff that goes on the ceiling of your car) that I bought from the fabric store. I wrapped one piece of fabric around the boot to size it and create a pattern, cut it out and then sewed it (inside out) with the seam going up the center on the front of the boot.
DSC_0460.JPG DSC_0459.JPG

I then turned it right side out and, using some black pleather, added some detail along the top edge. Next I slipped it over the boot and hot glued it along the bottom to keep it in place.
DSC_0468.JPG

The buckles were then added by a combination of sewing and industrial strength hot glue.
DSC_0466.JPG

Last edited:
In order to ensure that the buckles were placed in a straight line from top to bottom, a temporary line of thread was run up the back of the boot as a guide.
IMG_3215.jpg IMG_3213.jpg

For the front of the boot, the seamline of the auto heading was used as a guide for straightness. Since the width of the boot didn’t allow for placement of the buckles evenly from front to back, the buckles on the front were staggered slightly from those of the back.
0089.JPG

The Suit Bottom
The suit began as a Zentai full body suit…
IMG_3128.jpg

that I pretty much mutilated – the head was cut off, the fingers were cut off of the hands, and since I wanted to be able to get in and out of the suit a little bit easier, I decided to make it two pieces.
DSC_0533.JPG

The neck and hands were then accented with black pleather along the cut edges.

The top and bottom were made of two different fabrics layered together. The first layer was the Zentai suit. For the second (or top) layer, I used a 4-way stretch black nylon spandex with a matte metallic coating that I had left over from last year’s costume. Since the bulk of the pants were constructed of the black nylon spandex and since the seams of the Alice suit were different than that of the Zentai suit (down the middle of the front and back rather than down the inside and outside of the leg), I decided to cut the pants of the Zentai suit down the middle and front of the legs which I then used as a pattern when cutting the black nylon spandex.
DSC_0555.JPG

The pant legs were then sewn together using strips of black pleather to accent all of the seams.
0067.jpg

After the pant legs had been cut, I no longer needed the fabric from pant legs of the Zentai suit except to create the illusion of an underlayer for the oval cut-outs on the inside and outside of the legs. For the these cut-outs, I used Microsoft Word shapes to draw two ovals, one about ½ inch larger than the other, which I printed out and used as a patterns. (I used this same method for creating the upside down triangle on the front of the pants.)
Oval copy.jpg

With the smaller oval, I cut out holes on the outer black nylon spandex layer, and with the larger oval, I cut the underlayer pieces from the leftover Zentai suit fabric. It appeared to me that the pleather detailing around the ovals was a little thicker than the pleather detailing that ran along the pant leg seams, so I created some piping using strips of pleather and some cotton cording. I then sewed all three together – the underlayer ovals, the black pleather piping and the outer layer pant legs.

The Suit Top
Next I needed to create a pattern for the outer layer of the top covering the chest. For this, I found a picture of the screen worn costume online, but the mannequin was posed on a slant.
Top.jpg

So using Adobe Photoshop, I skewed the photograph, cropped it and then sized the photo to be as large as I needed for the chest section. Once printed, it worked really well as a pattern for the outer layer, again made with the 4-way stretch black nylon spandex with a matte metallic coating. I then sewed this outer layer to the underlayer Zentai suit, using some of the black pleather piping for detail along the chest. Black pleather and black pleather piping was used to create guards along the forearms, elbows and the tops of the hands. You can’t see them because they are covered by the vest, but I put in snaps along the bottom of the top and the top of the pants to hold them together and to keep the top from riding up while wearing it. Buckles were then attached to the tops of the hands using a combination of industrial strength hot glue and sewing.

Last edited:
Umbrella Corporation Logo
The Umbrella Corporation logo on the top portion of the suit was constructed out of Super Sculpey.
DSC_0458.JPG

Using colored electrical tape, I created triangles and stuck them onto the baked Super Sculpey octagon and then sealed it with clear polyurethane. Once this was dry, I attached it to the suit with E-6000 adhesive.

The Vest
I constructed the vest out of black elastic. Unfortunately, the widest piece I was able to find was 3 inches. So I cut strips and sewed them together to create one big piece which I then cut in the shape of a vest using as a pattern an old vest that I already had.
DSC_0461.JPG DSC_0464.JPG

Next, strips of black pleather were sewn on the front and back of the vest and black pleather piping was used along the edges. Then the buckles were attached, again using a combination of sewing and industrial strength hot glue.
IMG_3227.jpg
When wearing it, it actually wraps around my torso, so snaps were added along the left edge to tie it together.
IMG_3226.jpg
This same black elastic was used for the band around the upper arms and the triangle cut-outs on the top and pants.

The Lock and Chain
In the movie Alice uses a variety of weapons throughout her zombie killing spree, but for my costume, I went with the lock and chain she stole off of a bicycle while in the Tokyo Environment. Wearing costumes all day (and night) can be taxing enough on a person, so I didn’t want to be burdened with carrying a heavy lock and chain. For mine, I used a plastic chain which was much lighter and easier to carry. The lock portion was constructed out of a round cardboard box and some plastic tubing.
DSC_0463.JPG DSC_0462.JPG IMG_3151.jpg

The chain and the lock were then painted with metallic silver paint. Hook and loop Velcro were then attached to the lid and box to hold them together.
IMG_3211.jpg

A picture of a lock face was glued onto the front of the box, along with a lid from a soda pop bottle which was painted black.
IMG_3203.jpg IMG_3205.jpg IMG_3207.jpg

Although small, the box was perfect for carrying my “stuff” in – cash, a mini lip liner, mini lipstick, face powder, and a small face brush.

Here are a few pictures of me wearing the costume at DragonCon in Atlanta.
0051.jpg DSC_0725.JPG DSC_0689.JPG DSC_0626.JPG

And, of course, my proof picture.
DSC_0026.JPG

From start to finish, this costume took me just over two months to complete and would have taken even longer without the assistance and advice from my husband.

Last edited:
Great job Kity. I was just watching this the other day thinking it would be cool to pull off. Very nice work fabricating of the buckles.

Thanks for providing this, i want to put this together as part of a display for each costume from each film and this will help a long way in completing my own

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back