Kit scan sticky discussion thread

jedimaster

Sr Member
Ok guy's posting this here as I don't want people posting "great idea" / stoopid suggestion whatever in the actual thread. On Sunday I will be startin off with scans of the 1/15 Hummel and stug. Then followed by all my other kits. Already had some positive feedback with willing to do the same.

We have an x-wing sticky and hopefully as of next week a Kit Scan one.

Please post opinions/ suggestions here as I would like to keep the kit thread clear and just for scans.

Thanks...
Simon.

Last edited:
Re: Kit scan sticky

Just to be clear, this'd be similar to what was done at studioscale? Think it's good idea to have a second one here; though we got a good number over at SS (and really Jay, Dean, and Maths were the heavy lifters), it's easily a venture that can wane if only a few folks are putting the time in (I only got a few in over there and that's a sad ratio of kits owned to scanned and posted).

With the number of folks who come by here, this could grow to be quite a resource (fingers crossed) And: this comes up from time to time... remember to scan both sides of the sprues! and try to have dims or a ruler (metric) in the scan, please! :)

Oh, sorry...: 'Great idea!'

Good point. This isn't to detract from or compete with the studioscale ones. Just a reference tool here as well. Hopefully we can get into the habit of scanning/photographing a kit when it arrives and posting it here before we start pulling everything off the sprues.

As well as being another online reference, you can just drag the pix into a desktop folder and they are yours to keep......what a concept!

If I could also add. The guy's who are building the 5ft falcon are currently buying a bazillion kits for the project. It would be appreciated if you could scan or take a pic of the kit when it arrives, preferably on a cutting mat or as mentioned above with a rule. That would be Grand.

Last edited:

Nice move Simon. There are so many donors not on Studioscale that it would prove a good alliance with that site too.
New kits are always being found,as well as the familiar furniture, this is a great idea to get them out there for other budding ID'ers.

Lee

I'd be more than happy to post what I've posted at Studioscale here as well as my post at RI...unless someone else post the kit first.

May I also suggest a found item section which could be for those items used in a studio scale build that don't come from a kit like I'm posting in at Studio Scale.

Studio Scale Forums Thread link

(sorry for the break in your protocol at the other thread)..

This concept has already been put in motion over at studio scale modelers. Not trying to sell the site, just seems odd to start building something that has already been somewhat built (and continues to grow), and in a more organized manner.

There are threads for each of of the 3 OT SW movies.

example:
Kit Donors to SW:ANH

Think the community would gain much more from this exercise if everyone consolidated this info in one place.

Hey mate no worries. That's why I started this thread. Not trying to compete with the other sites at all. I just think there's enough room to post here as well. I am a member at Ss, Ssm and Ri but I spend most of my time here. I PM'd a few folks here with the idea before starting this thread and got a positive response. Also a lot of props are covered in kit part/greeblies so it's not just for the Ss community.

Look at the end of the day it's here and if you want to use it you can. I will be loading about 2 kits a day and new ones as I get them. Thanks to everyone who has posted kits/links so far and I look forward to seeing more.

Simon.

Hey mate no worries. That's why I started this thread. Not trying to compete with the other sites at all. I just think there's enough room to post here as well. I am a member at Ss, Ssm and Ri but I spend most of my time here. I PM'd a few folks here with the idea before starting this thread and got a positive response. Also a lot of props are covered in kit part/greeblies so it's not just for the Ss community.

Look at the end of the day it's here and if you want to use it you can. I will be loading about 2 kits a day and new ones as I get them. Thanks to everyone who has posted kits/links so far and I look forward to seeing more.

Simon.

cool i suppose..
was hoping it wasn't a "this site" vs. "that site" thing.

initially i could see your point about props being covered, but the thread i started really isn't exclusive to SS, ...or even props or costuming for that matter. its specific to what donors were available to each FILM. the three threads could be valuable to all the subforums actually. i hope you aren't being literal about the out site's name (ie STUDIO SCALE), since we can't be literal about RPF only featuring work revolving around PROPS.

its likely the engineer in me, trying to make the best organized little machine to accomplish the task (in this case, ID'g donor parts). SSM has the whole forum for kit scans and each manufacturer and scales broken further down. seems intuitive to me...? thats the main reason i started my thread over there.

just feels like a lot of energy is lost (that could be better used) by making multiple threads about, basically, the same subject.

would you be cool with cross referencing threads (since there's no me vs. them stigma)? i'm not familiar with the protocol on this ...and if thats kosher, say with the moderators and all. i'm just brainstorming here.

Isn't studio scale modelers the site started by a scammer? I never joined because of that.

Look to be honest I don't see this as My Thread. I'd be just as happy if someone else started it. But sure I don't mind sharing these scans for cross referencing bit I don't want it to jeopardize anything done here. For example if Jason doesn't want his pix shared with Ssm and for good reason then I wouldn't want that to happen. So in that case no. It's not about us and them it's about sharing kit scans for the greater good of the community. I'm posting mine here.... Help yourselves.

Simon.

cool i suppose..
was hoping it wasn't a "this site" vs. "that site" thing.

initially i could see your point about props being covered, but the thread i started really isn't exclusive to SS, ...or even props or costuming for that matter. its specific to what donors were available to each FILM. the three threads could be valuable to all the subforums actually. i hope you aren't being literal about the out site's name (ie STUDIO SCALE), since we can't be literal about RPF only featuring work revolving around PROPS.

its likely the engineer in me, trying to make the best organized little machine to accomplish the task (in this case, ID'g donor parts). SSM has the whole forum for kit scans and each manufacturer and scales broken further down. seems intuitive to me...? thats the main reason i started my thread over there.

just feels like a lot of energy is lost (that could be better used) by making multiple threads about, basically, the same subject.

would you be cool with cross referencing threads (since there's no me vs. them stigma)? i'm not familiar with the protocol on this ...and if thats kosher, say with the moderators and all. i'm just brainstorming here.

If I can also add this won't be a list of which parts were used on which prop or kit lists for a particular model. Just Kit Scans for reference. That's all.

Simon.

I don't care who sees the pics - I just don't like belonging to a million sub-boards.... is this studio scale board worth it?

I think it's actually closed to new members anyway so probably no. I get most of my stuff from here and Jasons site. That's not a ***** , just this is where I choose to get my info. Plus I can watch my favorite movies in the OT while I'm waiting for the glue to dry.

Isn't studio scale modelers the site started by a scammer? I never joined because of that.

yeah, i heard that way late in the game.
but he's out and is under new (and familiar) leadership.
totally different game -- different focus, different organization, different material, from what i can see.

I think it's actually closed to new members anyway so probably no. I get most of my stuff from here and Jasons site. That's not a ***** , just this is where I choose to get my info. Plus I can watch my favorite movies in the OT while I'm waiting for the glue to dry.

i believe (not 100% certain) that its not a "gated community" anymore..? totally open from what i remember reading.

sorry..
i'm rambling guys. like you said ...i don't see the 3 threads i started as "my" threads either. lot of other ppl have contributed way more than me in them...i'm merely a librarian to the threads.

i tip my hat to you simon... and hope to see the kit scan thread blossom (no sarcasm here). i'll be honest -- i'll def'ly be taking advantage of it.

when you mentioned you were a member of "SSM" i assumed studio scale modeler, but assume you mean starship modeler? i would recommend you drop by and try out the former and check the thread. its kinda nice, imo..lol

Jason, you already have an account (I assume the account "Roboterkamf" is yours), you even posted a thread in which you said "you finally realized it's was not Tait's board". :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back