Kit of the USS Daedalus NCC-129?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
In order to pay for the molding materials to finish the big Enterprise I was think of doing a 1/350 Daedalus. I can produce it quite quickly and once again have the help of Doug Drexler.

My wife has been taken with cancer again and we face a long road ahead of surgery and chemo. Since my insurance has expired I'm having to foot much of the bill for now and it took out my funds for the Big E. Medic Cal will kick in to help soon but in the mean time...

So who would have an interest? This will be based on the Greg Gein model.

Steve

Last edited:
I would defiantly be interested if it doesn't cost too much, It has always been one af my favorite designs.

Even though I'm scratch building one (which is on the back-burner right now) I'd probably be interested.

Steve, sent you a PM

Thanks guys.

Feek I got to tell you I saw that shuttle you did. Man what an excellent job. Scale to the 9s. So that might be in the stars down the road too but as you know harder to kit. Just fantastic. Made me drool for sure.

Steve

The more I think about this the more I wonder if I should keep it in scale with the AMT kits? Say 1/650? or a little bit bigger. I'd like to see some input on that. 1/350 is still a big model and still a big price.

This kit will will have a light kit for it available from Voodoo FX once i get it done. Or you can do your own but I want to set a scale before I begin.

Thanks guys,

Steve

Trekman what did you base that off? This is the kind of thing I need to know. Great input.

SSRN Seaview. Boy I've built a few of those. Ah it will take off. I always do what I say I'm going to do. I just hope there's enough interest to warrant it.

Keep them coming guys.

thanks,

Steve

I don't know about you Steve, but the older I get, the bigger models I prefer.

I'm just not as good at handling the small pieces as I used to be.

a 350 at 15+ inches is right in the ballpark

Thank you Trekman.

Aztec. You're right. Even 15 inches is a bit on the small size for me but fits my lathe well. It would look nice along the 1/350 refit and just big enough for Bussard motors to fit. I think at 8 inches that's a no.

and yes it would be nice to have it fit to the old 18 inch Enterprise but it's just too small me thinks.

Steve

That is one in depth site on ships. You could make a living just basing kits off the unused designs from the shows. As for sizes I always liked the bigger starship kits that way you can do details better and not get eye strain trying to paint small details.

I'm not sure what scale a 22 inch model would make her but it would be the perfect size. Not too big and not to small. Plenty of room for good lighting and rotating Bussards.

What do you guys think?

Steve

Sorry to hear about your wife.

Why not make exactly the same size as Greg's model? I don't know what that scale would work out to, but who cares? It would be a model of a model...

Horizon_Deadalus model.jpg

That way, you can use the readily-available (and cheap)1/144 shuttle components and other kits and it would be an EXACT replica scale-wise. That would save you quite a bit of time scratch-building the masters and there are lots of tiny details on the shuttle boosters that you might miss otherwise.

I believe that model was seen on a desk in DS 9, IIRC. It looks to be in the 15- to 18-inch range. I haven't scaled the SRBs yet.

Greg offered me castings years ago, but never got around to it. I was JUST ABOUT to start doing a scratch-build myself.

I will commit to buying two kits and place a deposit when you say "go".

There ya go.

Specifically the Revell 1/144 Space shuttle appears to be an exact match (for the nacelles) to GJ's version. That would make the model about 16" long.

You can pick up the Revell kit on ebay for about 20 or 30 bucks.

Yah! What THEY said!

So what do we think the neck, ball, and body tube were?

I have some decent ref pics if anyone needs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back