King Kong Armature - Looking for Dimensions

JoeCS

I was wondering if anyone knows the height of the original King Kong armature (that is Bob Burns's, Peter Jackson's, or the Sideshow armature). I know 18" gets tossed around a lot, but I'm not sure if they're measuring Kong while leaning forward as he naturally does, or if they're measuring him with his back and legs completely straight. I'd like to find out his height when his back and legs are straightened out, as that would be useful information for anyone looking to make a Kong in the same scale as the original puppet, regardless if it uses an accurate armature.

I've been thinking about making a display of Kong, where his armature will just be wire and the parts where his skin is showing (head, hands, chest, feet) will be sculpted in clay, molded, and cast in resin. It wouldn't really be able to move around, but at least it'd last longer than a puppet with rubber skin.

Thanks!

I used to have a treasure trove of King Kong documents, including a letter signed by Cooper and exact measurements of Kong armature.
Ill try looking for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/KingKongDiagram.jpg

not sure how valid /accurate it is
its not bob burns kong but the one before it---that PJ has now. It is the taller kong.
When I get to re-adjusting my sideshow kong's pose--I will take a measurement of a part that can be referenced to that.

Yeah, I found that picture and am under the impression that PJ's Kong is around 22" (who knows how accurate that number is though). The sideshow armature is definitely the best thing to get an accurate measurement from.

IMG_1028.jpgIMG_1027.jpg
Metal to Metal is about 19.5 inches.

I am glad it will help you.
I am hoping to take my "blueprint" & compare it to the taller one blueprint from Christies.. The only similarity seem to be the spine hinges. That will be my size point of reference.

On a side note---taking the kong out from under the glass--turned out to be necessary because some of his fingers slid off. I have to devise a way to support him from wires above to take the strain off the back.As soon as I lifted the base---his slouch collapsed.

I am glad it will help you.
I am hoping to take my "blueprint" & compare it to the taller one blueprint from Christies.. The only similarity seem to be the spine hinges. That will be my size point of reference.

On a side note---taking the kong out from under the glass--turned out to be necessary because some of his fingers slid off. I have to devise a way to support him from wires above to take the strain off the back.As soon as I lifted the base---his slouch collapsed.

You could maybe make a stand which supports the armature from under the armpits. That would at least solve the problem of the back.

And to compare the two Kongs, I made this little graphic:

Two Kongs.jpg

I made the graphic based on some blueprints I made on paper for both armatures. It is by no means perfect, and it also assumes the other Kong is exactly 22" tall, but I think it highlights some of the notable differences between the two, like how the Shortface Kong's wrists hang below his hips.

Hey, I hope it's not too late, but I took some casual pics of Bob's Kong in 2008 – I hope they may be of some use.

Attachments

• DSC00736.JPG
    DSC00736.JPG
    987.2 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC00737.JPG
    DSC00737.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 564
  • DSC00738.JPG
    DSC00738.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 306
  • DSC00740.JPG
    DSC00740.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 297
  • DSC00742.JPG
    DSC00742.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 926
I talked to Bob in-depth in 2003 at the Imagi-Nation Expo in Vegas. Bob told me as he was holding Kong that the armature is closer to 20" tall but no taller than 20".

I talked to Bob in-depth in 2003 at the Imagi-Nation Expo in Vegas. Bob told me as he was holding Kong that the armature is closer to 20" tall but no taller than 20".

I'm shooting for right around that height. I'd love to see the armature in person, I think it's great that Bob takes it everywhere for people to see

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back