Killing a vacation day with a FM Tie fighter

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by dbuck, Dec 9, 2011.

1. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am in the midst of two weeks of vacation time I had to use or lose so I killed one of the days by building the supposed scaled 1/48 TIE fighter. I wasnt shooting for any particular version, just a generic fighter.
    I purchased this photo etched set from Acreation.
    [​IMG]
    I painted it in haze gray and sonofagun if it doesn't look like different colors in different lighting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It turned out reasonably well considering its size. However, I just cannot work decals that fracking small and I really had problems with the size of the Acreations pieces too. So much so I used only exterior pieces and left the cockpit stock. Even this close to it you cannot see much anyway.
    I really need to build only larger models.
    I had pulled out the 1/48 snowspeeder to start today but I don't think I want to build it. I'll find something larger.

2. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Nice work! I'm building the same kit with the acreation pe set. I agree, the pe is just a pain to put on right, to be honest I've started to ask my self if it's even worth it. Nice to see one finished though. It looks great!

Cheers,
    Steve

3. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If I had to do it over again I would have skipped the acreations kit. The model is just too small. I would have just done a bit of sanding on a few of the really innacurrate bits and called it good.
    I have been keeping an eye on your build as well and look forward to its completion.