Kill Bill ***** U shoes

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by joshslayton, Jul 7, 2015.

1. joshslayton

joshslayton Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So we all know that Quentin Tarinteno is a genius and Kill Bill is my second favorite movie of his with Pulp fiction being my first. So when tested came out with a video on how they made there own F**k U shoes I wanted to follow in their foot steps no pun intended.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436307912.631049.jpg

So the first step was getting the shoes and it wasnt that hard to begin with. Asics actually sells a pair that are about 98% accurate and I found a pair on Amazon for 85$. But I couldn't find a pair anywhere that has my size im a size 11" and the only pair that was the right color was a size 14". So these are just going to be for display only which is what I intended it to be. Maybe someday if i find any ill make a new pair in my size.

Anyways when I got the shoes I cut off the soles with an exacto knife and scaled the *F**k u print that I downloaded from tested
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436307834.197001.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436307999.812835.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436307983.495861.jpg

Next was to make a dump mold of the shows but apparently part of the silicone I used didn't cure all the way. Good thing I didnt waist as much silicone as I could have. Im guessing that theres something in the soles that's prohibiting the silicone to cure. Not completely sure why this is happening but next time ill pray the shoes with a matte clear coat and some mold release
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436308313.211503.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436308324.761732.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436308334.626948.jpg

Then I cut out the f**k u letters out of 1/4 sintra. I think that 1/4 is too think but I ccan fix that along the way
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436308383.943819.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436308396.360897.jpg

Thats all for now but stay tuned for more!

Dan Gamble and MattgomeryBurns like this.
  2. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

Ha! I saw the film in theater but I missed that detail.
    Looking forward to seeing this project complete.

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Shame they are for display only! :lol

I still wear mine occasionally with my GOD Tracksuit that I bought in 1978.

4. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've never noticed that on the soles of her shoes. Very cool.

5. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

I need this mod on my casual sneakers for when I'm on public transportation.

joshslayton and cavx like this.
  6. lovelyandy

lovelyandy Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever managed to track down the brand of motorcycle helmet the bride wears? im helmet daft, dont mind having to paint it myself i just want to locate it, and days of internetting haven't helped.

7. joshslayton

Got some progression. Started molding the soles and the F**k u. Then I casted two souls and another set of letters out of fiberglass resin.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436830571.740499.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436830621.820976.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436830635.738144.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436830651.219947.jpg

Theres a little air bubbles that need to be filled and cleaned up but its not bad.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436830662.269118.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436831247.673070.jpg

Apollo and Dan Gamble like this.
  8. JacksColon

JacksColon New Member

9. cavx

I watched the film the other night. It is actually pretty clear as she walks over the glass floor.

Your soles are looking good.

10. joshslayton

Update: well apologies for the few months of silence on this build I had to put this project on hold for a while because I had to finish some commissions. But ive finally got back to this build with determination to finish it!

So what I did so far is I cut the letters out of the cast sole and then made a dump mold. I used mold max 40
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I got some reo flex 40 to cast the soles. This is what frank ippolito used when he made a pair for tested.com so Id thought id give it a try.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The first casting came out as a dud but it was good for a test piece. The second came out better but im still not sure how durable this urethane rubber will be so im going to be testing these out

Heres some close up shots of the soles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anybody has any suggestions or tips id love to hear them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattgomeryBurns likes this.
  11. cavx

Does the polyurethane you are using specify a shore hardness? For a shoe outer sole, ideally around A65 is good. A65 is soft enough to grip and hard enough to give good wear.

It would have been totally awesome if you have been able to keep the tread in between the cutouts of the letters. Very hard to do no doubt.

If I was to do this, I'd cast the letters and sole separately like you have, then trace the letters onto the sole and use a rotary tool to grind down the tread inside the lines rather than cut them out with a knife. The cast letters should then fit in the cutouts, leaving the tread intact right to the edge line. Then mold and cast that.

It is still a very good job, so well done to get it this far. I think an open back mold is fine for flat shoe soles.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  12. joshslayton

Im using a urethane rubber thats 40A hardness to test things out a bit but I think Im gonna get a urethane thats 60A hardness

The plan first was to do what you said but grinding the tread out took longer than expected so I went the lazy route and cut them out instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. cavx

One of the best tools to grind rubber is a ceramic stone bit (not the emery sanding wheels, as they clog up) and I like the bullet tapered stones because you can get into tight corners.