Kid's Thor Helmet, Mjölnir, and Cardboard Iron Man

N7Calibrations

My daughter's neighborhood friend (turning 5) was throwing a Super Hero birthday party, so I thought I would help the kids look the part.

My 3-year old daughter and I have been watching some Super Hero Squad to get ready, and she decided she wanted to dress like Thor because he is soooo funny. If you haven't checked the show out, it's super fun. It's on Netflix streaming and it's really good Avengers-style super heroing for kids with fairly low violence, low mean words, and lots of fun in-jokes from the Marvel-verse.

I really only started working on this stuff on the Saturday night before the Sunday party, so the following was crammed into a couple hours one night and a couple hours the next morning.

***** Total Time: 1.5 hours
Naturally, I had to start out on Thor's mighty Asgardian weapon, Mjölnir.

It started out as a small flat rate shipping box that was built up with cardboard sheets on it's two sides to widen it (picture missing). I also used a sturdy cardboard roll from something...can't remember now. Something we used when I finished up our spare bedroom.
Mjolnir 1 (Medium).JPG

I had some spare sheets of EVA foam from the Mass Effect N7 build I'm procrastinating on, so I stacked up some half inch thick sheets on all sides to soften the blows on any heads this thing hits.
Mjolnir 2 (Medium).JPG

Handle duct-taped and attached. Obviously we're not going for screen-accurate here.
Mjolnir 3 (Medium).JPG

Decorated with some minor silver Sharpie markings for fun.
Mjolnir 5 (Medium).JPG

Ready to go for my kid and seriously large. It's pretty big at 10" of handle and the head is approximately 9" x 6" x 5".
Mjolnir 6 (Medium).JPG

****** Total Time: 1 hour
Next up was a Thor helmet to fit her head. As it turns out those extra bits from the EVA floor mats happen to fit her head perfectly.
Hat 1 (Medium).JPG

I had some spare plastic safari hats that would work as the interior area to wrap everything over. I just removed the brim to get the curve and insulated the interior with a thin layer of craft foam.
Hat 2 (Medium).JPGHat 3 (Medium).JPG

Next up is a SUPER sloppy dome helmet over the top. The first pic is the bottom layer to get a general curve. As it turns out I am not good at eyeballing cuts to make a curved piece in a hurry, but I didn't have too much time to get this whole thing done. The second pic is the back of the helmet which I tried layering like armor; I should have done that across the whole piece.
Hat 4 (Medium).JPGHat 5 (Medium).JPG

Wings were attached and with a basic design drawn on. The helmet had plans to draw on some designs to match the "real" one, but I got distracted...with an Iron Man helmet for her friend. Second pic is a finished interior product.
Hat 6 (Medium).JPGHat 7 (Medium).JPG

Here is where I will insert the final product with the kiddo. The birthday party had a professional photographer for a mom, so there were plenty of pics to be had of the super heroes in training.
**Placeholder**

***** Total time: 2.5 hours
Okay so late on Saturday night, after getting Mjölnir glued together, I decided to see if I could successfully make an Iron Man helmet from cereal boxes and some spare craft foam bits. I used JFcustom's unfold of the Sharkhead7854 Iron Man Helmet as-is since the default seemed to be much smaller than my head (I have a huge head) but larger than my daughter's.

Be kind please since this is my first pep ever...and it's made from Red Baron pizza and Honeycomb cereal boxes.

I didn't snap pictures of me cutting up the cereal boxes because it wasn't too exciting and it was a tad bit late at night. Here is the finished product of snack boxes and tape.
Special note: This stack of craft foam cost me about $2 total since Michael's was clearancing it all out at $0.17 per sheet!
IMG_5113 (Medium).JPG

I had a good amount of scrap pieces laying about, so I glued them into the helmet as reinforcement. You can see the makings of my attaching the front plate to the back plate. I know this isn't normal but this is a kid's helmet, and I wasn't planning on going crazy with extra features. The helmet went so quick that I would honestly be willing to make a tricked-out one with magnets if he gets really excited about Iron Man.
IMG_5115 (Medium).JPGIMG_5118 (Medium).JPGIMG_5119 (Medium).JPG

As you can see with some elastic strips (just in case) the helmet flexes open a decent amount in order to get your head into it, and the stress didn't feel bad at all on the joint. You can't see it too well anywhere but the sort-of wings that come off the top of the helmet to the left and right were not attached to anything, so the stick up a bit. This was done to prevent too much pressure on the top of the helm when being opened.
IMG_5126 (Medium).JPGIMG_5130 (Medium).JPG

The finished product. I completed it right before going over for the party, and rather than painting it I thought he and his moms could choose the colors he wants and finish it themselves.
IMG_5132 (Medium).JPGIMG_5134 (Medium).JPG

I suppose it went over well as one of the kids at the party who was "helping" the birthday boy open gifts stopped in awe for a second and said "It's the real Iron Man helmet..."

Here is where I will insert the final product with the kiddo. The birthday party had a professional photographer for a mom, so there were plenty of pics to be had of the super heroes in training.
**Placeholder**

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back