Khunez Suit

Khunez

So this is my first suit...I wont be buying any pieces, this will be custom from the ground up.

WIP

007.jpg.gif

So here is the start of the hand sculpt.

I did a cast of my hand in tape and then stuffed it with batting.
P1010638.jpg.gif

Plaster strips added to reinforce
P1010646.jpg.gif

Sculpt start
P1010651.jpg.gif

P1010650.jpg.gif

More to come....

Im currently using water based clay. I find it harder to do the more fine detail without messing other parts up. What are you guys using for your sculpts? and what are you using for your mold material?

Im concerned that my hand is going to come out too big. yet, Im 6.5" im lanky so i have area for girth. It should match the girth added to the body suit but im getting nervous. Its turning out to be a sweet hand sculpt.

Awesome man! Welcome to the lair! I can't wait to see your suit come to life!

Also, is your avatar Sagat from street fighter?

Im currently using water based clay. I find it harder to do the more fine detail without messing other parts up. What are you guys using for your sculpts? and what are you using for your mold material?
A lot of people use water based clay to do the sculpts. I haven't so I can't give you any tips. I use a clay called Classic Clay. It's not very popular but it's a good clay. I think the most popular around here is Chavant's NSP medium followed my Kleen Klay. Keeping in mind they all act different but they are all oil based clays. Kleen Klay is one of the cheapest oil clays and I use it mainly for molds now. The oil based clays are harder than the water clays and also allow for sculpting over a long period of time. Which I need.

Im concerned that my hand is going to come out too big. yet, Im 6.5" im lanky so i have area for girth. It should match the girth added to the body suit but im getting nervous. Its turning out to be a sweet hand sculpt.
The latex will shrink after it's cast. Expect up to 10%. I've gone through a trial and error when figuring out how to compensate for shrinkage in the sculpt. You'll just have to do it and get a feel for it. I think err on the side of too big is better then too small. You think about it, you have the shrinkage plus the thickness of the latex.

Molds for latex are mostly made out of Ultracal 30. I use a Hydrocal (FGR 95) because of availability. They act very different so for the beginner get the Ultracal 30. Do a search for Gypsum dealers in your area to find it local, shipping’s a bitch. There is a link here somewhere that has a US map with dealers. A 50 pound bag will do you right. It's the best value and you'll be able to practice.

Hope this helps.

A lot of people use water based clay to do the sculpts. I haven't so I can't give you any tips. I use a clay called Classic Clay. It's not very popular but it's a good clay. I think the most popular around here is Chavant's NSP medium followed my Kleen Klay. Keeping in mind they all act different but they are all oil based clays. Kleen Klay is one of the cheapest oil clays and I use it mainly for molds now. The oil based clays are harder than the water clays and also allow for sculpting over a long period of time. Which I need.

The latex will shrink after it's cast. Expect up to 10%. I've gone through a trial and error when figuring out how to compensate for shrinkage in the sculpt. You'll just have to do it and get a feel for it. I think err on the side of too big is better then too small. You think about it, you have the shrinkage plus the thickness of the latex.

Molds for latex are mostly made out of Ultracal 30. I use a Hydrocal (FGR 95) because of availability. They act very different so for the beginner get the Ultracal 30. Do a search for Gypsum dealers in your area to find it local, shipping’s a bitch. There is a link here somewhere that has a US map with dealers. A 50 pound bag will do you right. It's the best value and you'll be able to practice.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! Very helpful. Now Ive got some stuff to research!

Awesome man!!!! The sculpt is coming out awesome. Very bulky looking. I have a feeling your predator is gonna be BUFF!

Did you use zbrush or mud to scuplt that sagat head? I do 3D work too!

Awesome man!!!! The sculpt is coming out awesome. Very bulky looking. I have a feeling your predator is gonna be BUFF!

Did you use zbrush or mud to scuplt that sagat head? I do 3D work too!

I used z-brush. just got 4.0 today...so much better!

Dude the way of the look of these hands. OMg cant wait to see how this monsterish pred going to look.....

Well like i said i have ample length with no girth so by adding girth i should have more than the original P1 suit. I should be around 7.2 or 7.4 with the whole thing on. Should look proportionate i think.

So I'm going to go ahead and cast this hand and see how it comes out. Make sure im on the right track. I need the experience of making a mold and seeing how it comes out size wise.

Well lets see.

1 i let the hand dry out to prep for cast and....it just splintered and cracked into several pieces. not fixable. I think because it had an armature under it that wasn't solid it cracked. If anyone knows my error please let me know. never had cla crack on me like that air drying.
2 I picked up some different clay so that should go better. Also ordered all my latex and stuff for life casting. i picked up locally 200 ibs of ultra cal 30 for 45 bucks!

does anyone know if i stuff a tape suit real good if i can make an ultra cal cast out of it? In theory it sounds like it could work so i can get a solid positive from it. Would save me $$ on materials to cast myself.

Anybody know why my clay cracked and pretty much exploded air drying? Never seen clay do this. It was on a plaster mold of my hand which was taken using the duct tape method.

Getting ready to start again. but i haven't learned what my last mistake was. was it because its waterbased clay. I picked up some chavant hard sculpting clay. So i don't know if that was the problem.

well any time i have let wed clay dry out, it cracks on me. i think when sculpting with it you are only supposed to let it dry to a leather-y consistancy and then mold.
i think you are probably right on about it drying fast like that because of the armature. since is was not solid clay.

i can't reccomend oil clay enough. seem like less problems and worry about time.

well any time i have let wed clay dry out, it cracks on me. i think when sculpting with it you are only supposed to let it dry to a leather-y consistancy and then mold.
i think you are probably right on about it drying fast like that because of the armature. since is was not solid clay.

i can't reccomend oil clay enough. seem like less problems and worry about time.
so with the oil clay...it never dries? you caste of the wet(yet hard) sculpt?

Yea when i was doing solid clay sculpts it never cracked like that. I know that if there are any air pickets it will explode when heated in a kiln. But i didnt think air drying would do what it did.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back