Key to Hamunaptra <> 3.1 - WIP

I ended up needing to file down a few sides of pieces for it to open smoothly, but here it is! I also might have advertised to a few on where to get this gem of a prop!

Also, what are those springs called and where can I get a few more? The one on the main piece is somewhat weak and I used the extras you sent. (thanks for sending extras!) Thanks!

Last edited:
Ah. Yikes. Umm....I ordered them in 2016. I'll have to find out what they're called and the exact specifications.

---------UPDATE---------

Adamata is doing the book of the dead, so, I am going to make my own circle piece that represents the lock and offer the lock and key as an option. I will need to scale my key to fit his book.

I was also motivated to do some more work on my key, and have fixed the flaps so they now stop at the 90 degree point for fitting in the lock.

Last edited:
---------UPDATE---------

Adamata is doing the book of the dead, so, I am going to make my own circle piece that represents the lock and offer the lock and key as an option. I will need to scale my key to fit his book.

I was also motivated to do some more work on my key, and have fixed the flaps so they now stop at the 90 degree point for fitting in the lock.

Hey! I’m new to the the forum but I just had to sign up to ask you about the latest model of the key. How long do you think it will take to update? The link you provided earlier in the thread to purchase the key is broken, and shapeways says it no longer exists.

Are you planning on offering the latest model? I would absolutely love to buy one.

My girlfriend and I’s favorite movie of all time is The Mummy, and we watched it on our first date. I’ve been thinking about proposing, and I think if I could use the key as the ring box that would brilliant.

Anyway, if you could let me know about the key going back on sale that would be great. Thanks so much!

It has been mostly redesigned. I should be able to print a prototype on my home printer SOON. If all goes well on the prototype, I'll put up an interest thread. The redesign does not fit the book of the dead, currently. But at a later date, I may offer a replacement piece for the "lock" circle of the book of the dead that will fit my key.

The new key should also have more fluid hinges for easier opening.

The anticipated run in the near future will be for the fully functional key, 3D printed and assembled. I plan to do a bronze-ish filament so that the key will not necessarily need to be painted, but will look decent as is without paint.

Last edited:
I have discontinued the link through Shapeways in order to offer the key direct, here. The price will be somewhat lower, since I am printing it myself.

I do have a dual nozzle 3d printer. But currently the second nozzle is not being used as it is not set up in the software.

When I was printing with Shapeways, the hollow part inside each flap was not a problem, as they just sent me the hollow pieces. Printing it myself, I am trying to figure out if I can get my printer to use the second nozzle to use dissolvable filament to print the pieces. When I get this figured out, I'll start printing.

I am also considering the possibility of making a Fully Functional Book of the Dead to go with my Fully Functional Key.
If possible, the book would allow the 3.0 key to fit in the lock, and the lock would turn, and the hinges on the right would pop open.
It took me a long time to make a functional key, but that puts me ahead for making a 3D printable Fully Functional Book.

What kind of printer and filament are you using? I have a makerbot 2X which prints in ABS and supports dual extrusion and still often have trouble with it. I've found it challenging both in getting the nozzles at exactly the same height, as well as the behaviors of the dissolvable filaments. They often tend to peel, or dissolving them away significantly weakens the part. I have seen more promising results with PLA and its associated dissolving filament, though I've never gotten PLA working consistently on my printer. I have found commercial grade systems with dissolving support used tougher support and harsher chemicals to get a better finish, though I do like shapeways a lot since their sintered powders tend to produce nicer finishes than my desktop FDM system. All this is also to say that I've had the best luck printing holes under-sized then drilling them out on my drill-press to produce functional printed parts from my printer. Not sure if any of that is helpful to what you are doing, and you may already know it all, but I figured I'd offer it in case it's useful.

Flashforge Creator Pro. I use exclusively PLA.
Back to school is now over, so I have more time this coming week to work on my printer. First, I'll be aligning the 2 extruder heights. Then setting up my program for dual extruders. Then printing a single flap with PLA and the dissolvable filament. If it turns out good, I'll print the whole key.

If it doesn't turn out good, I'll have to figure out Plan B.

I found my old dissolvable filament I bought long ago, and didn't realize I had bought HIPS (which is for ABS)
I don't have any PVA for PLA. I might try and adjust the models to eliminate some of the need for supports.

Okay, I reworked the design and orientation, and I got a test print with hollow spaces in the flap, and it came out good.

I'll be trying to print a key this week. Due to the number of pieces, it will likely be a bit at a time.

Okay, I've noticed a certain lack of precision in printing the "posts" of each flap where it goes into the hinge to rotate. The hinge requires precision to turn properly. So, to solve this, I have bought very small brass bar stock and am making the flap with a hole in it, so the brass pin can go through the flap and fit the hinge so that it will turn freely.
I will test this this coming week.

Any chance of updates for the key 3.0? Or a ball park price range they’ll be offered at? I’ve been looking for one that’s somewhat affordable forever, and was hoping this would be it. I’ve found one on Etsy but it’s almost $300. However, I was planning on proposing at Comic Con, because Brendan Fraser will be there and we are dressing up as Rick and Evie, but that is at the end of April, so I’m kind of on a time crunch.

Anyway, updates greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance of updates for the key 3.0? Or a ball park price range they’ll be offered at? I’ve been looking for one that’s somewhat affordable forever, and was hoping this would be it. I’ve found one on Etsy but it’s almost $300. However, I was planning on proposing at Comic Con, because Brendan Fraser will be there and we are dressing up as Rick and Evie, but that is at the end of April, so I’m kind of on a time crunch.

Anyway, updates greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Okay, glad to hear back from you. And a time line will help me focus on this. I would say about half the Etsy price. I have to do the Tarasov Industry cards, and then print this with the new brass rod posts. I'll have that in February. If it turns out well, or only needs minor changes, then it'll be right after that, that I can send you one.

Sorry to disturbing with this mid-off subject but i'm just looking for the Hamunaptra hieroglyphs in th best quality I can find. Do you guys have an idea ?
Thanks !

(nice work btw)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back