Key to Hamunaptra <> 3.1 - WIP

Re: Key to Hamunaptra <> Work in Progress

The key is done. It goes live for sale on Wednesday. 3/22/17

:cool

Last edited:
Re: Key to Hamunaptra <> Work in Progress

Here it is. Fully Functional !!! Sorry for the quality of the video, I needed both hands to demonstrate the key. ;)

Yes, it is indeed available from Shapeways.
It will be NON-painted, PM me here after you order and I will send you the spring kit.

Here is the sales thread :

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=274874

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a cool and clever little prop :D I;d love to see how the mechanism works.

Hmmm....it took me a considerable amount of time to come up with a mechanism that could be 3D printed.

The only non printed parts are the springs !!

If I get even ONE person ordering this, then at some point, I'll have to post a video on assembly. Till then, I'm keeping my secret. ;)

Hmmm....it took me a considerable amount of time to come up with a mechanism that could be 3D printed.

The only non printed parts are the springs !!

If I get even ONE person ordering this, then at some point, I'll have to post a video on assembly. Till then, I'm keeping my secret. ;)

I see what you did, definitely an interesting solution. Well done, this is on my list as a personal project. Hadn't thought to do it the way you did, but it works :)

Ah...if it's on Shapeways, I guess you could get a view of how it works. So much for that secret. :D

If you didn't see the rotating 3D view of the object on Shapeways.....then I'm more impressed if you figured it out. :p

Perhaps you missed the ;)

I was trying not to say how I figured it out. I think maybe your lock peg should be a bit thicker though. It looks like the key points are about to push open.

Otherwise it's a great design, well done.

I was trying not to say how I figured it out. I think maybe your lock peg should be a bit thicker though. It looks like the key points are about to push open.

It was a trade off. The lock slides into place easily and stays locked. If I made the hole more tight fitting, then it would be harder to slide the lock into place.

Excellent! I've been waiting for someone to come up with a working version. Nicely done! :) I just have a few questions... Is it easy enough to put together? And any recommendations for paint? Can't wait to get my hands on one of these!

Excellent! I've been waiting for someone to come up with a working version. Nicely done! :) I just have a few questions... Is it easy enough to put together? And any recommendations for paint? Can't wait to get my hands on one of these!

I'm in the process of adding the assembly video to the sell thread. That was one of my goals, that the average person could assemble this themselves.

I used "Rub n buff" straight on the key without any sanding at all. If you want the surface SUPER smooth, you can do some sanding first.

I used black paint made for plastic on the hieroglyphs before adding the rub n buff. I have a second key, and am going to use liquid leaf brass edition on that key. I will post pics to the sell thread when I am done.

After thinking about it, I realize many people have their own 3D printers. If you purchase the key, I can send the file for the "Master Flap" to you by email.

You can play with it to get a tighter fit if that is desired. There is a hole in the flap that the top of the lock goes into. Simply reduce the size of the hole to get a tighter fit.

I think maybe your lock peg should be a bit thicker though. It looks like the key points are about to push open.

jaded monk key.jpg
For comparison, I grabbed a screen cap of Jaded Monk's original design. You can see that his FLAPS are also not flat. They are raised a bit. I think this is just how it needs to be.

View attachment 716293
For comparison, I grabbed a screen cap of Jaded Monk's original design. You can see that his FLAPS are also not flat. They are raised a bit. I think this is just how it needs to be.

I see, hmm. Well I've been working on one for myself (Not to sell). I'm happy to see your project got finished, and thanks for the idea on the lock. I'm still not entirely sure how I'll tackle it.

The assembly video has been added to the sell thread.

I pieced it out. It would be around $2500 to 3D print in BRASS.

:lol

Also, I'm going to try a tighter fit master flap to see if it helps.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back