Key to Hamunaptra <> 3.1 - WIP

Re: Key to Hamunaptra ----- FINISHED

IMG_0313.JPG________________IMG_0317.JPG

Here's the unpainted base and painted flaps.

Here it is assembled and painted. I really wanted a Jaded Monk key, but they're not
available. At least this one opens manually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Very nice work. I have been toying with the idea of trying for a functional version, but the mechanism proved quite tricky. The resolution is quite good as well. From what can see of the hinges, it looks like they just slip in. Do they fall out if jarred too much?

Again, very nice.

Very nice work. I have been toying with the idea of trying for a functional version, but the mechanism proved quite tricky. The resolution is quite good as well. From what can see of the hinges, it looks like they just slip in. Do they fall out if jarred too much?

Again, very nice.

Yes, the hinges were the key to getting a working model. They're a little snug getting them in, but the plastic is just flexible enough to get them in without them coming out again. There is a tiny ridge above and below the pin in the hinge that keeps the pin from coming back out.

I had to order the papyrus from Germany. I couldn't even read their eBay listing. Just that it said papyrus and the price. :)

Yeah it's a really cool but complex piece. I loved all the prop work in that film, and the film itself is one of my favorites. :)

All my 3D items are on Shapeways. As such, Shapeways gets most of the money.
Search word : Hamunaptra

Would you consider making a functional version?

I read Jaded monks description of how to do it. I couldn't follow it...needed more diagrams maybe.

If someone could fill in the blanks for me enough...maybe I could do it.

I'll give it a shot, where is his description?

I read Jaded monks description of how to do it. I couldn't follow it...needed more diagrams maybe.

If someone could fill in the blanks for me enough...maybe I could do it.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=57383&highlight=hamunaptra

This is the thread. There's a partial list of parts...but then he says the other part is difficult, but doesn't show the difficult part.

--edit---

I just looked at it again. There's just too many small pieces that I really don't have a way to manufacture.

I may look into a more functional design than my current one but is less elegant than Jaded Monks.

Last edited:
Re: Key to Hamunaptra <> Work in Progress

I'm heading in a new direction with having a FUNCTIONAL key. Not sure if it'll pan out or not.
My goal is not to replicate Jaded Monk's design, but instead, to make a simpler design that the average person can assemble themselves and perform their own minor repairs if necessary.

Re: Key to Hamunaptra <> Work in Progress

I will have the pics of the new model soon.

Here's what I wanted :

1. Totally 3D printable except for springs.
2. Can be assembled by the average person.
3. Functions like in the movie.
4. A kit that can be purchased at Shapeways.
5. A person can repair the key themselves.

One piece has to be 3D printed in metal (the $10 locking mechanism)
Other than that, I achieved all my goals.

These will be non painted but will already be polished, so little prep is needed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back