Key from Return to Oz

juno

Sr Member
Here's how the original looked (I don't believe this is screen-used, but I believe it's from the same molds):

2224460719_401210ffb3_d.jpg

Here was my initial concept (with an awesome crystal display base).
2244693551_e47bbf8d23_d.jpg

I uploaded my key model to Shapeways, and here's the $10 black detail version. All it needs is a spray of gold paint:

4988712566_df4b21d862_d.jpg

Here's the stainless steel gold-plated glossy:
5020387971_80963d1e65_o_d.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out. The pitting and softness that the plating add just make it look older. You can view the model in 3D or print it out here:
Oz key by curiousgoods on Shapeways

I highly recommend the Shapeways service. The whole process was easy.

I picked the gold-plated glossy. That's the metal. You can do stainless steel, gold-plated matte or gold-plated glossy. I think that's the only metal they offer currently. I would love to see pics or hear about other folks' Shapeways experiences.

2244693551_e47bbf8d23_d.jpg

Hi, just to be clear, this is a CGI model, right?

I own one of those "Crew keys" sold on Ebay. TBH, they are ok. Not too accurate, for the money:

l_0711db24f0e44b10a622716ced49d0bb.jpg

Last year, I visited the Disney archives and saw the actual screen-used key, which puts the Crew keys to shame:

lapro16.jpg

For more pics:

Props I saw in LA and Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, Ca. - Henshin Vault's MySpace Blog |

If there was a shop that wanted to make a brass run of these, like the ones doing C-3PO parts, I would, gladly, dispense my knowledge on the Key subject. The shapeway one seems nice, but it could be better. I, really, like this movie, as you can tell.

Last edited:
Very nice! I've been looking at Shapeways for a while now but never had anything to make. Glad to hear it met your expectations!

Boy did I get excited when I saw this thread!
Great work on that CG model you did - such a great little prop from one of my all-time favorate movies!!
This would be a GREAT item to offer a run of....:love
Still waiting for someone to do a full size Tic-Toc:)

Great movie, I thought I was the only fan! I would have gone just a smidge thicker with it but its still a very sharp looking key. Kudos to you!

Here's how the original looked (I don't believe this is screen-used, but I believe it's from the same molds):

I uploaded my key model to Shapeways, and here's the $10 black detail version. All it needs is a spray of gold paint:

Here's the stainless steel gold-plated glossy:

I'm really happy with how it turned out. The pitting and softness that the plating add just make it look older. You can view the model in 3D or print it out here:
Oz key by curiousgoods on Shapeways

I highly recommend the Shapeways service. The whole process was easy.

WoW! That is an awesome looking key!!

So, forgive my ignorance, can we order one from that link--I'm assuming since the prices are on there?? And it will be a key like you pictured, if we order the gold plated glossy?
I've been wanting one of these for years, but was never very excited about the ones they sold on eBay.......

[Emerald not included.]:cry:cry

Shylaah

Was there a size difference in length between the archives key and the crew gift key? I based my model on the crew gift key as I didn't know there was another key.

one of the model makers of the film...his grandson made copies of the screen-used key and sold them on ebay awhile back...He made copies of the Lion gate statue and sold several as well....

Whoever runs disneysreturntooz.com has pics up of an OZ key with claims that it is a screen used from the scene where Dorothy escapes from the wheelers. Click here

Shylaah

Was there a size difference in length between the archives key and the crew gift key? I based my model on the crew gift key as I didn't know there was another key.

one of the model makers of the film...his grandson made copies of the screen-used key and sold them on ebay awhile back...He made copies of the Lion gate statue and sold several as well....

As I've said before, the screen-used key puts the ebay "Crew key" to shame. I know because I own one of these crew keys, and I've researched the movie key for the last 10 years.

For starters, the Crew key were metal cast, and not so well. Looks like the mold halves were not lined-up properly. The shaft isn't properly round, but oval. The details are soft and the key, as a whole, isn't as thick as the archive key. Also, the gold finish has got pin-holes all over, which takes away from the presentation.

Having said that, basing any replica on the Crew key is doing what you can with what you have, but there is information missing that you need to complete. Seems like Shapeway's effort made the details even softer, and the gold finish is hella full or fish-eyes/pin-holes. This is why I believe polished brass is the way to go.

I can't really tell, from the finale parade in the movie, but I think the gold key, hanging from Belina's neck, has got 3 tiny diamonds on the Z shaft of the key.

I've chatted with the owner of DisneyReturntoOz.com. In fact, I've sold him a prop made by me (Not Oz related). He owns some really cool RTO stuff and has the most knowledge on the film, yet he has benefited from my trip to the Archives. Finally, I got to read the whole label in the Powder of life can prop.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back