Kenobi TV series Darth Vader armor and helmet

One thing I like about the damage sustained to this perfectly symmetrical helmet in this OWK battle, is it can be used to explain the asymmetrical look of it in ANH. One of the cheeks and one eye socket are both completely gone, which can explain why when he has it repaired/rebuilt it looks like it does in ANH. If you want it to. I like that.

You could interpret it that way but as Vader meets with the holographic Emperor after the duel Vader has the same helmet on. So the replacement is a duplicate. The frame of the scene is flipped for the majority until the end.

Also in Rebels when Ahsoka cut's the other half the same can apply.
and his helmet is asymmetrical in rogue one perhaps after rebels is when he made the asymmetrical repair

In the star wars OT Visual dictionary it says that the helmet keeps his damaged skull in shape so thats another way the helmet still has some importance.

You must only look how long he lived on Mustafar after Obi Wan destroyed him and later how long he spokes to Luke after he removed the mask.
He can live without the mask but its not good for him and makes him weaker.

You must only look how long he lived on Mustafar after Obi Wan destroyed him and later how long he spokes to Luke after he removed the mask.
He can live without the mask but its not good for him and makes him weaker.
People make the asthmatic jokes all the time about Vader, but to a level they're true. The mask is constantly feeding Vader a mixed air supply that his damaged lungs can process. It's almost like the worlds most severe asthmatic in a way where without that constant feed of air, Vader's lungs begin freezing up, and while he can breath, it's extremely labored and basically something he has to focus on doing. He's not going to function well without that air supply, and I suspect if he were to go too long without, he would die.

Is it inconsistent with the suiting up scene in ROTS? Like you said, I think that scene should have been different. If Vader needs the helmet and life support equipment to survive, getting those parts on should have been done immediately in ROTS. I thought that scene should have had a basic set of life support related items only. The rest of the decorative parts of the suit could be added after preventing him from dying. Show the basic life support version in the first scene and the full version in the Star Destroyer scene. I can understand they wanted to have him suited up in the iconic look, but I don't think it made sense unless the Emperor knew exactly what would happen and had all of the items made before the fight with Obi Wan took place.

Lucas himself established that the helmet isn't as critical as was stated in ROTJ. A possible explanation for ROTJ is he was more vulnerable because of the damage he took from the Emperor's lightning.

Exactly: In ROTS, we should have seen Vader with his faceplate but no dome. Artificial arms and legs, but without the gloves/boots/shin guards. And in my best Edna Mode voice: "No Capes!"

Last edited:
I still think the ROTS suit should've been like that early MacQuarrie painting. Let it evolve in a way that would be obvious to everyone, not just us fine detail prop/costume nerds. :)

Exactly: In ROTS, we should have seen Vader with his faceplate but no dome. Artificial arms and legs, but without the gloves./boots/shin guards. And in my best Edna Mode voice: "No Capes!"
I find this idea interesting but I don't understand why y'all would want him to walk around incomplete, is it because Anakin was an engineer and you think he should have sourced his own parts?

I think the best way would have been to start with the ROTS armor and a better musclesuit.And after the final fight with Obi Wan Vader must repair is damaged armor to the ANH-Style.That would explain why the Armor looks so different between the trilogys.But they missed that.Now you have a Vader with Fanservice (because the most Fans hates the ROTS suit) that has nothing to do with the timeline.Its cool...but you can see that they had no really Vaderexpert on set.

Perhaps we will get a "Vader Origins" TV show one day that explains the different armors one day.;)
Realistically (yeah, I know) the second most powerful person in the galaxy could have a different life support/armor suit daily. My point being the tech support crew would constantly be incorporating new things into the suit. I’m sure they would have an unlimited budget.

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 12.12.15 PM.png

Just a cool screenshot from the Star Wars website. Zoomed out to make the video widget smaller.

I find this idea interesting but I don't understand why y'all would want him to walk around incomplete, is it because Anakin was an engineer and you think he should have sourced his own parts?
I think having the initial scene just include the life saving aspects would show that Vader is dependent on the suit to live. I looked at that as an emergency room scene. Having the full suit with lots of decorative items ready for him right away doesn't make sense unless Palpatine knew in great detail exactly what the injuries would be before the fight started.

The first scene could only address keeping him alive. The next scene could be Vader in the full suit.

View attachment 1593715
Just a cool screenshot from the Star Wars website. Zoomed out to make the video widget smaller.
Nice find! I went and pulled the original source file from the website and blew it up a little bit:

7uitQSw.png

And here's a wallpaper version with some additional color adjustments to my taste (mainly to reduce the blue lighting):

2DDVadS.jpg

Last edited:
Having the full suit with lots of decorative items ready for him right away doesn't make sense unless Palpatine knew in great detail exactly what the injuries would be before the fight started.
Although it only takes a few minutes of screen time in the movie, we don’t actually know how much time passed from the time the Emperor picked up Vader of Mustafar to when he is fully suited up. It could have been hours, days, even weeks- we really don’t know.

I think having the initial scene just include the life saving aspects would show that Vader is dependent on the suit to live. I looked at that as an emergency room scene. Having the full suit with lots of decorative items ready for him right away doesn't make sense unless Palpatine knew in great detail exactly what the injuries would be before the fight started.

The first scene could only address keeping him alive. The next scene could be Vader in the full suit.
Ok yeah that does make sense and having him full vader at the end does work better now you mention it but apparently his suit is an antique and palpatines interest in antiques is quite apparent in the film but then you could argue that he didn't just get this to put on display, either way having him in full at the end is a great Idea and when you look at the amount of detail on the mcquarrie Vader helmet (the one from the 'The star wars' book cover) it would look really cool half built with that design

Ok yeah that does make sense and having him full vader at the end does work better now you mention it but apparently his suit is an antique and palpatines interest in antiques is quite apparent in the film but then you could argue that he didn't just get this to put on display, either way having him in full at the end is a great Idea and when you look at the amount of detail on the mcquarrie Vader helmet (the one from the 'The star wars' book cover) it would look really cool half built with that design
True.

So, something I'm noticing about this helmet that I think could very easily be fixed post-printing one of the created files. Ever since 2005 in ROTS, Vader's helmet interior has not been raw fiberglass. It was glossy and smooth in RO as well, and (although it's very dark and tough to see), to me it looks like the interior of the dome on his new helmet is also glossy and smooth.

Just some food for thought for anyone printing one of these guys... might be worth thickening the interior of the dome with DAS clay, body filler, and spot putty... I've tried it before, it does in fact work.

Was looking forward to seeing more Vader in the making of docu, but no… However it was very interesting to briefly see the mounting system… faceplate being on Hayden (neat looking ”crown” mount) and the neck being put on next. Its the battle damaged one but I believe the mounting system is the same for all helmets in the show. Looks very engineered as opposed to the old days.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back