Keeping your sculpt preserved?

swift kinfe

Ok so just a general question for you guys.I noticed when I did my ironman helmet a while back over the summer(no thread here was working the face plate at the time).I had to keep a wet rag over the helmet and had to change it twice a day.Now flashforward to my school year now and I no longer have enough time to change the rags like over the summer.How could I keep my sculpts alive so I can actually post a build thread here?Like for example if I make a bio with one of xdmrays half masks(just for an example on size) as a base.How may I go about keeping that sculpt alive long enough for me to get home from school and change fix and continue the sculpt?

The best thing to do is to use an oil based clay, like chavant or klean klay. These don't dry out like WED clay does, and you can leave them for weeks if needs be before coming back to them.

If you don't want to buy anymore clay (oil clay is significantly more expensive than WED), then try using a plastic bag instead of a rag. I haven't done this myself, but what was suggested was to spray the sculpt with water, and do the same to the inside of a large plastic bag. Put the bag over the sculpt, and tie it down so it's fairly well sealed. So long as there are no holes in the bag, this should create and maintain a fairly humid environment inside the bag that will stop your sculpt from drying out in a few hours.

The best thing to do is to use an oil based clay, like chavant or klean klay. These don't dry out like WED clay does, and you can leave them for weeks if needs be before coming back to them.

If you don't want to buy anymore clay (oil clay is significantly more expensive than WED), then try using a plastic bag instead of a rag. I haven't done this myself, but what was suggested was to spray the sculpt with water, and do the same to the inside of a large plastic bag. Put the bag over the sculpt, and tie it down so it's fairly well sealed. So long as there are no holes in the bag, this should create and maintain a fairly humid environment inside the bag that will stop your sculpt from drying out in a few hours.

I second that about using an oil based clay. I currently have my cod piece/belt sculpt sitting ready for molding for the last 4 weeks. lol

if you are not going to have to time to finnish sculpts in a day or two, save yourself the headache and break down and buy some oil clay. it will be expensive but it almost never goes bad. you will use it for years to come without the hassel of making sure it doesnt dry out. especially for a large piece.

Not to sound like a broken record agreeing with the guys above, but oil based is awesome stuff when you have very little time to work on stuff, i mean i think my P1 has stood unprotected for nearly 18 months hehe.

buy some oil based, you will not regret it.

All you water based clay haters can suck it!

Water based is fine. I have a sculpt wrapped in a garbage bag that is still fresh and soft after a months time.

A couple advantages to WED clay, easy to sculpt large sculpts quickly. Because the clay is very soft and pliable.
It is very cheap.
No STINK!!! Oil based clay stinks up your hands.

Oil based clay can be reused again and again. Some clays can hold a huge amount of detail.

Use both and decide.

But to keep WED clay fresh, you need to wrap it tightly in a plastic garbage bag. And every couple days give it a watering.

I have a waterbased clay sculpt out in the work room that has been in the works for over a year now and its still holding up just fine. You just have to keep it moist and a tight seal.

-Chris

Well I always feel like I need to wash my hands after I've been sculpting. Maybe water based doesn't do this...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back