Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Umm, no. Han just let him know he was clear. Luke made the decision when to fire.

I know that.
It's so funny you think I don't know that.
I know that.

nathanthurm.jpg

Last edited:

Yes, just make a good movie. We don't want "same but different", we want a new story with the same style and quality. TFA was the same story, with good quality technically but the style was a pale superficial imitation. TLJ is again fine technically but story and style isn't even in the same universe.

TFA came out almost 40 years after ANH. That's the difference between ANH and 'The Wizard of Oz.'

I really liked 'The Dark Knight'. But I won't mind if they make a similar homage movie in 2046. Especially if the Batman franchise is rebooting from a long hiatus at the time.

The typical 14yo viewer these days is so young they barely even remember George W. Bush being president. 9/11 is like the JFK assasination to them; it's a previous generation's big moment. 1977 is absolutely prehistoric to them. They never even lived in that century. A lot of their parents were too young to have seen ANH in 1977.

Instead of looking back at old Star Wars for direction, do what Lucas did originally. Look back at all of the old films, whether sci-fi, westerns, war etc. and mine them for inspiration. TFA just took the ANH screenplay and moved the names around, which resulted in superficial imitation instead of new but with similar style.

I am partially being a devil's advocate here. I do get the annoyance of TFA being such an AHN remake. But it goes back to my earlier point: Eventually SOMETHING has to be good enough for a "did not suck" rating.

People who are not basically upbeat about any SW show released since ESB, aren't really SW fans. They are ANH/ESB fans. That is a perfectly acceptable opinion . . . . but let's just call it what it is.

People who are not basically upbeat about any SW show released since ESB, aren't really SW fans. They are ANH/ESB fans.

The theatrical cuts of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back ARE STAR WARS!

Every film since, to varying degrees, is a SWINO film. (Star Wars In Name Only)

The Wook

The evidence is incontrovertible, KK and Rian dared true fans to flinch.

We voted with our wallets.

When Rotten Tomatoes and other movie review websites start deleting negative reviews to up a film's rating, the evidence for a propaganda machine is clear.

If not already a done deal, if they are floating this idea to see the response, this is the *BEST* choice. We gave her a chance, and she choked.

The *TOXIC* people are the non-fan, SJW, who applauded a terrible film, and then ignored every legit argument that the film was terrible. Make up all the false arguments you want against the true fans, the movie was for painfully stupid. Pretty lights and sounds, but no substance. When legit fans explained why it was stupid, the supporters insisted that wasn't the "real" reason --like Anthony Weiner denying his charges. In the end, Weiner was still guilty as #$@%

This isn't Clerks, this is a major movie franchise. Seriously, crank calling a general...really? No longer epic good vs evil, but two incompetent armies making arms dealers rich!?!?!

You think that is Star Wars? Go home. Seriously. We are tired of explaining it. We don't mind new and different, we DO mind bombers blowing each other up in tight formation.

You say it is "canon" and now part of the story? Please read what "canon" actually means.

And Rian talking about "fan tears," or citing canon that excused his terrible ideas, he was desperately looking for ANY footing to excuse himself. All he did was make people remember him for his future flops. Revenge will be a dish best served with the sound of crickets at the box office, Rian.

You can make all the excuses you want, but a small, handfull of toxic fans didn't lose Disney craploads of money, it was bunches of true fans who walked away from bad film-making on which someone decided to stamp "Star Wars".

Usually, on social media, this is the part where the supporters start spamming "report" like lab mice on a morphine pump.

When Rotten Tomatoes and other movie review websites start deleting negative reviews to up a film's rating, the evidence for a propaganda machine is clear.

If not already a done deal, if they are floating this idea to see the response, this is the *BEST* choice. We gave her a chance, and she choked.

The *TOXIC* people are the non-fan, SJW, who applauded a terrible film, and then ignored every legit argument that the film was terrible. Make up all the false arguments you want against the true fans, the movie was for painfully stupid. Pretty lights and sounds, but no substance. When legit fans explained why it was stupid, the supporters insisted that wasn't the "real" reason --like Anthony Weiner denying his charges. In the end, Weiner was still guilty as #$@%

This isn't Clerks, this is a major movie franchise. Seriously, crank calling a general...really? No longer epic good vs evil, but two incompetent armies making arms dealers rich!?!?!

You think that is Star Wars? Go home. Seriously. We are tired of explaining it. We don't mind new and different, we DO mind bombers blowing each other up in tight formation.

You say it is "canon" and now part of the story? Please read what "canon" actually means.

And Rian talking about "fan tears," or citing canon that excused his terrible ideas, he was desperately looking for ANY footing to excuse himself. All he did was make people remember him for his future flops. Revenge will be a dish best served with the sound of crickets at the box office, Rian.

You can make all the excuses you want, but a small, handfull of toxic fans didn't lose Disney craploads of money, it was bunches of true fans who walked away from bad film-making on which someone decided to stamp "Star Wars".

Usually, on social media, this is the part where the supporters start spamming "report" like lab mice on a morphine pump.

giphy.gif

TFA came out almost 40 years after ANH. That's the difference between ANH and 'The Wizard of Oz.'

I really liked 'The Dark Knight'. But I won't mind if they make a similar homage movie in 2046. Especially if the Batman franchise is rebooting from a long hiatus at the time.

The typical 14yo viewer these days is so young they barely even remember George W. Bush being president. 9/11 is like the JFK assasination to them; it's a previous generation's big moment. 1977 is absolutely prehistoric to them. They never even lived in that century. A lot of their parents were too young to have seen ANH in 1977.

I am partially being a devil's advocate here. I do get the annoyance of TFA being such an AHN remake. But it goes back to my earlier point: Eventually SOMETHING has to be good enough for a "did not suck" rating.

People who are not basically upbeat about any SW show released since ESB, aren't really SW fans. They are ANH/ESB fans. That is a perfectly acceptable opinion . . . . but let's just call it what it is.

I’m a SW/ESB fan what is this ANH you are talking about?....ha

J

Man....the sense of entitlement in this thread is um...palpable.

Where'd that thread go with that kid who wrote a diatribe about why girls are hurting SW? Oh yeah..it got deleted.

Honestly, the man-boys and the "let people like things" meme fans are both in the wrong. I don't think either of you know what you want. Half of you are stuck in the past and the other half just want everything to be hunky dory 100% of the time with no opposing opinions. I gotta love that people are asking Lucas to come back when you guys were ready to shackle him and throw away the key for the prequels. Whilst simultaneously ripping apart a sci-fi adventure flick like it's their psychology final.

I think this fandom needs a time out. Like a kid who's found the sugar stash, I think there's been too much SW's injected here.

The theatrical cuts of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back ARE STAR WARS!

Every film since, to varying degrees, is a SWINO film. (Star Wars In Name Only)

The Wook

If ANH/ESB are the "SW" fans, okay, fine. But then we need another name for the fans of the bigger set. I don't care what we call them, I just think we need to make the distinction.

Truth is, a big part of me agrees with you. I certainly put ANH/ESB on a higher pedestal than anything since. But this attitude also basically means the franchise is dead. Nothing else that gets released in the foreseeable future is going to live up. It's possible but pretty unlikely.

I agree with most of this. TLJ legitimately disappointed fans and the SJW-based fan-bashing does not help Disney/LFL in the long run.

This tactic of blaming the fanbase for racism/sexism/etc when their movies fail to succeed . . . IMO this won't last. I guess it will take a few more rounds of it before the major studios get their noses bloodied enough times to wise up. If "cinematic universe" franchises are about long-term fans then you shouldn't insult your fans like that for a very minor (if even any) short-term gain. It is very short-sighted thinking on the studios's part IMO.

I dunno about this argument.

The original OT was inspired by Vietnam and the Cold War. The message was that the Empire could be beaten by insurgents. (Be it Ewoks or just regular Rebel Alliances.) As for bomber tactics in TLJ, there is room for debating military tactics in the OT too.

These days "incompetent armies making arms dealers rich" hits uncomfortably close to home. Perhaps it bothers people to hear the big armies characterized as "incompetent" but you could change the terms to "trained/equipped for the wrong kind of war" and it applies just as well. This stuff is arguably drifting towards a political opinion . . . but so was the OT premise above in a similar way. It's no secret that George Lucas started developing SW because he couldn't stir up financial interest in doing 'Apocalypse Now.' In the military sense the Empire was just an exaggeration the Cold-War-era US war machine.

Last edited:

I know that.
It's so funny you think I don't know that.
I know that.

View attachment 822726

FANS: People have said that Ep 8 is a bad movie.

NT: So? What makes you think I would care about that?

FANS: Well, you were quoted as saying it was great movie but the fans said otherwise.

NT: I'm well aware of what I said you dont have to repeat it

FANS: I also have a copy of the script right here

NT: I can see that. What makes you think I can't see that? (snorts with derision)

FANS: Let's read through it, shall we?

NT: I dont have to read it. I've already read it... (looking at the camera) Is it me? It's them, right?

Last edited:

This tactic of blaming the fanbase for racism/sexism/etc when their movies fail to succeed . . . IMO this won't last. I guess it will take a few more rounds of it before the major studios get their noses bloodied enough times to wise up. If "cinematic universe" franchises are about long-term fans then you shouldn't insult your fans like that for a very minor (if even any) short-term gain. It is very short-sighted thinking on the studios's part IMO.

I remember reading an article LONG ago re: General Motors. Their business model was to build a car or truck that would last 50,60, 70K miles then basically fall apart. The loyal customer was then expected to return to the dealership and simply buy a brand new GM car every 4-6 years. In some cases it worked because GM was building some beautiful looking cars. But for this discussion that was their business model.

Build it and they will buy it without question.

Then we see the Japanese and Germans enter the American car market. These automakers build smaller, more dependable and fuel efficient cars. As a result, those "loyal" customers fled and nearly destroyed GM because the "assumption" remained that the customer would remain loyal.

Build it and they will buy it without question?

Last edited:

Just keep the big wooden spoon under wraps, as mum`s go
to attitude adjuster, my brothers and I were on the business end of one of those things enough back in the day that if I see one these days, the eye tick comes back.

Hey now I'm not a Mad man !!!
I know the Geneva convention prohibits wooden spoons and chanklas as crimes against humanity !!!!

To be quite fair, I did not say I "wanted" GL to come back. I did think it would be ironic if after they bought out "the creator" they decided to pay him more to come back and complete the Saga. I do think he would have taken care of his characters legacy and wrapped up his original story arcs with more care.

I agree the PT is not the greatest, the Jar-Jar idea was pretty bad, too much CGI proved not to be the best idea, dialog was lacking and the story felt rushed in the end. We have even heard Mark, Harrison and Carrie complain about the dialog from the OT filming days. Other than that, there are some good things that can be extrapolated from the PT as well. I also agree with most, things started to go off the rails in RoTJ as licensing and toys became a motivation as opposed to the original vision.

I did like TFA if for nothing more than it felt like a "classic" SW movie. I like R1 and Solo, because they were interesting and fun. TLJ I really felt was mishandled, poorly put together, the story was weak, attempted to much comic relief, and went a direction we didn't expect just for the sake of doing so. I don't think they developed the charecters, and left many "old school" fans not looking forward to seeing the next one. To leave a SW movie and not be smiling or content with what you saw, looking forward to the next/last chapter is not the experience I wanted or expected to have from a beloved franchise. It is the only SW film I watched and left the theater feeling numb, nothing, and even mad about after I processed the experience. I have grown to accept much of it, but I don't even know if that is the right way to think about it, or if it is the only way Disney has given me to think about it based on post release statements.

I think most of us would like to see a film that was drafted and filmed using the same visionary philosophy that GL originally had during the SW and ESB era and not be so concerned with what we can sell after the movie comes out. That probably will not happen with the franchise being owned by the mouse corporation as the real money makers are the franchised merchandise associated.

I am not looking forward to IX, and I think our "only hope", "new hope", etc... is any new movies that distance themselves from the current timeline.

Last edited:

If ANH/ESB are the "SW" fans, okay, fine. But then we need another name for the fans of the bigger set. I don't care what we call them, I just think we need to make the distinction.

Truth is, a big part of me agrees with you. I certainly put ANH/ESB on a higher pedestal than anything since. But this attitude also basically means the franchise is dead. Nothing else that gets released in the foreseeable future is going to live up. It's possible but pretty unlikely....

I think when old-school Star Wars fans are honest with themselves, we realize that we're never going back to a place a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Never.

When you consider the HUGE balls that's going to be required to tap into the vibe and pace of a non-ADD afflicted society, we're not going to get that feeling back. We've lost the "ground-breaking" component, obviously; you only get that once. ANH was a derivative story, sure, but it succeeded because everyone was so deer-in-the-headlights on the performance end, but so ahead of their time on the logistics end (Lucas, SFX, artistic renderings, props, cinematography, etc.), it was the absolutely perfect storm for creating something fresh. It's still impossible to overstate what this movie was, what it accomplished, and the audacity it took to bring it to life.

We're never getting that back. There were glimpses of it in TFA where JJ made us actually feel for every new character by letting their scenes breathe, and not cramming exposition down our throats (and gave us a "people's villain" that was actually complex and relatable, despite not that much screen time, really), but if every new saga movie is going to be the next logical thematic rung, we are doomed. (FWIW, I thought Solo was 10x the movie TLJ was on those counts, and even that didn't do a great job character building or "breathing").

So, what are we left with; the shock value is gone forever, and that's what CGI has brought us (and not just in the sci-fi/fantasy realm), not much can be done about that. Pacing has probably been forever compromised, simply because of who we are anymore, leaving us with a machine-gun projection of "stuff" - according to the TLJ Bible, thou shalt build a movie around a handful of cool-looking still shots, and just insert random dialogue and plotlines, regardless whether it makes any sense. There are still fine performances to be had in SW - whether I've liked how they were written or not, the "Buy-in" of most of the characters in the last four movies has been really good, IMO. I have to believe that in the CGI era, that's not the easiest thing to do.

So, yeah, With each successive film after TFA, I had hoped not for a popcorn movie, but something really "Slow, quiet, and dark" (relatively speaking, of course), because TFA was the introductory course for a new generation, and now we were really going to get serious with our Star Wars (yeah, that's on me, I know). FWIW, I found both ANH and TESB to be slow, quiet, and dark; ANH a bit less so because of the introductory components necessary, where TESB could afford to be even more so, not being handcuffed to as many introductions (nor an ending). To me, "Slow, quiet, and dark" doesn't mean it isn't an action movie; it just means it's something I can engage with thematically, outside of any whiz-bang factors. To their credit, Infinity War did this pretty well, although some of the (length of the) action was still gratuitous enough to be distracting.

I'm rambling. Point is, you can make a great sci-fi movie that is barely even sci-fi, that focuses on interesting characters doing important things, and not having to show it all at a breakneck pace (see "Outland", with Sean Connery).

Last edited:

Truth is, a big part of me agrees with you. I certainly put ANH/ESB on a higher pedestal than anything since. But this attitude also basically means the franchise is dead. Nothing else that gets released in the foreseeable future is going to live up. It's possible but pretty unlikely.

I agree with this. There was a period -- especially post-Prequels but pre-Sequels -- that I thought "How is it that they can't seem to get this right? Just tell a new story, but in the way they did it before!" Over time, what I've come to realize is that that's basically impossible. I've realized this after watching multiple attempts to recapture the glory days of old franchises, sequels that tried to mimic the success of their predecessor, and reboots that tried to "do it the same but different."

Hollywood in the last almost 20 years has shown that it really is not very good at designing sequels that are "the same, but different." And really, I do think that's what fans want. They want a story that isn't recycled plot points, jokes, or even necessarily a formula, but they want it to "feel" the way the old films did. I just think that's ultimately unrealistic, depending on how one defines that "feeling" part.

For me, Star Wars is not simply about recapturing the "feeling" I had when I first saw the original films. I can't recapture that. I'm different, the world is different, the movies are different, and movies are made differently. I don't feel a sense of "awe" at movies anymore. F/X, however fancy they are, just don't blow me away. Not since I saw The Matrix without knowing anything other than "It's a movie about computer hackers" walking in. Since then, nothing has really blown me away in terms of F/X, and that includes Avatar (which just gave me a headache and otherwise didn't mask a boring Dances with Smurfs narrative). So, for me, the sense of "awe" isn't really there. It hasn't been captured yet. Maybe it's still possible, but I don't know.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not really looking for "the same" in the sense of "the same as ANH/ESB." What I want, what I've always been most attracted to, is cool new stories within a universe where we're keeping fidelity with how the universe itself operates and with how it appears. As long as the story is otherwise told well, if I get that stuff, I'm a happy fan. I'm not really tied to the OT characters anymore, and that as a conscious decision on my part going in to TFA (mostly because I expected them all to get killed). I also am really, really interested in seeing films that deviate from the established formula, or which are NOT repeating the story beats of the previous films. I can enjoy that, too, but I most appreciate it when the film doesn't just recycle story beats.

As an example, consider the Gundam franchise. The original 0079 story set the framework for the vast majority of other Gundam TV series. Some tweaks have been made (e.g., riffing on Gundam Wing), and there have been some really weird outliers (e.g. G-Gundam), but by and large, although the story does change, it keeps repeating the same beats as what you saw in either 0079 or Gundam-Z. (And we don't talk about ZZ.) That's fine, and I can enjoy that, but...I basically know what's gonna happen each time. I might not get all the specifics right, and they might shift a few things around here or there, but mostly I can guess when the Char clone shows up that he's hiding some dark secret of being related to a primary character, and I know who's standing in the shoes of the Amuro clone, etc., etc.

This would be like if every Star Wars film from here to eternity had plucky underdog rebels fighting against an evil galactic fascist force that's dominating the galaxy, the fascists wore white armor suits, the rebels wore whatever they had handy (but especially pilots in primary colored jumpsuits), you had a Luke Skywalker stand-in with a secret and unknown-to-him/her connection to a black-clad powerful bad-guy Force wielder standing in for Darth Vader, there was some shadowy manipulator Bigger-Bad evil Force user, and we basically just hit all the same story beats again and again. I might enjoy that as iterative entertainment, but...to be honest...I want something different. It still has to maintain fidelity with the universe itself that has been established in the films, in terms of look and basic tone, but let's explore other stuff.

So, for me, Star Wars is now pretty much a setting for telling other stories. IF you get the setting right, and you get the story right, I'm basically happy. And that's how I get "the same, but different." Just keep the setting the same. Otherwise, do your thing.

I agree with most of this. TLJ legitimately disappointed fans and the SJW-based fan-bashing does not help Disney/LFL in the long run.

Two things:

1. I'm not so sure Disney/LFL considers TLJ a "failure to succeed." It didn't do as well as TFA, sure. But it still brought in $1.3B worldwide. It's the #8 domestic grossing movie of all-time (TFA is #1). It's #11 all-time for worldwide gross (TFA is #3). So, yeah, it didn't do as well as TFA, but a "failure" it ain't. Not in terms of box office numbers. One might see it as a failure in storytelling, but that's a more subjective issue, and one that probably matters less to Disney/LFL.

2. I don't think "the fanbase" has been blamed for racism or sexism. I think some fans have been unarguably racist and some have been unarguably sexist. They are a noisy, detestable minority of the fandom. They are also different from people saying "I didn't like the movie because I didn't like how they handled Luke" or "Because there were some dumb plot holes" or "Because I hated how they undercut the mystery of Rey's parents" or whatever. All of which are complaints I've heard, none of which are sexist or racist. But there have been some very visible, very sexist and/or racist fans who have been called out, and deservedly so. Those folks can go pound sand, as far as Disney, LFL, and I'd say the majority of the fandom is concerned. I do think there are some fans who are perhaps unconsciously affected by sexism, and who don't realize it, but having a discussion about that is different from dismissing them altogether, and I also distinguish them between the "WTF? Star Wars isn't for girls!" bull**** that pops up now and then.

I think he could be great, question is does his lack of live action experience disqualify him. They seem to be transitioning to more of an Executive Priducer role and maybe multiple projects. Perhaps that’s how they can build up his CV as a viable replacement. If we see him doing and live action EP work that would’ve a great tell.

It doesn't matter if he has live action chops or not.

Star wars lives and dies by the story.

And Filoni has MORE than proved he understands that

Filoni gets the story, but he's never run a studio or produced live action films. One flop is not getting KK fired. People forget that her flops are a fraction of her films given that she produced every Speilberg film since the mid 80s.

It doesn't matter if he has live action chops or not.

Star wars lives and dies by the story.

And Filoni has MORE than proved he understands that

Right, even if he was just the guy that said, "Okay, here's how 7-9 will proceed, AND HERE'S THE TONE WE NEED TO MAINTAIN, he would have saved most of us a hell of a lot of grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back