Kanan Jarrus Costume

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Starwoid, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Starwoid

Starwoid Well-Known Member

In addition to the Ezra Bridger costume I am working on for my 2 year old, I am whipping up a Kanan Jarrus costume for my 4 year old. Here is the first wave of photos from the near complete shirt.

I had to cut two shirts apart to make this work. As stated in my previous thread, I have no sewing skills so I have used heat bond to create the hems and fuse the two shirts together. It is turning out very nicely. Hope you enjoy.

A little reference shot to compare.

kanan jarrus.jpg

IMG_3500.JPG

Here is a detail of the right arm, it is an underarmor type shirt as stated in the costuming guide over at Rebel Legion. The hem is not finished on the arm as I have to completely take the right side of the shirt in.

IMG_3501.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

Sym-Cha likes this.
  2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That's a great start :) ... By making those hems with 'heat bond' ... do you mean a hot glue gun?

Chaim

3. Coop

Coop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Heat Bond is a tape that acts as an adhesive when heat is applied to it (usually by way of a hot iron). Sometimes referred to as "hem tape".

Sym-Cha likes this.
  4. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that looks great so far! please tell me you are doing a saber build?!?

5. Starwoid

Unfortunately a scratch-built saber is out of the question at this point. But I might throw together a Kanan-ish blaster.

image.jpg image.jpg

Here's the big trying it on.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  6. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

oh i didnt know it was for ur kid, i thought u were making it for yourself! would be cool as a father son costume!

mvanwalks421 and Sym-Cha like this.
  7. Starwoid

I had considered the Kanan for myself, when the boys first saw Rebels and my 4 year old wanted to be Zeb and then he fell in love with Kanan so I bought an Obi Wan costume and am making Kanan for the oldest, Ezra for my middle son and a simple Leia for our six month old. I have to make a faux leather vest for my wife's Naboo pilot costume too! I am going to be busy.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  8. Starwoid

Did two more hours of heat binding tonight! I need to learn to work a sewing machine! But not until after CVII.

The shirt is done other than the striping and some touch up glue around the edges.

I have also added a photo of the gloves I cut for him. The pants are just a plain pair of grey slacks. Nothing special there.

Tomorrow ow I will move on to the belt and holster and the armor. I should be able to wrap this one up by week end.

Thoughts?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

PS- that shirt is comprised of three separate shirts. The base, or olive, is a plain tee. The dark green is a thermal and the black is an under armor. I did it this way to help with the heat three shirts or even the toastiness the dark green layer sewn to the top of the olive would cause.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Sym-Cha likes this.
  9. Starwoid

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I will be working on the armor portion tonight. Pretty excited to do it. Also going to knock out the belt.