K9 Panel Lights?

Kerr Avon

Master Member
I'm looking for these lights on the back of the K9 from the recent episode. They don't seem to depress like a button but seem to be just indicator lights. Anyone recognize them or know of a source for them?

[attachmentid=7843]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ Apr 30 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]1235973[/snapback]</div>
I'm looking for these lights on the back of the K9 from the recent episode. They don't seem to depress like a button but seem to be just indicator lights. Anyone recognize them or know of a source for them?

[attachmentid=7843]
[/b]

PM me for contact info..I have someone you can talk to on that.

Are you building a K9 unit? If so could you share some photos of it's construction. I've wanted one of these guys but haven't had much luck with any sort of prints.

Yup. It's going to be my new major project. I'm afraid it'll be much like an R2D2 build, where it's never done. I'm going to work with a fiberglass body and get the body and exterior done first, and then start trying to add items like functional lights, screen on the side, moving head, tail, ears, extendable staser, extending sensor array and maybe even a teletype 'printer' for the tongue.

It's going to take a while. :D

this has been my second dream project, other than R2-D2. If I could make this 1/2 of my goals will be complete in prop making. any info you have and can share please do.

This is actually a project I have wanted to do for MANY years and after the last Dr. Who my interest is renewed 10 fold... I might actually get started on it sooner then later now...

But, yes it will be a LONG project as I would only do a fully functional one, nothing real hard with the electronics but time intensive never the less...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ May 1 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]1236642[/snapback]</div>
screen on the side,
[/b]

Was there ever an episode where this was shown as working? I don't remember it.

Now I want to make one. The question is, which version? Though I think I might try sheet metal instead of fiberglass. Still need accurate dimensions, though.

And it looks from School Reunion that the lights on the back are indeed buttons

K9's back buttons certainly are real practical buttons. they're all over original series Dr Who props and sets.

At least I should say they started out as practical buttons, whether they were altered in any way by the Who Crew, I don't know.

I met Matt Irvine and saw an original K9 a couple of months ago and a made a point of studying the buttons but didn't think to take photos unfortunately. The buttons are similar to the green-lensed ones on the ESB/ROTJ Vader belt, the closest I've found are here:

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/resource...etails/3160.pdf

However I thought at the time that K9's buttons were slightly longer rectangles than these and the bezels on the dog's ones I think have sloping sides whereas these are straight-sided.

Jeremy

The lights come from RS, as you've said they were used quite a lot on the original series and they're used a bit on the new series also.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EdgeofNowhere @ May 3 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]1237656[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

Who cares if it didn't? It was obviously a display screen of some sort and it'd be cool if it did. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ May 3 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]1237889[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EdgeofNowhere @ May 3 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]1237656[/snapback]
[/b]

Who cares if it didn't? It was obviously a display screen of some sort and it'd be cool if it did. :D
[/b][/quote]

I whole heartedly agree. I've got no problem what so ever with idealized replicas. Go for it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dano @ May 3 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]1237819[/snapback]</div>
The lights come from RS, as you've said they were used quite a lot on the original series and they're used a bit on the new series also.
[/b]

When Mickey was pushing them trying to wake K9 up, it didn't look like they really depressed to me, they seemed to remain extended to me. Do you mean Radio Shack for RS?

I was just going to ask if RS was radio shack, would make shopping easier

anyone seen this link? http://www.357.com/chris/k-9.html

hes has some blueprints here http://www.357.com/chris/k9plans.zip
he states:

If you've also built a K-9, R2D2, Dalek or other robot, let me how it turned out.
Sorry, I don't have any schematics or source code. (My notebooks were lost when I moved.)
K-9 is NOT for sale. Thanks for all of the offers.

just thought i'd share, im sure most of you have seen this

Sorry, I should have clarified.

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/home.do?cacheID=ukie

Be warned though, they are not cheap. A friend of mine is currently working on his K-9 casts and 2 of the switches alone are nearly £200.

Basically if you're ever researching into BBC props, the 2 companies whose names crop up over and over again for off the shelf components are the above company, and EMA in Shepperton studios. EMA doesn't have it's own website, you have to write and ask for a catalouge, although any company who supplies Plastruct will be a help.

I believe that the buttons on the K-9 prop are also the same used as the insignia badges on the Imperial officer suits in Star Wars.

I agree. The MSN club is THE place to check out K9 details. They have some excellent plans that are more accurate than those published in an old issue of Doctor Who Monthly.

Radio Spares is the place where I got my buttons and the handle grips used to pick him up.

I live in the States and used their global export site (http://www.rs-export.com/cgi-bin/bv/home/Home.jsp?cacheID=gxie). In case you're interested search for part 221-320 on their site. Those are supposed to be the same handles as the original prop used. For the buttons I used some manufactured by EAO. Search for 2485239.

Hope this helps,
Bob

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ May 3 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]1237905[/snapback]</div>
The site http://groups.msn.com/thedoctorwhopropbuildersclub has a lot of good information on it and some good blueprints and screenshots.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jedicouncil @ May 4 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]1238555[/snapback]</div>
Radio Spares is the place where I got my buttons and the handle grips used to pick him up.
[/b]

Absolutely. Good spotting there. I also saw the two pieces I think are used for the large red indicator lights when I was glancing through the site this morning. I'll find it and post the part number, it looks like what was used to me.

Edit:

http://www.rs-export.com/cgi-bin/bv/home/H...sp?cacheID=gxie

Part 664-109

I believe the handle grips are now discontinued, my friend has a few of them spare as he used to work for beeb fx and got access to the original casts, so he stocked up on a few relevant parts. The problem is ( budget wise ) that on the original K-9 a couple of the buttons when depressed would stay in a down postition, whilst others would spring back up. He was telling me all about this a couple of days back, but to be completely honest, I really do not like the k-9 prop so I didn't pay much attention.

Just and FYI about RS (the company suggested for parts) due to legal Trademark issues they won't send a catalog to the US but you should be able to order parts from them via the website without issues...

They do however have an American operating company and they said this company "should" be able to cross reference and supply most RS parts for us on the other side of the pond...

ALLIED ELECTRONICS INC

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back