JW Raptor - Same as the JP sculpt?

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by Howlrunner, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Howlrunner

Howlrunner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm considering paint schemes for my 1:1 velociraptor bust which is taken from the Stan Winston molds. Having seen Jurassic World, and the key role played by "Blue", I was wondering, are the JW raptors (specifically "Blue") the same as those in JP? The JP and JP2 raptors were the same sculpt, and the JP3 raptors were a very different new sculpt, but what about the JW raptors? Are they a new sculpt/design (for the very few "real" - non-CGI - raptors) or based on the first/second movie?

Basically, would a JP raptor, in JW paint scheme look "accurate", or are there big differences that I'm unaware of?

JW:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

JP:
    [​IMG]

JP2:
    [​IMG]

2. jedichase

jedichase Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not sure if the digital model they used in JW somehow came from scans of the originals. I do know that Stan Winston studios did not make any dinosaurs for JW. My personal opinion is that it's a custom sculpt, but I've been wrong on multiple occasions.

3. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Your photos aren't loading for me, but perhaps that's just because I'm on mobile?

Based on the few photos I've seen, the JW raptors have quite a few different details. The point of the muzzle, nostrils, eyes, and wrinkle details have all been enhanced or altered when compared to the JP Raptor. If I had to guess, I'd say it is indeed a new sculpture. Would anyone notice the difference if it was painted like the JW raptor? Probably not.

I believe Legacy Effects supplied the practical dinos for the movie.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015