Justice League Cyborg New 52 W.I.P

endo500

So I’m starting a build thread for Cyborg from the new 52 Justice League. I’m going to base a lot of my build on one of Jim Lee’s sketches that was in the back of a Justice League Issue. It is the best reference issue i have been able to find.

tumblr_m4fi1x8CxE1r6e1vno1_1280.jpg

I’m going to build this mostly from scratch since there aren’t really many pepakura files I can use. However I’m going to base some of my designs on the images I have seen from other builds.

That said I’m definitely going to need help from ya’ll since I plan on incorporating a lot of techniques that I have never done before.

Here are the issues I’m working on trying to resolve

1) Getting the LED lights setup for the chest, belt, eye and forehead piece
2) The half face mask and how to get it to stick to my face
3) Making the chest have more dimension.

So this is what I have so far for the chest plate. I like It but it feels a little flat and not as 3 dimensional as say the iron man chest pieces are. I might try to redo it to make it look more dynamic, but I’m not really sure what I can do to make it look better. But for now we’ll consider this the mark I of my chest piece.

tumblr_m4fhlhBwa41r6e1vno1_r1_500.jpg

and without the red lens

tumblr_m4fhnrB5cg1r6e1vno1_400.jpg

Also I started to build the shoulder pieces. I based them on the double shoulder pieces from the new Iron Man Mark 7. In these pictures they have been coated in PVA glue and the first coat of 65D. I plan to use the method described by XRobots in his foam coating tutorial.

tumblr_m4fhmvTM3F1r6e1vno1_500.jpg

and

tumblr_m4fhn5d8r21r6e1vno1_500.jpg

Thanks to all RFP members for their help and support thus far. Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas about the build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Endo,

It looks like the chest was assembled flat so will not give the same type of contour that IM gives. When you are connecting your seams make sure to use various angles and miter cuts to put them together. This will give more shape prior to bending the piece.

Dean

Hey Endo,

It looks like the chest was assembled flat so will not give the same type of contour that IM gives. When you are connecting your seams make sure to use various angles and miter cuts to put them together. This will give more shape prior to bending the piece.

Dean

Thanks for the idea. I thought about that but i didn't really know where to add the cuts and angles too since i only see a 2D version which does make it look kind of flat. Any suggestions or where i would put angles?

Wow big undertaking! Can't wait to see this. For the chest because of the flatness I was thinking you could start off with this vest to use as a base. Once you remove the mags it holds the right shape for Cyborg's chest and even the back. After that you just cover in the sides with some ribbed fabric (leather) or such so you can still move about. Just a idea, best of luck!

Wow big undertaking! Can't wait to see this. For the chest because of the flatness I was thinking you could start off with this vest to use as a base. Once you remove the mags it holds the right shape for Cyborg's chest and even the back. After that you just cover in the sides with some ribbed fabric (leather) or such so you can still move about. Just a idea, best of luck!

Wow that's a really good idea. I wonder if I could take off all the various loops and attachments. I might buy it just to use it for the shapes and then bend the foam over it. That way the pieces will look consistent in color and texture. You have given me a lot to think about.

I've always loved Cyborg originally from th' Teen Titians th' DC comics that i grew up with that is, I'm interested in seeing where this goes from here. keep up th good work Endo500!:cool:cool

I've always loved Cyborg originally from th' Teen Titians th' DC comics that i grew up with that is, I'm interested in seeing where this goes from here. keep up th good work Endo500!:cool:cool

Yeah I use to love that show as well. I'm just glad the character finally has a place on a decent team. Now if we could only get him his own book and all would be great.

Anyway I did some work last night and realized that i might have to redo some of my shoulder bells. I realized I wasn't careful enough to make sure i put on both the glue and 65D in very thin layers. As a result its very bumpy and uneven. Plus I wanted to clean up some of the seam lines. I think i found a method that helps me create the angles better than the xacto box cutter or scissors did. Anyway here is a sample pic of the new versions on the left vs the old on the right.

tumblr_m4h94fpGno1r6e1vno1_500.jpg

Endo!!!!! Nice shoulder bell, you can really tell th' difference it's alot cleaner than th' other one. go to Youtube and check out duct tape dummy tutorial by XRobots your gonna need one so ya can build it ta ya body type remember when building pieces if their contured ta ya body they will fit better that's why you need a duct tape dummy /w/ your body's proportions so sizing pieces mocked together will help ya create your templates for building i hope that helps ya brah and keep up th' good work.:cool:D

So here are a few updates from this past weekend. Based on some suggestions I went back and rebuilt the chest and back piece. So here are pictures of the chest 2.0. Thanks to Indigogyre & Ironleoman for their help. I tried to show a front and side view for both sides. Sorry I can’t provide any reference picks of me wearing it yet because I can’t really hold it up and take my picture at the same time. But it does look better actually on and not propped up. I’m starting to think I might have to buy a mannequin to get the strapping correct.

This week I hope to finish building these pieces out of foam
Shoulders
Chest (front & back)
Cannon for the Arm
Neck Piece

Anyways let me know what you guys think.

Chest Front
tumblr_m4rj105tRn1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

Chest Side
tumblr_m4rj1b5MDa1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

Back Front
tumblr_m4rjhzuJ4H1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

Back Side
tumblr_m4rj27sTsx1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

So here are the updates from this past weekend. I finished the cod piece and both thigh pieces. I also remade some of the shoulder pieces so they have cleaner lines. Speaking of I plan to go back and clean up the glue lines once I’m ready to start coating more of the suit glue.

I haven’t figured out how to do the strapping for the legs and cod piece yet. So if anyone knows any good tutorials on this I would greatly appreciate it. And please note I have seen the stealth video and he doesn’t cover how to do it for the legs/thighs/knees.

So here are the goals for this week
1. Finish taking apart and repainting the arm cannon
2. Build the knee, shin and foot pieces of the armor
3. Add strapping for Chest pieces of armor.

Outstanding Issues/problems and concerns.
1. Attaching the half face mask
2. Getting the chest & cod pieces to light up
3. Strapping for the lower part of the suit.

As always your thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated.

tumblr_m53b22FZjp1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m53b2dws3d1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m53b2oIL1n1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m53b345Vnn1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

Looing good so far. Im new to using pepakura and I have not yet got past the paper stage. So many different directions you can go when working with it. I can't wait to see where you go with the build and I look forward to learining from it.

lookin great so far! as for the half face piece. you could either sculpt the pice then cast in in urethane or use foamies. use duct tape and get the basic shape on your haed with it. then, take it off and cut it so it lays flat. copy the flat duct tape pattern onto foam, then reassemble. also, you can heat foam over your stove top and curve or bend slightly where its needed. good luck hope this helps!

Justice League Cyborg New 52 W.I.P Update Test Fit Pics

So I finally I have some pictures of me wearing what I have so far for the chest pieces. Unfortunately I don’t have a full length mirror so I couldn’t show the cod piece and thigh pictures. Anyway putting on the pieces showed me some potential problem areas and new things I need to fix. I need to have my friend come over and help me matchup the side straps because they are a little crooked now (hint hint).

tumblr_m58yrya93i1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m58yszlOWM1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m58ysg0QGv1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m58yuiGVmy1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

Also another thing I’m not sure about and want your opinions on the shoulder bells. When I first tried them on I thought they looked a little small. But when I went back and looked at the sketch (In the first post) I noticed they are kind of small there too. However it does look like the hang off the side of his shoulder rather than on top like I have them placed. Let me know if you think I should make them bigger or just readjust the placement of them.

tumblr_m58yu9VKi21rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m58yurzVBQ1rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

As always your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

I get the hint sheesh. But I think you should try readjusting the bells first just to see how it looks but I don't think it would hurt if you made them a bit bigger.

Looks like a good start, but oddly it doesn't fit your shape. It looks too big (width wise) on you, scale it down just slightly this way it looks as though it was made for your shape. This is going to give it better movement when your wearing it.

Other than that looks like a damn good start.

So I didn’t get too much work done over the weekend. Darn you tequila! However I did re-size my shoulder bells and finished the neck piece. Instead of taking more myspace mirror pictures I figured I would just show it on my mannequin. So I’m officially 30 days till SDCC! I’m going crank out the rest of the build the next few days. Check back frequently for daily updates.

tumblr_m5ge4wNOH21rxnqt1o1_500.jpg

Looks like a good start, but oddly it doesn't fit your shape. It looks too big (width wise) on you, scale it down just slightly this way it looks as though it was made for your shape. This is going to give it better movement when your wearing it.

Other than that looks like a damn good start.

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to keep it kind of bulky and not fits my actual size. Cyborg's armor isn't really sleek and form fitting like Iron Man. Which I think will help distinguishing it from looking like a weird war machine version. Thanks for the comments though. however once i add more pieces of the armor it will start to look better.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back