Just WHAT is Lando wearing???

Brinn 71

I was researching Lando and what he's wearing at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.
I always LOVED that outfit and wanted to make a figure of it.
Lando%20outfit%2001.jpg

When I looked at this still it got me thinking. It looks like the shirt Han Solo is wearing at the awards ceremony ay the end of ANH. ItÂ’s the same shirt the Rebel Fleet Troopers wear, except in an off-white colour, instead of the grey/blue. So I'm wondering if I'm right?
SW%20outfit%20comparisons.jpg

So I grab these images. What do you all think?

On a geekier level, where do you think Lando got these new flyin' threads? They all left Bespin with only what they had on them, so where did Lando get the clothes? I always assumed Han had all of his clothes on the Falcon, since I believed he lived on there, based on the fact that Han had different clothes than the rest of the rebels most of the time. He wore Rebel issue pants, gloves and hat on Hoth, but his own coat.
Did Lando raid Han's clothes stash or were these Rebel issue? Maybe Lando is wearing the rebel vest too? Can anyone tell? Are there pics of Billy Dee Williams wearing this suit anywhere?

Brinn 71

Oh yeah, what happened to Luke's X-Wing too? They left it behind on Bespin as well.

Well, duh, Lando raided Han's closet on the Falcon. What else could he do? :)

It might very well be the same shirt--the lighting is different enough to account for the color difference. Vest is different, though--Lando's goes straight down at the side whereas Solo's curves in front of the neck.

Yea, always figured he swiped some of Han's clothes. I mean he's wearing a white collared shirt and a black vest. Pretty Solo-esque to me.

Originally posted by Darth Detroit@Feb 14 2006, 06:49 PM
Clearly they are Han Solo's clothes. It wouldnt look right to have Lando dressed in his Bespin atire.
[snapback]1184421[/snapback]​

what about this little confusing idea...

they WERE landos clothes to start off with, when Han won the falcon... he got everything on it. :confused

...what if...what if.... :p

What if Uncle Owen was Obiwan's brother?

Seriously. It could be possible, since the clothes fit. But seeing how they are on the outter part of the galaxy, they most likey are spare clothes from Han, and were stored onthe Falcon.

I've always thought of Han's shirt & vest outfit as generic "pilot-wear".

As for raiding wardrobes in the OT - there's also the case of Luke's Corellian pants in ANH. It was mighty nice indeed of Solo to lend his other, ESB-pair of pants to Luke for the medal ceremony... poor guy did leave his wardrobe on Tatooine after all...

I've been studying the RFT/Yavin shirt for quite awhile now in fact, and yes it does appear that Lando is wearing one as well.

I'll need to check the DVD to look for a few other "tells" unique to the design, but its probably, as has been discussed, the same shirt Harrison wore in ANH.

Oh yeah, what happened to Luke's X-Wing too? They left it behind on Bespin as well.

I've pondered that for some time, myself... Only to come to the conclusion that "Ice Cream Maker Guy" hopped in and took off with it. When he realized whose ship he'd stolen, he hooked up with his Bothan buddies and swapped it for more ice cream supplies.

It makes as much sense as what we've seen in the Holiday Special and those Ewok movies. :)

Originally posted by Treadwell@Feb 14 2006, 05:21 PM
Vest is different, though--Lando's goes straight down at the side whereas Solo's curves in front of the neck.
[snapback]1184348[/snapback]​

True. I'm wondering if he's wearing the Rebel Fleet Trooper's vest? I can't tell if they maybe added pockets to it high up on Lando's chest or not. The Rebel trooper's don't seem to have pocket details up there.

So, I guess no full-body pics of Billy Dee in this outfit exist?

Also, is Han's Vest in ROTJ the same as the one in ANH?

B

Jango_Wes and I were discussing the similarities between Solo's ANH ceremonial shirt and the one Luke has on, too. They appear to be the same style, although different colors. Luke is wearing his with the front flaps open.

Han wears this style of shirt in ESB and again in ROTJ. albeit with the front flap 'undone', and the collar up.

Aren't these shirts versions of chef's coats? Modified, of course...

chef_coat.jpg

Does anyone know of a pattern for these?

Han is wearing a white version of the RFT/Yavin shirt during the medal cermony. The RFTs wore it in a light blue, the officers at Yavin wore tan and brown versions.

In fact the RFT/Yavin shirt base is the same pullover shirt that Han wears (in the rest of the film) with an added "bib". The material is the same, the sleeves are cuffed in the same way. Where the opening at the neck for Han has no buttons, the RFT/Yavin versions are either buttoned up or even possibly zipped up (common 70's fashion).

Luke wears a similar sort of style shirt at the medal ceremony but the flap on the front is actually attached to the collar, very different from the RFT/Yavin/Han medal ceremony shirt where you can see the top of the flap go across the front.

So nope to a Civil War shirt. Nope to a chef's shirt. Its a very 1970's casual stretch knit pullover, probably sporting a ring pull zipper under the bib.

Saw this pic from CIV on Rebelscum. Here's what Hasbro came up with for Lando's post Bespin attire:
IMG_2265%20Lando.JPG

What do you all think? I think its kinda cool that Lando raided Han's closet for Han's (or his own) shirt, but kept on his pants and shoes from Cloud City. Grabbed a spare Han Solo style belt and different vest and there you have it. I'd add the Greedo Killer blaster too as if it was in the weapon storage on the Falcon after the Cantina encounter at Mos Eisley. :):thumbsup

B

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back