Just watched "The Rock" on cinemax

Noeland

Master Member
The Rock as in Michael Bay's EPIC prison/mercenary/slam the man/Ed Harris and Michael Biehn argue over an ORDER - The Rock. I had forgotten what a mindlessly fun flick that was. Was this Cage's first action flick?

Just wondering if anyone ever attempted to replicate the mother of pearl missile payload. I kept wondering what the hero green balls were made from, I figure green resin or plastic.

Yeah, it's a slow saturday around the household. :D

someone else? forget who, was it magic man?

made them with clear xmas ornaments and gel candle material, looked really good

aloe gel works well...

prell was a rumor started from the interview with cage.

pharchivist is the guy to seek though :)

chris

Originally posted by hydin@Feb 5 2006, 01:00 AM
aloe gel works well...

prell was a rumor started from the interview with cage.

pharchivist is the guy to seek though :)

chris
[snapback]1176195[/snapback]​

Thanks guys....

Yeah I can probably set you up with a few... May be a while though -- I have a few other projects on the burner.

For the record:
As far as I am concern, the jury is STILL out as to if the originals were glass or plastic. Profiles in history sold one that was glass, but screen-cap "evidence" (that is sort of an oxymoron) shows strong indications of seam lines suggesting plastic hemispheres.

Mine are plastic hemispheres, so there is a seam line. However, I can guarantee the color of mine and the "bubble degree" match the screen-used props perfectly.

Hydin speaks the truth. Prell is not the proper stuff to use.

I have afew of these from Rob, and they were awesome.... unfortunately, when I took them out of the box recently, to finally display them, it seemed that they somehow leaked, and are now 1/3 filled :(

Originally posted by allosaur176@Feb 5 2006, 02:34 AM
I have afew of these from Rob, and they were awesome....  unfortunately, when I took them out of the box recently, to finally display them, it seemed that they somehow leaked, and are now 1/3 filled  :(
[snapback]1176251[/snapback]​

That's inherent problem -- not air tight. BUT that makes them more screen-accurate. The real ones all dried up to. I've experimented by coating them with multiple coats of Future to try to seal it 100%. Not sure if Rob's were done that way.

Rob, send them back to me and I'll re-fill for you, gratis of course. Or alternatively, I'll walk you through the process.

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 4 2006, 10:40 PM
Rob, send them back to me and I'll re-fill for you, gratis of course.  Or alternatively, I'll walk you through the process.
[snapback]1176257[/snapback]​

And thats what makes you one of the best sellers on this board, standing by a product I bought from you almost 2 years ago... I wouldn't think of sending them back only for you to refill them. You gave me a great deal on them back then, so just know that if you decide to make another run of these, to put me down for afew new and improved ones :)

Couldn't they be done in green tinted clear resin? Since we want bubbles in them anyway, that wouldn't be a problem. And it would also eliminate the problem of trying to string them all together. If they're solid, just drill a tiny hole through the center and thread them on a wire.

I'd be in for a few if they were done this way.

-Fred

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 5 2006, 02:33 PM
By the way, have you seen my baby?  You did if you just watched The Rock.  :D
[snapback]1176248[/snapback]​

I need to know more...

Originally posted by ReelManiac@Feb 5 2006, 03:34 AM
Whenever I watch the movie I always think of the big green glass grapes my mom used to have back in the 70's. I suppose you could use them if you find some good ones.

Here's a couple on eBay to show what I'm talking about-

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RETRO-GREEN-GL...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RETRO-GLASS-GR...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLASS-GRAPES-EMERALD-G...1QQcmdZViewItem
[snapback]1176290[/snapback]​

This has been discussed before. Generally, these hit around it, but typically don't wuite hit the mark. Although, the first and third auctions look promising. The second auction however clearly shows spheres of varying colors.

Originally posted by CTF+Feb 5 2006, 05:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CTF @ Feb 5 2006, 05:42 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Feb 5 2006, 02:33 PM
By the way, have you seen my baby?  You did if you just watched The Rock.   :D

I need to know more...
[snapback]1176356[/snapback]​
[/b]

Here's my baby.

;)
Originally posted by CTF+Feb 5 2006, 05:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CTF @ Feb 5 2006, 05:42 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Feb 5 2006, 02:33 PM
By the way, have you seen my baby?  You did if you just watched The Rock.   :D

I need to know more...
[snapback]1176356[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well...? What more can I share?

there was a canister and some loose strings of globes on display at Disney MGM several years ago. They were in the prop building you pass through to get to the back lot ride, inside one of the cages.
I've been there several times since but don't remember if I've seen them recently.

Originally posted by PHArchivist+Feb 5 2006, 06:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ Feb 5 2006, 06:42 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gigatron
@Feb 5 2006, 05:05 AM
Couldn't they be done in green tinted clear resin? 
[snapback]1176334[/snapback]​

Tried that. PAIN in the ass...
[snapback]1176387[/snapback]​
[/b]

Just out of curiosity, what was the problem with doing them that way?

I don't know much about resins, but I would think it was just a matter of making a round mold and filling it with the resin, no? Since it is such a simple shaped mold, several could be done at a time.

Just a thought.

-Fred

Originally posted by Gigatron+Feb 6 2006, 07:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Feb 6 2006, 07:28 PM)</div>
Originally posted by PHArchivist@Feb 5 2006, 06:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Gigatron
@Feb 5 2006, 05:05 AM
Couldn't they be done in green tinted clear resin? 
[snapback]1176334[/snapback]​

Tried that. PAIN in the ass...
[snapback]1176387[/snapback]​

Just out of curiosity, what was the problem with doing them that way?

I don't know much about resins, but I would think it was just a matter of making a round mold and filling it with the resin, no? Since it is such a simple shaped mold, several could be done at a time.

Just a thought.

-Fred
[snapback]1177423[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yes -- I should clarify. I should say the approach I took was a pain... Its possible that others with more experience may find an easier approach. Nonetheless, here are the challenges I ran into:

1. CLEAR RESIN -- for those not accustomed to it, it is very difficult to work with. First in getting it to catalyze and cure properly. You have to get just the right number of drops for the volume of resin. And it takes basicallly over night to cure assuming you DO get it right. Second is that you have to color it just right. I made probably about 10-15 before I had a loosely close color made by combing a ratio of green and yellow dye drops. Even then it was 100% perfect.

2. THE MOLD -- granted there are likely a number of things you can use to get a perfect 1.5" spherical mold (though I can't think of any now) I used a glass, beaker type thing I found at my plastics supplier. It was overzised for the purpose, and getting the glass off the resin was, shall we say, a hellish process. But I consede that using glass may not be the best idea. Incidentally I HAD to break the glass off because the glass sphere had a filler funnel worked onto it.

3. BUBBLES -- Controlling bubbles is next impossible. The correct look has bubbles evenly strewn throught the sphere. When I was actually able to create bubbles (this is easy to do ONLY when you do NOT want them.), the generally rose to the top.

As mentioned, someone with greater skills with clear casting resin may have better results.

But the method I use now is much easier and looks 100% like the screen-used spheres.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back