Just watched Real Steel last night

By the way
Just got the e-mail. if you are in Los angeles area
El Capitain has Atom and Noisy Boy on display
I think I am going to go check the Bots out later this week
It should be pretty cool

Isn't this a full length feature version of the 1963 Twilight Zone episode "Steel" written by Richard Matheson and starring Lee Marvin?

I didn't well up, but I can guarantee that every woman in that theater was weepy.'

And any guy that's close with his dad hahaha.

They actually had the Ambush, Noisy Boy and Atom robots on display up here in Toronto at Fan Expo. Wish I had paid a bit more attention at the time but they were actually pretty cool. Huge, too.

I love Hugh, so I definitely want to see this. I even sat through that POS that was Kate & Leopold because he was in it, despite the fact that Meg Ryan's character was a raving, unlikable *****.

Seeing how Jackman and Schiber are both in Kate and Leopold -- there's a way to watch that movie and edit it in your head into a Wolverine prequel. I've done it -- you have to disregard 96% of the story, but the rest works really really well

Thanks for the review, i was going to wait for it to come on bluray, but i just mit go see it at the theater. Thanks man....

Just to let everyone out there know... I went to see this last night... and it was not what i was expecting. I expected to walk into a half-@ss transformers want-a-be movie with half way ok CG, but something that might deserve to be seen on the big screen. Movie special effects have always been a passion of mine... from zombies to giant robots, ive been captivated for most of my life.... and sometimes a crappy movie just gets good enough effects that it merits seeing on the big screen. I kinda wondered if "Reel Steel" might end up being one of those movies, but the CG looked really good. What I got was a real suprise and a really well made movie. For anyone wondering how i might rate movies... here would be my recent breakdown:

Captain America - 8.5 (easy)
Thor - 8
X-Men First Class - 7.5
Transformers 3 - 6.5 (sorry Transformers fans)
Green Lantern - 6 (and i even like Ryan Reynolds)

but Real Steel would easily get a solid 9.5

This movie was a perfect example of how a movie should take you on a journey. It was cast perfectly... one thing though... is it just me or does Dakota Goyo (the boy - Max) look almost identical to Jake Lloyd (young Anakin) just a few years older?? I would recommend this movie to anyone who wants to leave the theater with that feeling of being taken on a wonderful adventure that i'm not sure anything has really given me sense i was a kid... maybe the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie ;).

One thing i was hoping someone who has already seen this could clear up for me (and to pay attention to if you see it after you read this). In the scene where they are in the junkyard and looking for parts... there is a part when Max picked up a face plate for a robot and Hugh Jackman said something like,"Thats way too old to be useful... thats from a generation 1 robot". This is not a correct quote, but what Max picked up looked to me like a Gen 1 Starscream (old transformers) face plate. Was this a plant from the production crew? Was this intended to be a Transformers reference? I think we might have found something here??? Can someone who noticed this or who goes to see this after they read this please let me know... i want to see it again, but funds are a bit tight for a few more days :(.

I would recommend this movie to anyone! Even my wife (who just went to this to support me ;) ) hasn't stopped talking about it. She pronounces "Real Steel" to be, "The best movie i've seen all year!" and she doesn't even like robots ;). You can't loose with this movie.

-Andrew

When I first saw the trailer, I thought to myself "come on Hugh, get on with Wolverine 2 already", but since it's getting heaps good reviews, I'm real excited to go see it soon.

Think Rocky with robots... and a father/kid storyline.

It was predictible, pretty straightforward and rote. But, most summer movies of this type are. It's a feel good, dad/kid bonding with fighting robots.

Danny Elfman's score surprised me. It didn't sound like Danny Elfman and while it had some decent cues it fell short of Elfman standards for me.

A great deal of this was filmed in Detroit. Even the parts that weren't supposed to be Detroit were Metro Detroit... even our local flavor of potato chips, Better Made (named best chip by Maxim Mag in 2008) had a cameo as did Detroit Fire Dept HQ which served as Tallet's Gym.

I thought Rocky meets Over the Top. I enjoyed it though. It had the typical cheese filler like the "punks" at the zoo but overall I was ok spending money on this movie

Think Rocky with robots... and a father/kid storyline.

It was predictible, pretty straightforward and rote. But, most summer movies of this type are. It's a feel good, dad/kid bonding with fighting robots.

Danny Elfman's score surprised me. It didn't sound like Danny Elfman and while it had some decent cues it fell short of Elfman standards for me.

A great deal of this was filmed in Detroit. Even the parts that weren't supposed to be Detroit were Metro Detroit... even our local flavor of potato chips, Better Made (named best chip by Maxim Mag in 2008) had a cameo as did Detroit Fire Dept HQ which served as Tallet's Gym.

Don't forget the Renaissance Center!

I think part of what helps make the movie feel more real effects wise is that they built practical effects for some of the robot shots instead of all CGI. To me it makes a big difference.

My youngest said it best "Daddy - that is the best movie I've seen so far". The whole family enjoyed the movie.

P.S. The complete set of robots were at Target last night for $13 each.

Last edited:
I have never posted anything like this on RPF
But this is what I thought after watching Real Steel last night

I went in with " This is gonna be another one of those G rated , robot fight movie for kids , and maybe worse"

After watching the movie......
I was WRONG!!!!!!
The Movie exceeded all my expectations. Actually it is one of the best movie I have seen this year so far. The story is actually good and it is not just another sci fi movie. It's a movie with heart.

I didn't even go to the restroom during the movie, held it in all the way after Shawn Levy and the rest of the crews finished their panel.

You guys should go watch it if you have a chance, at the theater or even after DVD comes out. It is worth every single penny
I am sure there will be people who will not like the movie.
But as some one that has seen lots of movies and collect lots of movie props, this is probably one of my favorite

Let me know what you think after this weekend if you go watch it.

BTW, I didn't follow the movie when they were in production because I didn't have any positive out look for this movie. But, I was amazed when Shawn Levy said they actually built real moving Atom and some other full size robos ( By Stan Winston Studio )

Sorry for the long comment, but just want to express how wrong I was LOL

Um, so what was your job title on this film?

Um, so what was your job title on this film?

seriously like a greenhouse in here

although my 9 year old daughter watched a copy a friend brought over that allegedly fell off of a truck near our house... and she seemed to enjoy it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back