Prop Store

Just purchased Demolition Man uniform

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by rydiez, May 17, 2012.

1. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Hey everybody,
    First post here. I just bought my first prop. I got a screen used Demolition Man officer uniform and the hat for $150. The shirt I purchased doesn't have SAPD or the officers id # above the badge which tells me it was a background actors. Im a bit dissapointed because it looks like Abacus Costumes auctioned off many of these for next to nothing last year when they closed their doors. Once it gets here I plan on framing it. Sfdisplay.com seems to have great options.

Anyways, thanks for having me aboard I am very excited to continue in the hobby and see what I can add to the Demolition Man collection.

2. Pobbrett

Pobbrett Well-Known Member

make sure to get some pics up when it comes

3. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

sly is one of if not my favorite actor , i love 80's action , and that movie is awesome , congrats

4. rydiez

rydiez New Member

I will definately get some pics up. Sly is by far my favorite actor. Id kill to get his autograph in person.

5. The Prop Stop

The Prop Stop Sr Member

dont be too disappointed...back in the late 1990's these costumes were selling between $400-2000.

Thats before the market was flooded by Abacus and backlot.

6. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Looks like the one Sandra Bullock wore is going for $1500. Prop Store has a complete uniform for $800 so ya I think I did fine for a shirt + hat:)

7. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I bought the shirt and hat with the SAPD patches for $45 a few months ago from Abacus close out sale.

I would love to get a glowstick or Police radio strap for the costume.

8. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Cool! Can you post some pics jedifyfe?

9. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

What is Abacus? :confused

Congrats on your purchase, Demolition Man was one of Sly´s better movies IMHO!

10. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Welcome and congrats!

11. camerafx24

camerafx24 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have always loved D man and thought the film was alot of fun.

12. Jedifyfe

Sure.

Abacus was a prop/costume wherehouse that bought bulk costumes from the studios. They would buy hundreds of costumes at a time, not knowing what production they came from. We have a member here Mr.Fusion that use to work for them and he is the one that discovered the Ghostbusters "Gozer" costume that they had bought for like $10. It sold at PIH recently for $10,000.

13. RazorBunny

RazorBunny New Member

I bought the Sandra Bullock uniform, and it arrived a couple of days ago. I've been wanting to do a Huxley for a while, but the sewing (especially the embroidery) was just so daunting.

I haven't tried it on yet, been busy, but I will post some photos of it (both on its own and with me in it, if it fits) when I get a chance.

Also, it's missing the top shoulder piece of the holster belt, but I think I can fabricate that myself.

14. rydiez

rydiez New Member

That's awesome! I believe the top piece of the belt is referred to as the "communicator." as far as I know there are none available out there. I also think the badge is next to impossible to find. That really is neat that you have Sandra's uniform. How are you planning on displaying it?

15. Jedifyfe

Here is mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Very nice Jedi! Let me know if you would like to double that $45 investment I'd like to have it!:cool I remember when that user came across the gozer..what a find that was. Im surprised the store let that one slip by them.

17. DocBlizzy

DocBlizzy New Member

Love the movie, seems like a great price for the prop. Do post pics!

18. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Here is mine, got it last night. I cant wait to make my display!

19. sstnickg

sstnickg Active Member

great buys!I bought one that was almost complete, just missing the "communicator",badge, and the jacket, only to find that i couldnt squeeze myself into it.To add to my horror, its a perfect fit for my partner Ros.So now im on the hunt to make up a set for me- just got the shirt and jacket so far [both of which need some modifications to fit my many bulk]...watch this space???

20. rydiez

rydiez New Member

I would watch it eventually somebody will come forward with what you need or point you in the right direction.

21. Jedifyfe

I would like to find the pants and the communicator. I know that someone here has a screen used communicator.

22. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

23. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Nice Ketzer.. did you work on the film?

24. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Thanks. Nope, I wish I did though.

Tim

25. RazorBunny

RazorBunny New Member

Well, the costume goes on my body, but I wouldn't say it "fits" per se. Sandra clearly has a shorter torso than me, and the belt is very small - like a 24" or 26" waist, and I'm at least a 28". I may also be a bit too hippy for the pants, but they're fairly standard riding breeches that I can probably replace for actual wear (and according to the listing, may not have been worn by Sandra).

I'm not sure how I'll display it, to be honest. I'll figure it out.

Here are some pics. I tried to get shots of all the embroidery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

It's interesting the belt is labeled "Lenina" AND also has a generic label / size. I would assume they would custom make a belt for the main cast rather than taking one of of the box with the generic costumes...

Tim

27. Rik1138

Rik1138 Sr Member

I think they labelled all the stuff Sandra wore with the character's name. I have a Huxley top, and the little tag has LH on it (as have hero costumes sold by ScreenUsed I think). I also have a stunt top and it's labeled stunt and does not have the LH tag...

RazorBunny, does yours have a tag in it with initials?

28. rydiez

rydiez New Member

That's really cool razor what an amazing piece from a classic Sly movie

29. Solochaser

Solochaser Well-Known Member

30. RazorBunny

RazorBunny New Member

We have a sign on our bathroom door at home that says "Please Keep Door Closed" and we printed three seashells on it. So far only a few of our friends have gotten it. That might be because most of them ignore it - I can't tell you how many times I've had to close that door at parties...but hey, if they want to get kisses from my dog after he visits the cats' litter box because the door was open, by all means. But I did have one friend come back from the bathroom and say "I hate to bother you, but, I don't know how to use the three seashells."

The blouse does in fact say LENINA inside the collar.

The fact that the belt is so small means I'm going to have to make more than just the communicator piece, I'll have to remake the whole thing. I don't think I've had a waist that small since junior high. It's too bad, really. The zip closure on the belt is a really interesting little bit of engineering.

I'm not doing any cons this year, so I may hold off on trying to work this costume into something I can comfortably wear and just use it for display. The thong panties that are sewn onto the blouse to keep it from riding up are definitely coming off - I have a very long torso, and that thing was making its way into my intestines by the time we were done taking pictures.

Part of me feels a little blasphemous for altering a screen used piece..

31. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Personally, I couodn't do it ESPECIALLY due to the fact it was a main characters wardrobe. But hey it's yours do what makes you happy:love

32. mbaileyh

mbaileyh New Member

Hope your costume is all you hoped. This is one of my favorite 90s action flicks. It's cool to see so many other people digging the style of the uniforms.

"We're police officers. We're not trained to handle this kind of violence..."

33. Propmasters

Propmasters Member

very under rated movie imo, there is some great and very affordable screenused pieces out there from it

- David

34. jfennell

jfennell New Member

Great Pics Razor. I have acquired most of a costume as well. I'm missing the belt and the jacket badge. Actually found a belt but the seller wants $500 for it. Would much rather find the resin badge, if one is out there. I wore the outfit to the last con I went to and got lots of comments.

35. Jay1138

Jay1138 Active Member

Great props everyone! Imagine owning the John Spartan in Cyrosleep prop!

36. rydiez

rydiez New Member

There is aresin badge on yourprops.com other then that I dont know where the others landed. I sure wish I was in this hobby when Abacus went out of business. They had all the uniforms and sold them for next to nothing

37. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I picked up a set thanks to Mr Fusion - who we hung out with and I must say knows his stuff. That place would get boxes of stuff in and he would sift through them and pick out things on sight - like the Gozer costume and Dean Cain's boots from Lois and Clark. He was nice enough to clue me in on some Sky High capes but I picked up a bit more while I was there -

[​IMG]

I got the belt around here somewhere and I know I have two other caps - one is different, with different initials as the name of the city changed during production - I'll have to look for it. I've always loved this movie - it's basically the same premise as Buck Rogers (Both Buck and Kane were frozen in a cave then woke up in the 25th century where they continued to fight.

38. PROP MASTER

PROP MASTER New Member

before stickers

39. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Did you make this? looks great.

40. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Special thanks to RPF Members Jet Beetle and Jedifyfe for helping me complete my uniform.!

I give to you my custom display featuring Screen Used SAPD Officer Shirt, Hat, and Belt.:cool

41. avisplumb

avisplumb New Member

Wow, those are great looking displays. Congrats

42. bionicbaconben

bionicbaconben Active Member

How much was this in total really like it
    could use these for some of my stuff

43. rydiez

rydiez New Member

I actually made this 100% from scratch. There is a lot of material: wood, paint, screws, felt, cork board, glass, hinges etc and quite a bit of labor. If you are interested, I could build one for you, to fit any custom dimension you have.

I went far and above what even I intended but once I started I knew i was capable of a professional display.

Send me a message if you have want details.

44. PROP MASTER

PROP MASTER New Member

made lots of the props for the movie..:cool

45. rydiez

rydiez New Member

Dang! No way? So I take you have lots available to finish my display? :)