Just Ordered Star Wars Chronicles!

AT-AT Luvah

Sr Member
At long last, after literally two years of searching for a reasonably priced copy that was in decent condtion to no avail, I was finally able to order Star Wars Chronicles from Amazon just a short bit ago.

The best part? Paying just $68 and some change for it. After routinely seeing my maximum bid of $150 on eBay constantly being beaten over and over for even non-mint copies, I am soooo proud of myself for being patient and getting this new copy for a steal.

The book is $94.50 at Amazon and I saved another $30 by opening up an Amazon Visa account. I'll pay off the balance shortly and perhaps cancel the card in a month or two (I don't shop at Amazon all that often - just opened it for the $30 promotional certificate).

I am so psyched.

So to all those who want to get it, it's available now online.

And to those who already own it, I'll just confirm again - is the book worth it? I've never actually seen a copy in person.

Hector

Yes it's worth it. :) I recieved mine from amazon, last Friday the 23rd.

Having both, the original Chronicles and Star Wars 365 Days, are 2 great resource's to own.

I thought that chronicles would simply be a reprint of the 1997 text - copyright 2005 - to my happy surprise, it's not, but the same book that was released in 1997/ copyright 1997.

I own SW 365 Days as Well. A great book and an amazingly reasonable price. I think I paid $19.99 for mine.

The picture of the carbon freezing chamber in SW365 is the best I've ever seen.

As for the Chronicles book, is it the same size as the current Prequels Chronicles books? I got to see that at Borders this weekend and man is that thing huge.

Is the 97 OT book the same size?

It's well worth the money allthough i must say mine was a bit more expensive couse it's signed by all the actors where their relevant costumes are shown. :D

Originally posted by AT-AT Luvah@Dec 27 2005, 05:17 PM

As for the Chronicles book, is it the same size as the current Prequels Chronicles books?  I got to see that at Borders this weekend and man is that thing huge.

[snapback]1144617[/snapback]​

Yep, the Chronicles and Prequel Chronicles are the same size.

I was also very happy to see Chronicles re-released. Seeing the eBay auctions go well over $200, I pretty muc decided that i was just never going to get this book. I'm thrilled to have both Chronicles books for less than the '97 release was going to cost me on eBay. :thumbsup

I
was also very happy to see Chronicles re-released. Seeing the eBay auctions go well over $200, I pretty muc decided that i was just never going to get this book. I'm thrilled to have both Chronicles books for less than the '97 release was going to cost me on eBay. 

Kid stuff. Used book dealers were selling this title for $400-$500, so $200 was a steal. Glad to have it back.

A certain RPF member with publishing ties (ahem) put pressure on the publisher to reprint the book. Actually was hoping for a cheap paperback, but the hardcover is very acceptable.

So what's an original SWC still in the box unopened worth?

"To the junkyard you must go."

I received the Prequels Chronicles for Christmas and enjoy it a lot, too. Looks great next to the OT version. Now I just gotta save up for Dressing the Galaxy.

Originally posted by Probe Droid+Dec 27 2005, 07:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Probe Droid @ Dec 27 2005, 07:22 PM)</div>
A certain RPF member with publishing ties (ahem) put pressure on the publisher to reprint the book.
[snapback]1144693[/snapback]​
[/b]

:love My hero.

<!--QuoteBegin-rmschneider104
@Dec 27 2005, 08:12 PM
Now I just gotta save up for Dressing the Galaxy.

Yeah, I've been looking at that one too. It might have to wait though. I want to get some parts for a DL-44 from Blat-Tech and I might have a line on a Ep III clone trooper helmet. There's only so much money in my checking account :cry

Nice score.
Definitely the bible of SW reference books. I'm still thankful to phase pistol for recommending Hamilton books back in 02. A lot of us picked it up for 50US. Considering it sold for well over 200Cnd here, that was quite a deal. :)

Clark

Originally posted by RedTwoX@Dec 27 2005, 07:27 PM

:love  My hero.

WORD. There are a lot of people who owe you a debt of gratitude Probe Droid. I got mine for like $47, when that stash was found a couple years back, but for these folks to be able to get that book for retail (or less) is amazing. It's an awesome book - worth every penny. :)

Way to go man.

-Chris

Thanks, Probe Droid. Seriously.

Yes, I've routinely seen it in the $300 - $400 range myself. To pay only $68 for the hardcover (shipped) is amazing to me.

I can't wait to receive it.

Given my RPF screen name, what can I expect in terms of AT-AT coverage in this book?

Originally posted by AT-AT Luvah@Dec 27 2005, 10:33 PM

Given my RPF screen name, what can I expect in terms of AT-AT coverage in this book?
[snapback]1144835[/snapback]​

6 pages my friend. :)

Enjoy,
Chris

I'm not saying it was reprinted just because of me, but I've been bugging those Chronicle folks for years initially to do a cheapo oversized paperback and then to bring the hardcover back when it went OP. I'm sure they received lots of calls for it, so I was only one voice in the chorus. Regardless of who is reponsible, it's great to have it back. To those for whom Star Wars is a religion, the Chronicles is the bible. For my dime it's the best film tie-in book, period.

Can somebody break down the history of this book for me?

As I understand it, this book was initially published for the Japanese market, right? Due to popular demand it was then translated and brought to the States - correct?

If so, how is the translated text? Is it choppy or is it pretty decent?

Also, how is the paper stock? Do I have to be careful with the binding?

I just recieved one as a gift so I havent spent much time with it. I will say however that the binding on the reprint is very sturdy. Page weight is fantastic - high quality paper. Any thicker and the book would be 100 pounds. The slip case feels like its made of wood. Im just afraid of touching it too much :lol Thats the bad thing about books like this.... I dont know what I would do if I ever bought the Kubrick book.

There is a little blurb inside near the legal mark about the different editions. I believe the Japanese version was in 97 with a later Swedish version. I might be remembering it incorrectly. I can find out for sure tonight for you if nobody else has a chance to look at it.

Okay, I had to resurrect this thread because I came home from work today to a beautifully oversized box from Amazon.

What a fantastic book. I am soooooo glad this was reprinted and I am now among the proud owners of this reference-quality tome.

Wow, I mean wow. The AT-AT pages are now sacred texts to me.

But there were so many shots that I'd never seen before in my life and I've made it my business to scour the earth for all things Star Wars.

More than ever, I have a newfound respect for the craftsmanship and artistry that went into the creation of the Original Star Wars Trilogy.

If I had one complaint about this book, and believe me it's a tiny complaint, is that I would have omitted the section on the Ewok films and the Holiday Special. While I understand the rationale behind their inclusion, I would have much rather seen more on the Original Trilogy films.

Oh and by the way, I was surprised that there was very little reference photography on the OT sabers. Not a big deal in my book since it's all about the models for me, but surprising nonetheless.

Highly recommended for those on the fence and see my first post in this thread for the way to get this book at a bit under $70 shipped.

Oh and I would be remiss if I did not make mention of what a beautiful book Chronicles is in its own right. Amazingly big and preposterously heavy, it means business.

My wife even commented on how beautiful the photography, the paper stock, and the outer slipcase appear.

It is now the centerpiece of my SW reference library. Along with SW 365 days, I think these items are indispensable.

Now the questions is - do I pull the trigger on the Prequels version of Chronicles?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back