Just Got my PG Falcon!

whb64

Whoohoo!
I don't have it yet... I picked up my layaway at my local hobby store and put the PG Falcon on layaway! So technically I don't have it yet, but I will in a few weeks!

I'm not sure when I will get around to building it, and that's going to drive me nuts! I have too many projects in the works right now to start another one. After I move and setup my new workshop area I'll probably have several kits going at once and this will definitely be one of them.

I bet you are as excited as I am! Even more so since you actually have yours in hand! We opened the box in the store just to check and make sure it had lights, I think the clerk was just as interested as I was to see the contents!

So what are your plans? To build it in flight or landed? I was thinking doing it landed wouldn't look right with the engines lit while it is landed. Another question... the exhaust fans under the grills (I am assuming they are exhaust fans/turbines aren't they?) Has anyone ever motorized them and made them spin that you know of? :)

I plan on building mine in flight mode and making my own stand and mount. As for the fans, not that I know of, but it's a cool idea!

Robert:)

We opened the box in the store just to check and make sure it had lights, I think the clerk was just as interested as I was to see the contents!

'Zactly! I open every kit immediately, and if I buy it from a shop, I open it before I leave. And no way would I spend this much money on a kit and not want to make sure. I gots two of these kits--one to build fairly soon-ish and one to wait until I recover from the first build and wait for whatever goodies come around. It might be years, and I don't wanna find out then something is amiss.
Mike Todd

I plan on building mine in flight mode and making my own stand and mount. As for the fans, not that I know of, but it's a cool idea!

Robert:)
Yeah that would be an interesting detail, but really difficult to do. Too many to have a motor for each, but that could be done, just that the noise would be crazy loud! The other option would be one motor and then gears.. but to quote a line from a different franchise... "Who would want to build it?" (meaning the gear assembly).

Now I have to watch a grunch load of videos and see what all aftermarket parts are recommended and how much they will cost. I've already seen some videos where they talk about the cockpit not being right for ANH, and some of the lights could use some tweaks and updates. My guess is this build will probably have well over $500 in it when everything is said and done.

I haven't decided yet whether I want to do an in-flight version or maybe try to do a hanger bay diorama with some X-Wings, and an A-Wing and Y-Wing all in 72 scale. Again, I don't think it would look right with the engine on while landed and that seems like such a waste. Maybe a sound module with Han saying 'Chewie start the engines'... ;)

I’ve motorized my fans. Pretty easy. Only problem is the motors do impinge on the battery holder area, which could be an issue if you’re keeping the stock battery case.

nkg that wouldn't be a problem, I don't have any issue switching to an external power supply if needed.

Do you have a build log or some videos? I'd love to see those fans!

I'm afraid I haven't got a build log per se. I've been working on all kinds of fiddly detail this 'n' thats before building the actual model!

710x528_21238176_11809739_1516369456.jpg

710x528_21238159_11809739_1516369456.jpg

710x528_21238158_11809739_1516369456.jpg

After you mentioned this I found a guy on Shapeways that does these. Question, how bad is the noise with SIX motors running! Three in my Viper are pretty distracting. Also do you remember where you sourced your motors from and what the part number is? It took me a bit of searching to find low RPM motors for my viper. The original ones I tried were so fast you couldn't even see the turbines! Kinda ruined the effect so I had to find slower motors,

I'm really torn on which way to go with this when I do the build- landed or in flight. I just think it would look odd with the engines lit up when it is landed, but I also like the lit gangway and look of the landing gear.

Yes, they do make noise. Not crazy loud but you can hear them. They’re cheap planetary gear motors so most of the noise is from the nylon gears meshing. As you say you can’t just stick a normal fast motor in there since they’d run so quickly that the blades are essentially invisible. And what’s the point then?

I used six 8mm stepper motors in my 1/144 Bandai MF and eventually in my PG for so many reasons, first, the noise, the stepper motors make very little noise, second, control, I used two A4988 "StepStick" stepper motor drivers and an Arduino "Pro-Mini. With this combination I have infinite speed control that is very hard to get with any other type of motor in this size and price, everything in my 1/144 MF for this effect was under $20.00. But more importantly I can coordinate, motors/NeoPixals/sound with the Arduino and will have a starting, flight, landing and power down sequence, when done. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to post another approach and some of the Shapeways fans might work.

Bandai MF Fan Mod15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely didn't hijack anything, in fact I'd like more info on your setup! Do you have the Arduino code and schematic on how you wired up the StepStick, motors, and Arduino?

Also, Teslabe's work inspired me to motorize my fans. I just took a different approach as I didn't want to deal with steppers.

Of course, I'm still looking into adding some servos for other functions...

Well it may sound crazy, but I just bought a 1/72 Force Awakens Falcon. Not because I plan on accurizing it or anything like that, rather to practice painting the same scale Falcon and weathering it. That way I can work out my technique on a cheap kit. I know it's not accurate, but what the hell... I figure I'll hang this one from the ceiling in a flight pose and from a distance it won't look that bad with all the inaccuracies (hopefully).

Well it may sound crazy, but I just bought a 1/72 Force Awakens Falcon. Not because I plan on accurizing it or anything like that, rather to practice painting the same scale Falcon and weathering it. That way I can work out my technique on a cheap kit. I know it's not accurate, but what the hell... I figure I'll hang this one from the ceiling in a flight pose and from a distance it won't look that bad with all the inaccuracies (hopefully).

Makes good sense. I’ve ordered the Bandai 1:144 Falcon for the same reason. Even at a smaller scale, the painting and weathering practice should benefit the major build. Looking forward to building both.
Good luck with yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also, Teslabe's work inspired me to motorize my fans. I just took a different approach as I didn't want to deal with steppers.

Of course, I'm still looking into adding some servos for other functions...
Do you have a link to tyour build and the motors you used?

I have to admit I am a little leery about drilling and hacking up a $350 kit.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back