Just got a vacuum chamber, now which pump? (kind of time sensitive)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Icetigris, May 17, 2012.

1. Icetigris

Icetigris New Member

I just bought this 3 gallon vacuum chamber here: Vacuum chamber VAC-IT PRO for degasing urethanes etc | eBay

And I'm looking at a 3.5 CFM pump (for which the ebay listing ends tonight) that has a max vacuum draw of 29"Hg. Does that seem like a reasonable pump for that chamber? I want to degas silicone rubber and resins and the like.

2. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

I built a system for a friend that used a Robinair 15600 6 CFM Vacuum Pump, and it was speedy enough but I wouldn't have wanted a lower cfm. Having said that, it was a much larger tank.

It was about $270 on Amazon Prime.

Maybe somebody that has a 3.5cfm jump in about if it's plenty fast.

3. Icetigris

Icetigris New Member

Someone slipped a bid in at the last moment so I didn't get the pump, but there are more where it came from. The vacuum chamber seller told me it would take about 2 minutes with a 3.5 CFM pump.

I was wondering, since I also want to do airbrushing, but would rather not have to buy 2 pumps, how powerful of a compressor would I need to buy to draw a hard vacuum with a venturi pump?

4. exoray

exoray Master Member

The more CFM at higher psi the better... I don't have the numbers off hand (they very well could be in an old post here) but with my small portable pancake air compressor I can pull a decent vacuum with the HF venturi but no where near as well as I can with my big v-twin air compressor... With the pancake compressor I can still get a decent pull down but it requires I close the tank and let the compressor charge up, pull down a little more, close the tank and let the compressor charge up and so on... It's a hassle but it can be done... Get vacuum pump it simply works better if you can budget it...

5. gobler

gobler Sr Member

I built mine using a JB Platinum pump I bought off of fle-bay. Works like a champ. One thing to conceder, if you are degassing more small cups, or pints of silicone, or whatever get a smaller chamber for a quicker draw. Just a thought.

Sent from somewhere in space & time...

6. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the HF venturi? I have an 80gal comp so it would be nice to be able to use it rather then buy a dedicated vac pump.