Just getting started

modified

Hello everyone I am glad to be a part of the community, it seems like there is a lot of interesting people here. If it would not be to much trouble I would like to know what type of modeling clay you guys use, and if you can please name some pros and cons of the clay. Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Once again glad to be a part of the forum.

Well I use Van Aken Modelling Clay it costs I think $4.36 for a 4.5 pd. Block. And I usually order a lot of it. I alays go through Dick Blick Art Supplies on the internet to get it at that price. The pro's and cons to it is that it's very, very hard to work with it unless you're working with it in a warm enviroment. The pro's to it is that it's very easy to soften it up by sticking in in a pot in the stove at 150 degrees to soften it up. You don't want it to turn into a liquid in there just want to turn it into a putty thickness. Then I'll put it on top of a mannquin head for sculpting while wearing thick latex gloves, and I can usually get the shape of the sculpt down within 15-30 minutes.

Thanks man I will look into it, another question what do you use as a base I am low on cash at the moment so I cannot make a mold of my own head. Do you think that I can make due with a foam head.

I use one of the large male foam heads from the craft store as long as your clay is not fully melted you won't have any problem with the head spreading it on, you don't want to have your clay a liquid thickness because if it is you might melt the styrofoam. If you're making a helmet be sure to measure the foam head, your head and keep taking measurments after each layer of clay that you put on. You'll want the pile of clay to be larger than your head or the size of the object you're making it into since you'll be removing clay to get your sculpt done.

this is extremely late, but van aken plastelina is one of the softer clays out there. Its easy to use, for low detail sculpts. Because it softens up very easy by hand. For more detailed sculpting I would use Chavants NSP medium clay. Or even MonsterMakers.com product.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I myself use a plastic manaquin head/bust I purchased off of ebay for $15. It is much easier to clean off. The draw back is clay doesn't stick to it well.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Try $4.00 For a 1 lbs brick. The 4.5 lbs bricks cost more like $13.00

Well I use Van Aken Modelling Clay it costs I think $4.36 for a 4.5 pd. Block. And I usually order a lot of it. I alays go through Dick Blick Art Supplies on the internet to get it at that price. The pro's and cons to it is that it's very, very hard to work with it unless you're working with it in a warm enviroment. The pro's to it is that it's very easy to soften it up by sticking in in a pot in the stove at 150 degrees to soften it up. You don't want it to turn into a liquid in there just want to turn it into a putty thickness. Then I'll put it on top of a mannquin head for sculpting while wearing thick latex gloves, and I can usually get the shape of the sculpt down within 15-30 minutes.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back